Thread: what to get first outfit ?

what to get first outfit ?

I am going to a goodwill tommorow what should my first outfit be ?

I am a 36 inch waist

Xl shirt with a 17.5 chest in button ups.

Also I have 10.5 men's feet wide. What kinda shoes.

I was rely thinking things like skirts or dresses. But also many a sweater or throw.
    Last edited by brittany1; 09-10-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: misspelled

Start with skirt and top.
    Jeans can be good as you have a mix and match set then.
    A dress can look like a sack on you until you have had more practice at dressing.
    Something that divides the body up is always a good start.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Rely I hadn't thought about it like that I asumned a dress would sorta be like a coverall ultra girly. Good thing I asked:-D

I love LBD's. (Little black dresses), but that's just me. Otherwise, a jean skirt with an flower print V-neck T (think western informal) could be cute on almost any body type. Can even work less dressy heels and hosiery into the deal...

Hugs,
    Staci

Is a basic T-shirt better then say a sweater or button up ?

It depends on the time of year (is it too hot for a sweater?) Your budget (Nicer things cost more than T-shirts) And most of all, your taste (what would you like to look in a mirror and see yourself wearing?) Also, do you plan on wearing anything under them? Do you have breast forms, padded bras? Do you plan on wearing none of the above and just wear a feminine shirt over what the lord gave ya? Please don't think I'm being a smart-alec. That isn't my intent. My intent is to help you decide what you want to be, and not what a forum tells you to buy. You've gotta be happy with you! You're really a blank canvas at this point. What do you want to be?

Don't sell yourself short. There are no wrong answers here, and if you just want to wear all mens clothes and just wear womens socks, that's fine too. There is no wrong way to do it. Just make yourself happy.

Best of luck finding yourself... It's been a heck of a trip for me!!

Hugs,
    Staci

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    Stick with sold colors, or something that isn't too over powering. If you don't shave your legs you might want to go with jeans/pants instead of a dress/skirt, unless your alright with hairy legs. Like Beverly said until you know your size a dress can look like a poncho or be too small. I would also suggest trying things on if you can, nothing worse then going through the trouble of shopping in public only to have things not fit. As for shoes I would start with a low heel or a flat, it takes a lot practice to walk in heels higher then 3".

I shave my legs, but if you really, really don't want to, I started out wearing two pairs of nylons (one over the other) it muted the color of the hair so much that you really couldn't tell it was there. But once you shave, you've lost the battle. You'll never go back to natural leg-warmers again.

Hugs,
    Staci
    Last edited by ME2.0; 09-10-2013 at 11:05 PM.

I'd be open to sharing but I sadly can't because I live with my parents and have to keep this a secret. So I'll probably do the double pantyhose / leggings for now.

Thanks for all the comments but it's getting late on my end and I'm sorta drifting any ways I think I'm going to go on to. Bed thanks girls for the help :-) .

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Try for a longer skirt and a top that matches.
    You want to hide your male body as much as you can.You can use a belt to set the outfit off just wear it above your waist to create a more femme body shape.

if you have really wide shoulders or a goofy arm tan situation like a lot of guys do, then a shirt with sleaves or a cardigan type cover up is a good way to not point out your manish features. Also, the shoes might be better off not getting 6 inch heels if you are tall to begin with. A lot of us girls really love heels, but if your thinking about going out dressed, try to recall the last time you saw a 6'5" girl that wasn't on a basketball court.
    "a little duct tape on the nipples is a small price to pay for beauty"

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I don't really understand the question. Are you fulfilling your fantasy or mine? My early fantasies included black lingerie and skin tight mini skirts. It's been a few years. My lingerie is still mostly black but a lot more classy, and my outer wear is so much more suitable for a classy old broad trying to look her best!

Silver Member
    Shopping for your first outfit will hopefully be a positive adventure! Great advice from all previous posts too, but please consider the basics for a good feminine wardrobe, - a black or denim skirt between knee & mid-calf length, white blouse (NEVER sleeveless), a long colorful scarf, black low heels or flat shoes, tan pantyhose, and of course femme jeans. By adding colorful tops that are long & short sleeve, a shoulder purse, a cardigan sweater or short jacket, some jewelry and makeup, you will have IMO some great items to mix & match for your wardrobe. Be aware that not all clothing sizes are the same - gals & guys - what may fit you in a large from one style maybe too small in another. Best to try on as many items before you buy! If you need more help, please come back again.

Quote Originally Posted by ME2.0 View Post
    I shave my legs, but if you really, really don't want to, I started out wearing two pairs of nylons (one over the other) it muted the color of the hair so much that you really couldn't tell it was there.
    This works best if you use opaque beige pantyhose for the first layer, and then a slightly darker and more sheer pair over that. The opaque does a much better job of hiding the hair than just a couple of sheer pairs would, and then the sheer pantyhose on top of that adds some shading and variation in color.

