Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Being a Woman SOOoo Expensive?

Why is Being a Woman SOOoo Expensive?

Oh my God girls, I just have to vent here.

I am anticipating having some time to dress later this year, so I have been going shopping online. I REALLY want to buy this "hairdo" hair extensions, but the one I want is expensive. I also want to buy shoes, maybe a dress or skirt, as well as certain makeup products. I really want to go all out this time with dress, shoes, hair, and makeup but I think it's getting a tad too expensive.

Why is being a woman so expensive, ladies?

GGs, I'd love to hear your opinion.
    Ladies & Gentlemen, HER. 💋🌸💗

Startup costs are always expensive. Don't forget there are SALE racks at all the stores and there's Ebay too.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I may not be a GG but I think I may know the answer.

Retailers and producers of make-up, ladies fashions, shoes etc prey on women want to look and feel the best they can. It's almost feeding an addiction like smoking or drinking. Most women would not dream of being seen without make-up. When a person gets paid things like cigarettes come before putting food on the table and to some extent make-up is the same. As a CDer to some extent I feel the same I find myself buying make-up even though money for every day living is very short.

Maria
    The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies

Being a man is expensive too.
    Grooming, smart clothing and taking women to expensive restaurants.
    Especially when you miss out at the end of the night.
    I think we women have it good.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi,

Well Im not so sure, i have made some 14 different outfits for two quite different groups im a member of 1400 -1700 Renaissance and 1900 =14 , Edwardian plus i get given clothes that fit nicely , now had i needed to buy them i would have struggled , so i make my own clothes ,

My normal clothes some i brought new some are second hand very much with in my price range, if any i like & dont fit i redo them or add panel's so they do, most of what i wear are long skirts so i mix and match ,

I learnt sewing & makeing years ago so its really just time doing them And i get to wear them and show off what i come up with,

Makeup is allmost nill i really dont need it, just lippy & eye brow liner.thats it shoes my normal ones are leather & last well. flat heeled i prefer. Hair is allso a non issue, or wigs , though i do have 3, normaly i dont wear any only for one of our groups, i happen to be a very low cost female, yet can look smart when i need to other wise im pretty normal in day to day wear,

...noeleena...

If you think cross-dressing is an expensive 'hobby', try something like playing electric guitar, photography or collecting Bentleys

Being a woman has never been cheap, no matter what form it comes in.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Too true! I've spent ten times more on female clothing and products than male. I have more skirts, underwear, hosiery etc. than my wife

I HATE buying men's clothes, hence the lack of varied male wardrobe that I have.

Look better, feel better in female attire....like most of us I guess?

It is what you make it. I have $5 Old Navy t-shirts, and I have $80 Dior t-shirts. I'm wearing my payless flats, while eating breakfast, but I may put on $700 Louboutin's when I meet my sister for lunch later.
    Two things that cheap just doesn't work- wigs, and makeup.
    I see you're in san Diego. At least you don't have to buy winter clothes. Wool, and cashmere can wreak havoc on the wallet.

It costs a lot of money to look this cheap.
    Dolly Parton
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Being a woman is not expensive. Dressing like one can be expensive (there is a difference), but it does not have to be expensive. It is a choice and there are low cost options. You may not like the options and elect not to partake in them, but they exist.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    ...............Startup costs are always expensive. .............
    ROFL

So THATS why women generally look for older financially secure men !?!

Now gg's don't pile on me, it's a fact .
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Tamma, with a little research female clothes do not need to be expensive. It all depends on your style and taste and what you are willing to spend. The first skirt I purchased while shopping with my wife cost $9 at a consignment shop. Eddie Baur deniem original retail $54. Ebay is another good source once you know your sizes well. Khaki skirt from Target, retail $34, scored one on ebay for $4.99 and $3.25 shipping, it was new and still had the tags. Shoes are another story but a just like my male wardrobe I try to stay with classic styles that tend to stay in fashion. Of course there is always the "must have item" that seems extravagant but hey a girl needs some of that in her life also. My wife and two of her friends shop consignment shops all of the time. All three are petite and attractive and find fabulous buys at these shops for about 20% of the cost of new. She also says that this lets her buy things that she may only wear once or twice without feeling guilty. I always tell her that she has the figure to make a gunny sack look fabulous while I would make a $1000 dress look like a gunny sack.

