Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is Being a Woman SOOoo Expensive?

Blondes Have More Fun Jennifer Kelly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tgirlceleste View Post
    I see you're in san Diego. At least you don't have to buy winter clothes. Wool, and cashmere can wreak havoc on the wallet.
    Oh we have winter here. But it doesn't snow and only lasts about 3 or 4 weeks.

I'm a San Diego native, so to me cold is when the daytime temps drop below 60. But you are correct in that I don't own anything wool or cashmere.

Banned Read only
    CD's have it worse.

After all, we end up having to fund two sets of wardrobes!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamma View Post
    I REALLY want to buy this "hairdo" hair extensions, but the one I want is expensive. I also want to buy shoes, maybe a dress or skirt, as well as certain makeup products. I really want to go all out this time with dress, shoes, hair, and makeup but I think it's getting a tad too expensive.
    There's a wide range in price for whatever you want to buy. Have you looked around for bargains? It takes homework before finding them.

How much would a suit, shirt, and shoes cost compared to a dress and shoes? IMO you can find a dress and shoes for a lot less money. Admittedly, hair extensions are an added expense, and as a man you do not have to buy makeup, so there is an additional cost there. But drugstore cosmetics come at a bargain ... you don't have to buy the pricey stuff in department stores.

Also, when I buy makeup it lasts a long time. So don't forget to divide the cost over the length of time that you will be using the products. You will find that you are paying only a few cents per wearing.
    Reine

I don't think that women's clothing and accessories are any more expensive that comparable men's items. My experience in life with men is that men are basically very cheap and won't spend anything more than they have to on most things, especially clothing. When I was working, I had to really dress. It was not unheard of for me to spend $700 on a suit, $200 on shoes, $75 on a shirt, and $50 on a tie. That totals up to over $1,000 for an outfit.

So, for me to spend $200 on a dress and $300 on a bag is not out of line.

Most women, if they are in a profession where they have to present well, feel the same way.

Most guys will spend as little as possible, and their personal appearance looks it.

Jodi

Hmmm.

Harley-Davidson Road Glide Custom motorcycle: $19,799.

Ford Super Duty F-450 Lariat pickup: $61,680.

Cirrus SR-22 light aircraft: $635,900

Manly things aren't purchased as often, but they cost big chunks of cash.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Platinum Member
    Hi Tama, Being a long time CD can be very expensive too.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I've actually found the opposite. When I go shopping for men's pants, for example, I usually have to go to a big and tall shop, and usually have to pay $70-$80 per pair. Dress shirts that are thick enough and still comfortable - usually around $30 per pair.

In the plus size department, I can get women's slacks - which are long enough (34 inch inseam), and I can wear to work. Cost is arount $10-$20 per pair.

Of course, I need fewer men's clothes, because there are only a few cuts I wore for both pants and shirts, and the color selection is also rather limited and boring. And they last for years. I've had men's shirts that I finally threw out after 20 years, and even then they were wearable, I just didn't want them anymore.

I still wear men's shirts to work. But nearly all of them were Christmas presents, thank you gifts, or similar presents. Most are over 5 years old. Even the newest ones were from last Christmas. Men's styles change so little, year to year and season to season. For a man who drives an air conditioned car from his air conditioned home to his air conditioned office, the fashions don't change at all. At BEST there might be a switch to short sleeves in the hottest months of summer.

Even Men's shoes tend to be long term and limited need. Most men have their work shoes, what they wear for work, and their play shoes, the ones they wear for exercise, recreation, and just bumming around. These shoes are also designed for longer wear, and the result is that most men only need new shoes about once per year.

Even more important is that the nature of men's clothes is to make them look as much like the other men as possible. No coincidence that most men's clothing is very similar to men's military uniforms. Even the necktie goes back to WW1 when every soldier wore such a tie in case a tourniquet was needed on the battlefield. Coats got lots of pockets to gear could be carried when the soldier had to travel light, such as when under fire. The result is that men are generally expected to dress like the other men in their environment. At work, they will dress like the other men at work. At social events, they will dress like the other men at those social events - sporting events being the most dramatic example.

For women, however, clothing is a reflection of their personality, they physical situation, and their mood. Furthermore, during courtship years, their is also the desire to attract men. As a result, clothing for younger women tends to fit more closely to the body, showing curves, and showing skin in warm months. Older women often want to look a bit younger, so they still like their clothes to fit their shape, but they might want to hide bulges that come with age.

The problem for women is that everyone's shape changes. Men don't have much problem, because the clothes hide shape as much as possible, hiding irregularities and vulnerabilities that might help an enemy target. But since women's clothing is more closely fitted, changes in weight or fitness level can result in need for new clothes to replace those that are either too loose, or too tight, simply because there has been a change of 5-10 lbs.

At party and social events, especially fund raisers, there is the chance to be Cinderella at the ball. These are the events where women want to look their very best, partly for status, but also to help increase the amount raised at the event. Husbands tend to open up their wallets a bit more when they have beautiful wives at their sides, and are admiring the other beautiful wives. Romance is in the air. Compliments are given by all, and a woman wants to look and feel like she is beautiful. Since she's not the only one, she doesn't have to feel that she is TOO pretty or TOO sexy. Of course, these are also the most expensive outfits, and the ones that most cross-dressers want to wear.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

You can get good stuff for good prices by shopping around, going to sales, goodwill etc. I got my first makup at Dollar General. Makeup brushes, $1, Makeup $1-$2 and its reasonable quality. I use better stuff now, but to get started and learn how to use it, its perfect.

I just bought 2 dresses at JCP on clearance racks. Feel free to take stuff into the dressing rooms to try them on, even in male mode. I always do. One dress was $4.95, the other was $11.95, normally in the $40 - $60 range. I've gotten new shoes from Platos Closet for $3-$12 a pair. Also the clearance racks at DSW and Famous Footwear are good. My first outfits came from Goodwill (can also try on in dressing rooms).

For wigs, I generally spend about $25-30, and find them at local independent beauty supply stores. I prefer Kankalon fiber as its heat stylable. I also found breast forms (self bra) at Walmart for $25. Actually very nice quality, see post in shopping.

From scratch, you can put together everything for one or two outfits for under $100.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain

When I'm in a shopping mood, I'll head to the thrift stores first. I've found some great deals on everything from tops and dresses to accessories and intimates, i.e. nighties and camisoles (you gotta be very selective and careful about those items) I've also found designer shoes that have never been worn at the Value Village for under twenty dollars. Just look at the sole and inside and you can tell they have never been used.

Make up, on the other hand is touch and go. I was at the make up counter at a local dept. store last week, picking up this, that and the other things and before I knew it I had close to a hundred dollars in lipstick, eye shadow, make up sponges, concealer, etc. It adds up very fast.

I guess that it all depends on what you willing to spend for what you want to wear. You can get cheap foundation garments easily enough but I'd rather pay a little extra for Playtex or MaidenForm. Or, would you like to wear Vanity Fair panties or Jockey for Her?
    I sometimes think I'm such a fairy