Thread: SoCal school nights

SoCal school nights

I know that this kind of thread pops up quite a bit, but I've read through all of the relatively recent ones and am still thirsty for more info. I hope you'll bear with me (and that you'll respond if you can!)

I'm hoping to spend a few weekdays/nights in Southern California some time in October, and am looking for recommendations on good shopping, makeovers, and activities that would appeal to a small town gal like myself.

Now, I know that most of you SoCal girls are thinking, heck, just go to any MAC store, and to the consignment shops, and to any department store, and live it up! I may wind up doing one or more of those things, but I'm not nearly as refined and comfortable as most of you are, and I'd really like as T-friendly an experience as possible. In past visits, I've stopped by Countessa's store, but it looks like all of the Studio City/Burbank shops/services catering to CDs have now closed down. Have any similar shops opened up? (As some of you have noted in other threads, there's not a huge market for these stores because it's so easy to shop for clothing in mainstream stores -- but specialty stores still have a certain appeal and convenience, I think).

And as great as the MAC store experience is, I'd really like to find a salon that specializes in transformations -- both from a comfort/convenience standpoint, and because there is a greater chance that the MUA would have expertise in dealing with my many, many challenges (I know that many MAC artists have lots of experience with TGs, but that's not always the case).

As for other activities, I know that Hamburger Mary's has T-Girl Tuesdays, but are there any similar (or less loud ) events on non-weekend nights?

Thanks in advance for any input you care to share!

There are many TG friendly places in Palm Springs including Ulta and MAC.
    Great clubs and bars as well.

Good Luck,

Shelly

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I don't anything about LA except Mary's in Long Beach. If u want to go on a quiet tgirl nite, pick most any Tuesday. There will be maybe 100 people there?

Tgirl Sat. is the first Sat. nite of every month. With 300+ people there? Most will be girls and many will blow your mind with their looks and outfits! U can easily blend there, but club wear is recommended!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Countessa's Closet is in the middle of moving. I'm not sure when they're going to re-open, but there are plans to re-open.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies!

Shelly: I've never been to Palm Springs, but have heard that it's fairly LGBT-friendly. Are the Ulta and MAC stores there much better than the ones that are less inland? Anything special to do out there after getting made up, besides mainstream shopping, and possibly clubbing?

DocRobbySherry: I've seen the pics on the Mary-related threads that have been posted here, and you're right, the girls that attend those events blow my mind -- then again, I can't believe how great the girls of this forum are able to look, even in more everyday clothes! Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately for my ego), I won't be able to make it to this October's TGirl Saturday, but I might be able to make it to one of the Tuesday events. Have to dig up some club clothes -- or better yet, go out and buy some!

Michelle: Thanks for the update on Countessa. Seems like she's been closed for a while now, but she's always done things on her own schedule, so I suppose it's still possible that she'll re-open at some point!

Thanks again, and please feel free to share any other tips and ideas with me!