Good luck with your shopping.
    Ellen Jo
    Last edited by EllenJo; 09-06-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Somtimes the light's all shining on me, Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it's occured to me.....What a long strange trip it has been.
    Truckin by the Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly DeWinter View Post

So THATS why women generally look for older financially secure men !?!
    Not just GGs I am looking for that too

Now gg's don't pile on me, it's a fact .
    At least partially true
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Well having fun is always expensive! Sometimes you have to go fishing in a pond instead of going to the ocean on a ship!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Women LOVE bargains, partly for this reason. Every woman I shop with doesn't even look at the front of the store until after she's checked out the "bargain rack". Some even pick the DAYS they go shopping because prices are lower at the end of the month, before everyone gets their government checks - especially true in military towns.

A KEY DIFFERENCE between CDs and GGs is that CDs only want to look as sexy and beautiful as they possibly can - even if they never leave the house. For some of us, it's compensating for the parts of masculinity that can't easily be hidden with make-up. For others, the goal of dressing is to experience the fantasy of being a beautiful and elegant woman in an exotic and wonderful place.

Real women, and the TS crowd, have to buy MOST of their wardrobe for the things they do every day. Unless they are in sales, marketing, or dealing face to face with very affluent customers, most women don't have to look all that great most of the time. In the summer they wear short dresses because they are cooler. In the winter, they wear leggings or pants because they are warmer. Women who work and live in climate controlled environments tend to dress more for comfort. The shirt fits looser, isn't low cut, and the pants are loose and stretch so they can move and be comfortable.

Men's clothes tend to be thicker, baggier, and completely hide the body underneath. When I've quite dressing I've DOUBLED my weight, with almost no comments. Even when I'm losing weight, most people notice NOTHING until I've lost at least 50 lbs. One of the things I love about going out femme is that it makes me more aware of my body. If Rex goes to a restaurant, he's likely to order the porter house stake, mash potatoes, gravy, biscuits, clam chowder or cream of something soup, and a veggie, with a piece of pie ala mode for desert - and that's just ONE MEAL! When I'm in "forced Rex mode" - I can easily pack away 4,000 calories in a single sitting, and I'm still hungry.

When Debbie goes to the same restaurant, it's a petite stake, steamed vegetables, onion soup, and a salad, with vinegar and oil dressing. In Debbie mode, not only is this plenty to eat, but it's probably the biggest meal of the day.

After a couple years of Forced Rex mode, Rex had a heart attack and a stroke. After a few months of Debbie mode, my doctor told me "you have the body of a 20 year old, you'd better give it back before someone reports HER missing. He's referring to my blood-work of course, as well as my blood pressure, resting heart rate, and muscle tone. If my doctor saw the correlation, he would be telling the insurance company they would save a bundle by giving me HRT and SRS.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

It's not. Rather, it's dirt cheap. Let's look at it this way:

Mens Womans

shoes $ 60.00 $ 6,200.00
    Shirts 30.00 1,112.00
    hair 20.00 4,230.00
    pants 45.00 1,118.00
    underwear 12.00 1,500.00
    Makeup 4.00 4,000.00
    Jewelry 300.00 9,000.00
    Dresses/skirts 1.00 1,1000.00

Hah, so there you have it. See told you so. Er, what was the question again?

I'm guessing the reason being a women "is" more expensive, is simply because women require a lot more stuff than guys? Unless you intentionally use 1500$ on shoes each time
    Transgender girl

I think what makes it expensive is maintaining a male and female wardrobe. Wish I could get rid of one - now which one do you think that would be?
    I dance to a different beat.