If you're shopping at Goodwill or any thrift store, youe choices will be severely limited by what they happen to have that will fit you. I think you will do a lot better shopping at the chain department stores like Pennys or Kohls. Check the clearance or bargain racks. Burlington Coat Factory is another good store.

For shoes, Payless is your best bet. For a men's 10 1/2 wide, try a women's 12 Wide and adjust from there.

Any of these stores will accept returns if you get something home and find it doesn't fit. Shoes, you should try on in the store.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Gurls will be Girls petrahughes's Avatar
    Long sleeve top/blouse with lacy bits, a knee length skirt, I love the pleated skirts, and not too high heels, they take a while to get used to. Please post an update when you get back :@)

Panties are better bought at WalMart in packs of 4. IMO

Brittany. Sometimes the size difference in the male upper and lower body make dress shopping difficult. I wear L or 12-14 in a blouse but only a 10 in pants and skirts. Therefore, my preferred approach is separates which better accommodate this body proportion. The shoes may be a problem but there are always some 11.5 - 12 women's shoes, just not a lot. Might consider the M or W also to accommodate our more generous tootsies.

However, given the right cut and fabric, a dress can work quite well. Just a more difficult buying exercise, at least for me. I just bought a sleeveless LBD in a lovely stretchy fabric that fits my curves nicely, but it was a long search. Also, its best if you can try before you buy, but I understand this is not always possible. At least you will not spend a fortune at GW so mistakes are not too very costly.

You must show us what you eventually buy

Hugs, Robin

Hugs,Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Marie View Post
    Are you fulfilling your fantasy or mine?
    I agree. I started with those things that compelled me the strongest. You may not (...probably aren't...) into the things I like. I can see something a woman is wearing, or in a catalog or magazine or on TV or in a store and think: I want that. What compels you?

Get whatever you want. It's your body, your fashion sense and in a way your fantasy. Not mine. You are an individual but try and buy cheap or from amazon, Primark, eBay or charity shops etc. Just remember some charity or thrift stores clothing may not be the size advertised.

I myself am saving up for a gothic corset and skirt combo, along with lolita socks and stompy unisex boots, along with some military grade fingerless gloves
    Be whoever you want to be. Screw what others think. It's their loss....

I tried and failed I got to the goodwill and spent 30 minuets staring at the store to scared to move then when I walked in the store I immediately walked to the men's section and avoided the women's like the plauge. I feel awful .

Thank you all for your advice I truly appreciate it all I'm gonna try again tomorrow.

Also for a sorta idea about my style preference think of Marshels mom from how I meet your mother :-) .

Gurls will be Girls petrahughes's Avatar
    Here's what u do

Enter and pick up a shopping basket. Walk near to the Womens section, kids or some nearby section is good and try to view from afar. Work out where the right size is for you, then spy a dress or skirt. When all is clear, move in, place the item in your basket and retreat.....then have a closer look in the men's area.

grab a cheap men's item, i always get a tee shirt and go pay. Now when waiting to pay, keep looking outside as if you looking for your SO. No one will think the skirt is for you, its for your SO who popped out for a smoke.

I bought a nice pair of clip on earrings and a white corset with suspender clips and lace up back and lovely lace top and bottom, oh and a tee shirt just today. :@)

Good luck

That is a fantastic idea :-D I just got so freaked out cause if any one found out if probably be homeless so I got to be super careful.

In defiantly going to try your idea though grade A + :-D

You picked the right store, I love the thrift stores. I like the fact that you can try many things and not loose your wallet if it doesn't turn out like you planned. I have spent hundreds trying on clothes and finding things that work for me, it could have been thousands in department stores. I feel I am also doing something good for the community when I re-donate back to them. When I finally learned what type of clothes look right, I am able to go to the department stores and purchase new clothes and other gurly things to add to my collection. Don't get upset if it doesn't look right the first few times, turn it into excitement by learning the "look" that's right for you. If you go to pick out shoes I made many mistakes by buying the ones that looked great but felt horrible. I have taken more care in finding the happy middle for looks and comfort. The HOT shoes won't look so good at the back of the closet when they hurt too bad to wear them for more than a couple of minutes.

Aspiring Member
    Its really easier than you think once you do it. But the first few times can be very hard to do. Most clerks 5 minutes after a sale probably could not remember what you bought...most are in their own little world or just do not care. As others, I would recommend separate bottoms and tops, such as a knee length or ankle length denim skirt, a dark top with long sleeves, and whatever a woman would wear underneath. When it cools down I think it will be a bit easier to "bundle up"...but you did not say if you are going out or staying inside.

I shop at Goodwill alot. I bought many brand new items with tag still on. You need not be in a hurry...
    Last edited by JamieQ; 09-11-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Additional info

Maybe this will help. I have a 36'' waist and 175 lbs. Take a XL or 2x blouse. 16 pants or capris or skirt. 42b bra filled with knee highs filled with bird seed to start. Try open toe shoes 1 size larger than mans in wides. Shop on a day when you feel good and strong. Have fun and Good Luck! You will do it. Ruby