Thread: Oppsie... (6 degrees of separation?)

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar

Oppsie... (6 degrees of separation?)

Not long ago I joined a site to make new friends. I've written to a few people, a little back and forth, not especially much yet, but it is interesting to see all the various kinds of people, and the question section is giving me a bunch of food for thought.

One of the women I clicked on randomly had done work similar some I had done in the past and has personal goals quite similar to mine. I wrote her a note of appreciation for what she has done. After all, people like to be appreciated for their hard work; and perhaps we might end up conversing.

At the end of the note, I mentioned that I am trans -- which I did to avoid the possibility of her feeling that I had "led her on". One of the transwomen I had communicated with on the site had mentioned that nearly everyone dropped her from communication when they found out she was trans, and I didn't want to go through that scenario. (Hey, I'm new there and still trying to figure out how to talk to strangers.)

We exchanged a few messages, such as her asking me to critique her profile (which I did.) She wondered how I had happened upon her specifically; I explained how I clicked on one of the near-random-selection buttons and been interested by what I saw.

Today she sent me a note saying that she had been wondering what attracted my attention, as she had herself transitioned a number of years ago and was concerned that her past was coming back to haunt her (nb. not the phrase she used.)

Opps! I did not know, I was just writing to someone interesting!

So tell her exactly that, and, if she has trouble accepting the fact you couldn't care less who she was in the past, that a friendship will be hard to establish in the future.

I wrote her an explanation before I posted this thread. She hasn't replied as yet, but I know she had plans for the evening anyhow.

Part of the reason I mentioned this is as a counterpart to the advice about "approaching other crossdressers or transsexuals" (i.e., don't out them, don't hint they didn't pass.) I had, just a day before, refrained from contacting a transwoman I detected (to advise what information to change ); but I did not want to seem creepy or threatening. But in today's situation I inadvertently triggered the woman I contacted to out herself, her thinking she had been detected.
    Last edited by sandra-leigh; 09-11-2013 at 02:29 AM.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Honesty and good intentions are all we have. It is so difficult to know who is in what situation with their life, and whether we are intruders at times.

Met a girl at my first Trans support group meeting. I was in drab, and maybe she thought me a bit creepy (well, I do at times...). Few days later, I saw her picture up on the LGBT support center's website, next to mine. (Yep, I am still there, and have never been rotated out as a FB friend of the center). I clicked on her pic, and sent her a message saying hi, and what not, and would she mind another friend on FB. Have not heard back, so don't know if I was put in the wierdo category, or she just has a real life and is just busy. Time will tell.

Good intentions, not stalking her, but I guess we never know how contacts will go. Just be honest, Sandra, that is all we have.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Sounds like she has her guard up a tad too high and is so self conscious and or insecure about herself so reads things into her situations unnecessarily. Sounds like she has some issues to deal with.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Ella View Post

Met a girl at my first Trans support group meeting. I was in drab ...
    I've gone to my last support meeting in drab. Even though I haven't been the only such, it makes me feel self-conscious. The last meeting didn't go well for me and I had a bad emotional reaction. No more.
    Lea

It is looking like it isn't going to be a problem; she gave me a little transition advice this morning.

To clarify, she has not sounded "upset" about me communicating with her, more wondering what gave her away such that I wrote to her.

Sorry if I somehow gave the impression that I was "in trouble" because of this; rather I was startled and embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by jillleanne View Post
    Sounds like she has her guard up a tad too high and is so self conscious and or insecure about herself so reads things into her situations unnecessarily. Sounds like she has some issues to deal with.
    LOL I would like to meet a transsexual who doesn't have issues to deal with. So far I have not met one. I know quite a few pre and post..
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?