Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vulnerable in girl mode?

Vulnerable in girl mode?

I was with my wife the other night and we had to drop by an ATM prior to visiting a local club. On the way we walked down an alley, myself not giving it a second thought until my wife asked "are you sure we should be doing this?". She was mainly concerned for safety reasons. This got me to thinking if I should reevaluate my thinking while out and about dressed. As a guy, I never worry about situations where I could be at risk. I do like feeling pretty and dainty sometimes but may need to consider precautions I haven't considered until now. Has anyone ever had any experiences where you've had to "think like a girl" as far as safety and being out in public has been concerned?

I always try to think like a girl about safety issues (dressed or not)

Sigh, I always knew Christina Kay's Avatar
    Having taught women self defense course's. Try to listen to your intuition, women have a wonderful ,ability with it. Just listen to it , and try to develope this If something doesn't feel right ,it probably isn't. Have to unlearn things, start to be more peripherally aware of your surroundings. Finding a site that talks about women's self defense and the tips they would offer. Would be a really good starting point, to the realities women face. That in male mode we forget or ignore. hugs
    Follow your path.. For only you can decide, which way to go.

I always figure the safest and most practical distance between point A and point B. The idea is to avoid confrontations or bad situations. If someone is determined to attack me, however, they will have to deal with Rich's muscles, not to mention Kate's wicked left hook, heels and handbag which usually weighs a "ton".
    Last edited by Kate Simmons; 09-10-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Any time you are out "dressed like a girl" you should think like a girl. That means avoiding dark places, bad neighborhoods, etc.

Even though you are actually a male and may be able to defend yourself, there's no point in putting yourself in that sort of situation.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I do try to be careful when I'm out but haven't been confronted. But have been asked if I'd like to have a drink with him. I said yes but would be scary if it was otherwise.

You are a target when you are dressed. So many here want to be seen as a woman they don't realize that in many situations you ARE seen as a woman. Women are considered easier prey than males. People who take advantage of this won't stop to consider your height, weight or build. Remember that these are not sexual crimes but violent crimes perpetuated by people who have little ambition but usually lots of brawn. Also realize that the clothing itself makes you less likely to be able to protect yourself. Heels make you unsteady to start with, clothes are usually tighter. I learned this wrestling a drunk on New Years Eve. In male mode I would have thrown him to the floor in minutes. As it was it took almost half and hour just to get him in a chair, and then my dress was over my hips exposing everything underneath. Also remember that these crimes are quick. They don't walk up to you and talk to you usually, they hit and run.

So be aware of your surroundings. Listen for someone behind you. Talk to strangers, say Hi because that tells them you have seen what they look like and you know they are there. If you are confronted, resist and yell as much as possible *(they don't want to hang around long so delaying them scares them). If they are after your purse or money throw it away from you and run the opposite direction. Never walk anywhere alone where you cannot see or be seen by others.
    Sounds good to say you can fight, but you will at least lose something, you won't be unscathed so use it as a last resort.

Most of all don't put yourself in a situation where you feel uncomfortable.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Just a girl on a trip cyndigurl45's Avatar
    In a previous lifetime (male mode) I did an uber masculine job, federal law enforcement tactical medic, basically I was the guy that the cops called when they needed help, I thought if I did this I would be more manly, (Ya right) anyways having said that I am constantly aware of my surroundings BUT as I transitioned I discovered that taking on a possible critical situation in my LBD and heels would be difficult even for me, then HRT has softened my physic which amounts to muscle loss, I could no longer bench 300lbs. So I have adapted to my new lifestyle, never go anywhere alone is the best advice I can give, not always possible by should be a priority when out...

More than anything else, heels make me feel vulnerable and hinder my ability to fight or flee. When exploring someplace new, I feel safer in sandals that I can fling off. I also go out friends and stick to safe neighborhoods.

Platinum Member
    The precautions I'd take when dressed en femme are the same ones I would take any time. I try to avoid situations where I feel there may be any risk - like walking down an alley. I probably wouldn't do that regardless of how I'm dressed!

