Thread: Supportive Friends

Supportive Friends

I have recently come out to some friends and relatives who are close to me. One friend who I didn't expect to be supportive was. A very macho retired law enforcement. He had very kind words and has wrote an email expressing his support and friendship.

I've heard from other other girls that this often happens the friends you thought were progressive react less than expected and the redneck uncle is very supportive. I was wondering if anyone has had unexpected support from a friend or relative after coming out or transitioning???

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar
    First, I am very happy for you that you could come out and tell everyone. That takes courage.

I guess the question I want to ask s whether you will be dressing around them now since they know.

I can't answer you question about coming out because I have not. But I would be interested in knowing your answer to mine.

For me, that seems to be the case every time! Now my best friends are the ones I feared would never except me! You never know!!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Proud of you for coming out can't answer your question though because I not as brave as you.

Banned Read only
    My mom was surprisingly cool about it, but wasn't ready to meet Jenny. I think I feel the same way. Otherwise all my female friends have been extremely supportive. Some have bought me stuff, and others want to go shopping with me. I always feel like I did something right when a gg tells me I'm wearing really cute sandals. At least some think Jenny has cute taste.

I have not experienced such support but I have given support to others that have been pleasantly surprised.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

People are funny that way. Some folk, who profess to be tolerant, understanding, and 'open to new experiences', often say that simply so that they do not appear to be bigoted, racist, sexist, or whatever. But then they get gobsmacked by having to face 'that-which-is-different', and the facade drops, exposing their true feelings.

It's often times the ones who don't wave flags about how 'open and accepting' that truly are accepting.

Plus, we all have a tendency to gauge other people by the prism of our own perspective, so that we sometimes misjudge how others will react.

All in all, I guess it's just a toss of the dice.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!