Just realised that I've spent several hundred quid ( quid is to pound as buck is to dollar for you stateside gals) on womenswear in the last year and almost nothing on bloke stuff .. starting to look a bit threadbare and scruffy to the outside world whilst swanning around at home in new lingerie, tops, skirts and dresses .. um .. yeah
    It's complicated, then again it's simple ... where did I put that skirt?

Trying to look good in either gender is expensive. If you haven't looked outside lately, there are a lot of GGs and GMs that don't spend more than $5 on their entire outfit. Flip-flops, a t-shirt and a pair of sweats and that's on a good day.... for most of the humans in this part of the country.

For me, I prefer to look good no matter how I go out. Turning into a female takes a little more work and a little more costs as I wasn't born with a narrow waist, wide hips or large breasts so that's where most of the money goes....

Once you have the basics, hair, makeup, hips, waist, breast, the clothes... it just takes time and effort to look good....

Renne.....

This is not the full reason, but consider how competitive the fashion industry is by the advertising they do...I've often seen full-page or even two-page ads in Vogue for something like a new lipstick....the ad costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, depending on how many times they run it....how many lipsticks to they have to sell just to pay for the ad?

I don't think it's all that expensive, when you compare it to other "hobbies" Build a hot rod, you want to see your money go, or worst yet, a classic car, real money spent. Even Golf, a game a lot of men play. A good bag, clubs, balls, a special outfit, and then the green fees, I can get a couple of cute dresses for the cost of green fees.
    I buy sales, and clearances, and it's cheaper than a lot of things I would have been doing as a guy. Ever priced a sail boat?
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    I'll also back Cheryl's take on "start up cost are expensive." Maybe starting a women's wardrobe is more expensive than a mans. Being a men's wardrobe style is not really as important, shirt, pants, shoes and your there. For business work attire 1 or 2 suits, a couple dress shirts, a few ties, polo's and slacks or khaki's and your done. Save on hair cost by just shaving and going bald eliminating the need to go to a barber. With a woman's wardrobe once your a few years past the start up phase, and you know your look, brands, sizes, etc. The maintenance cost is not too bad, being make up, electro (if your into it), razors for shaving everywhere else, wig replacement, replacement of intimates (which should not be much a problem a few years after building the wardrobe, because most CD's me included have purchased enough hose, panties and bras to last 2 lifetimes)

For new outfits it's knowing where to find the deals, sales, 2nd hand clothing stores etc to hold down cost. For comparison I did a standard Goodwill Shopping spree where I purchased 4 skirts, and 3 tops for all of $40.00. Along with my massive, shoe, jewelry, and hosiery color collection dozens of different combos can be achieved with that.

Purchasing male clothes in Goodwill is more difficult because their suit collection usually never fits my build (too big) or is very out dated or inappropriate, (think 70's-80's gangsta, pimp, or over the top flashy rap star and not conservative business appropriate suits. So it's off to Khols for my cheapest option for a new suit $99 to $200 not to include dress shirt, tie etc. Not too include tailoring if needed.
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

Quote Originally Posted by Tamma View Post
    Why is being a woman so expensive
    As far as hair, most girls grow their own; they dye it 'just for a change, because change is good' (BS). Clothes, there are reasonably priced catalogs and stores, you only have to pay a lot if you want to. Jewelry, no one knows if it's a real gem unless you tell them. Women's shoes are cheaper than mine (I wear a 16). I never understood what women see in $500 shoes. Other women feed into this insanity, especially by judging other women's stuff mainly by how much it costs, designer labels, etc.. I don't know any men that give a hoot about how much a woman's stuff costs, we pretty much only care about how good it enhances her curves; Kmart stuff looks as good as high fashion stuff, especially if it's revealing. When we see a girl in a short skirt, we're not really paying attention to the skirt. Well, maybe some of us here are, thinking we'd like to wear it, but in regards to the girl we're looking at, the clothes don't matter all that much. One little black dress is as good as another; hopefully, they all wind up in a pile in the corner by midnight.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.