Dress like a girl think like a girl. Although a mugger might be in for a surprise

It is alway best to "think like a girl" when you are out in public. It is better to avoid a potentially dangerous situation rather than try to get out of it.
    Hugs, Carole

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanyselkoe
    Vulnerable in girl mode?
    Yes, definitely, in fact I positively GET OFF on being vulnerable…

Tiffany,

As a generalization, I would say most Cross dressers, never '“think like a girl” as far as safety and being out in public has been concerned.' Why? Because girls have years of real life experience about being “targets and vulnerable.” It is inculcated into them from an early age through out their lives and they do not have to think about it. They are always aware of it.

It is like muscle memory for them. Take a martial artist, even if they haven't practiced for years, react and block without ever thinking about it, even in non-threatening environments. Your wifes question "are you sure we should be doing this?" and your observation “I never worry about situations where I could be at risk” perfectly reflect the differences in real world training about safety. My wife calls it, “you are just pretending to be a girl syndrome.”

Safety for a cross dresser is like a fish thinking about fire. It just doesn't happen. For a girl, safety is like a fish's awareness of water.

That doesn't mean one cannot develop a new awareness about personal safety while out and about. It will just never be as tuned as GG awareness.

Miriam
    I was quite conscious while at SCC in Atlanta last week, but occasionally came close to slipping. There's a beautifully landscaped garden/ravine behind the hotel where I loved to walk and relax, with a nice network of trails. But I had to frequently remind myself to not venture beyond areas occupied by others, especially at night. Really goes counter to my guy reflexes, but necessary anyway.

Miriam

I remember about 20 years ago my wife and I stayed in The City to attend the symphony. We took a cab to Davies Symphony Hall but afterwards, it was a pleasant evening and I asked my wife if she would like to walk back (0.5 mile) to our hotel in the Union Square area and she answered yes. I was in drab and my wife in heels and I wasn't thinking about where we were beforehand, but I soon realized we were walking through the Tenderloin, and it was a particular busy Saturday night with the prostitutes (male/female/trans) being very active and the bar patrons staggering out the doors onto the street.

I have two scars from my wife: 1) from a finger nail dug into my forearm when trying to fly out of Reno, and 2) from a finger nail dug into my right hand as my wife had me in a death grip until we reached our hotel.

Safety for a woman (whether a TG/TS or cis) is a very real thing and as some have said above, know where you are and plan ahead. I do that now!
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

There are times I can tell you that I feel vulnerable when dressed like a girl. I never thought this would be the case, however I now know why gg's feel nervous when out at night. I sure do.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 09-11-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: comment removed

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Having been trained to defend myself by and with whatever means I still stay very aware of what is around me.Even in guy mode I'm like that.

You ARE more vulnerable when you are dressed. When you are wearing heels, hose, a short skirt, a nice blouse, and a bra, your ability to use MOST of your male self defence strategies are nearly useless. Self defense for women is totally different. First and foremost, is not PROVOKING an attacker. If someone is rude to you, you shrug it off and move away, move to a more public area, a place where you can ask for help if you need it.

You learn to yell FIRE when you are being attacked. Yelling RAPE will bring a lot of spectators who want to watch, yelling FIRE bring out REAL heroes who actually will take action to stop the threat.

You learn to use the heels, on the arch of his foot, rather than trying to kick at the obvious places. Balancing on heels makes a high kick very difficult for anyone who has not trained to fight in heels.

Learning to appear MORE vulnerable, pulling your hands to your shoulders with your fingers relaxed and slightly curled will make you look more vulnerable, but it's actually like a rattlesnake that is coiled up for a defensive strike. If the perpetrator moves closer, you now have the ability to fully extend your relaxed hand (NEVER make a fist), putting the heel of your hand into his nose (potentially killing him or causing a VERY bloody nose), and the relaxed fingers will scratch the eyes, temporary blinding him - giving you time to kick off your heels and run to the more public area where you can get help.

