Thread: Flying Pretty

Flying Pretty

I want to share the experience of my return trip home from SCC this week for any who are curious about what such a thing might be like. This is my experience and your mileage may vary of course

I was undecided if I would make this attempt at the beginning of the week, but when Sunday came around I wasn't going to have time to get them taken off so I guess I had to didn't I

So the hard part of this was my luggage which pretty much was my own body weight. I consolidated my carry on and my laptop bag so I could carry my purse (protip - One carry on and one personal bag means if you have a carry on bag, you can't get away with a laptop and a purse if they are paying attention!).

First step was MARTA, the light rail from hotel to airport. Had to switch trains half way through. Which meant moving and storing heavy bags, ugh. Minor interaction with passengers, all positive, a gentlemen gave me and a friend with me his seat and took another so we could use the bag storage area more effectively, that was nice!

Got bags checked in at airport and to the security line. Kinda long. Joked with some of the other passengers, said hello to others in line I recognized from the conference (2)..

ID check time. Got a slightly funny look, then said leaned in and said quietly...its not a recent photo... got a bit of a grin, he said it was ok, said thank you uh ma'am uh sir uh, the last bit was very quiet, so I smiled said thank you and moved on.

Through the scanner (forms on of course)...right past it the agent said she needed to pat my shoulder and knee, did so and sent me on my way.

Picked up my stuff. Went to a food place, bought some fruit and coke zero, compared toenail art with the cashiers, went to the gate, paid to get a better boarding position, got on the plane in an empty row.

I took a window seat in aisle 20. I like window seats. A woman a little older than me took the aisle and a younger man took the middle. They both slept or read the whole way, not really in flight talkers it would seem. I ended up sleeping most of the way also.

Got off the plane, got my bags, got onto the parking shuttle, tipped the driver, got into my car, freshened up my makeup, got a little upset when I saw a stray hair in the wrong place I should have caught in the morning, shrugged it off, paid for parking, drove to filbertos for yummy fast mexican food, went home, the end.

Very uneventful. And easier than I expected.

That's my story. Do with it what you will

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Great story, thanks for sharing. I've never flown pretty although I have ridden the train pretty a few times.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

You go girl. Glad it went o.k. for you.
    Angie

Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it.

Nice!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Good for you girl, that must have given you a big confidence boost.
    Link to my flickr photostream:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kandybarr

Always good to hear other travel adventures or non adventures as the case may be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain

Keep it up, you will soon learn that traveling as a woman is a truly rewarding experience which only gets better each time you do it. Now that I am living as Nicole full time, and into my transition, all of my travel is done as a woman and with each trip it becomes more enjoyable.

Hi Oliviall,
    What a coincidence! We seem to have the same story. I flew pretty to Atlanta for SCC too!

I wore a black/white floral print dress with a white sweater. I basically checked a very large suitcase at the ticket counter, and proceeded through TSA screening and the metal detectors. I actually used my male name and my drivers license says male. The TSA agents still "ma'amed" me.

I also had no problem picking up a rental car at Hertz in Atlanta, though fortunately it didn't break down like in your situation. I got a 2013 Toyota Yaris, which was all the car I need.

On the way back to Baltimore, after I landed, I jumped on a very crowded shuttle bus to take me to the long term parking, and even the passengers offered me a seat.

All in all everyone treated me great, and not one thing went wrong. Actually, I was a bit suprised at how lax the TSA agents are, though the one in Atlanta cracked a slight smile and said " have a good flight, ma'am". Having seen a few other SCC attendants on at the airport in Atlanta, it seems TSA is pretty versed up on it.

I did manage to take a couple of pics of me, but they came out fair. You can check them out. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathali...ee/9718340665/

That all sounds great.. for those of you who are thinking of flying pretty you might like to check out this TSA site.
    http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...nder-travelers
    As you can see they are well aware of those transgender travelers who fly pretty.

I'm confused. Why would they not call you ma'am. You're beautiful.

Aspiring Member
    Sounds like it was a great experience. Not sure I have the courage to do so. BTW, Filibertos was a favorite eatery of mine when I lived in AZ.

Starr, I had seen that information before, I just wasn't sure they'd follow their own rules. They did, yay!

Riley... I think it had to do with looking at the ID first. All in good time

Thanks for the kind words everyone

Olivia good fr you.
    Yes there are some aprehensions about flying pretty.
    Mine are international so I rarely bother.
    Beverley travels in the suitcase no worries though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.