You need to be more aware of your surroundings. Are there people calling out to you? Are they making comments that are offensive? What is there distance from you? Where are your closest "safe zones".

These are things that well dressed women are aware of all the time. They have also learned to maintain their "war face", a poker face expression, devoid of emotion, not making direct contact, sweeping the eyes side to side while the head remains forward.

Alpha males learn almost exactly the opposite. Even the mildest threat is openly confronted. As you approach another man, you look him in the eye, waiting until AFTER he has nodded to you to nod back, usually with a polite smile. ANY form of disrespect is to receive an immediate response, a demand for an apology from the offender. The clothes worn provide protection and conceal the shape and positioning of the body. Shoes are low, wide, and allow the wearer to maintain balance under even extreme situations. The denim pants are thick enough to protect against knife strikes, and the billowing shirt makes it difficult for the perpetrator to properly asses your weight, strength, muscular development, or agility. It could even be used to mislead an attacker, causing him to strike empty cloth rather than exposed flesh.

Male clothing was evolved over centuries of fighting, including duels, war, and interactions with ruffians and hooligans.

I'm always amused when a man says to me "Wow, you got a lotta balls to wear a dress like that". I correct him "Actually, balls are a liability, it takes a lot of COURAGE to wear a dress like this, whether the person wearing it is a man OR A WOMAN!
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I've always tried to be carefully when out as Sherry. I never figured I'd have to worry when out dressed as myself. Because my ugly old mug repels even bats and serpents!

So, I was quite surprised when a very large, young man followed me to the deserted end of a parking building in Vegas after midnite a year ago and propositioned me. I now look carefully when I'm out to see who's around and/or following me! It's hard to hear sneakers when your spike heels r clicking loudly on concrete floors.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

When out by myself as a girl in lonely places I think of myself as cake on the kitchen table with ravenous children about.
    "It is danger danger Will Robinson."
    Just be aware of how you appear to others.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanyselkoe View Post
    ... Has anyone ever had any experiences where you've had to "think like a girl" as far as safety and being out in public has been concerned?
    Yes, once I was snapping pics in a very popular tourist area. It was late at night and it seemed as if I was all alone. This guy--big guy appeared out of nowhere and started making chit chat that rapidly turned to very aggressive propositions of a sexual nature--things no sane guy would EVER say to a woman. He even mentioned that he'd done time in prison. Luckily a group of bar patrons walked by. I took that as my cue to exit---The guy still followed me to my car, asking why I was leaving and whether or not I was scared. Very creepy incident.
    Last edited by JaytoJillian; 09-11-2013 at 03:09 AM.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytojillian/

Absolutely feel more vulnerable.
    And look it too, so am acutely aware of the risks.
    Which we need to be, I think
    Learning to be me - the best me I can be

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    A few weeks ago, I was about to leave the Black Crown to get back to my car, when I noticed a bunch of guys walking up the street in front of the front gate. One was carrying a case of beer, so I guessed they'd just been to the liquor store down the street. Something about them made my feminine intuition buzz: danger, danger! I paused inside the courtyard until they'd gone well past, then carefully made my way up the street, keys gripped in my hand, hoping they wouldn't stop or turn around. Thankfully, they didn't, and turned right at Arkansas where I had to cross the street to the left to get to where I'd parked.

Now, they might not have been the sort that would take advantage of, or take umbrage at, a T-girl innocently walking back to her car. But I wasn't about to take chances. And I felt relieved when I had made it into the car and punched the door locks shut!

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Hi,

There are a few places i would not go any way, now i can't say would i as a male, cant say that, there have been a few i was very uneasy about, being female is as i see it quite different from those of you who are male,

we have to think differently i know there are some who would try to take me on & being well known make matters different again , we here in Waimate are well placed because of being only less than 3500 people , though i think there is a few who would not take much to cause one harm drugs or drink ,

Say in the bigger cites yes very different so i plan where i go though knowing those places very well helps & where the hot spots are, its not quite the same to day as it was many years ago , so as a woman i do have concerns ,

...noeleena...