Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming too mainstream?

Banned Read only

Becoming too mainstream?

Do you think Crossdressing is or may be coming too mainstream?

I do.

Does being too mainstream ever detract from the attraction of dressing?

I don't get the sense that it's becoming mainstream although it probably is tolerated more than it used to be simply because the social climate is generally more tolerant than it was twenty or thirty years ago.

Banned Read only
    Mainstream?! Are you joking? Cross dressing is absolutely still a taboo and as far from mainstream as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Mainstream?! Are you joking? Cross dressing is absolutely still a taboo and as far from mainstream as you can get.
    No Jenifer, its even more than that!

East of Seattle somewhere between the pass and Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post

I agree, even in the more "accepting" parts of the country we are way out on the fringe.

Banned Read only
    Sorry, I did not make myself clear.....My fault.

By mainstream, I mean a lot of people/many more crossdressing, even if it is not accepted.

Hey if you just want to freak people out and be special I would recommend dressing as a mouse and frequenting cheese shops.

If there are more people crossdressing it's because there's more access to information on the subject and it is more visible at least in media terms.

But the desire to crossdress is hardly new and is documented going back many years even though most of us at some time or other have felt completely alone.

I think it's more likely that more people admit to it than ever.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by heathr1 View Post
    ...By mainstream, I mean a lot of people/many more crossdressing, even if it is not accepted.
    OK, how did you count them?

No, "more" are not cross dressing. This site allows the very small percentage that do, an outlet. We are shadow people at best

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I do agree that the existence of the transgender community is becoming known more generally. I certainly have witnessed this trend around me in everyday life, including coworkers moving to fulltime in their M to F lifestyle. The increased presence of the transgender community could easily translate into more people venturing to explore and maybe accept what was hidden inside of them. I was "male" for 55 years before Tina appeared one day. I wonder how many more will experience this revelation as time goes on and information flow increases?

Silver Member
    There are a lot more gender diverse people out and about. CD's, TG, and TS's. There is more public awareness and understanding compared to 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Its not a bad thing. I think people should be comfortable dressing as they feel and going out without fear. Make it normal.

By saying "too mainstream" it makes it sound like a bad thing.
    Kings Of Leon are mainstream, but I liked them before they were big and still do now.
    Just as long as all these mainstream crossdressers don't sell out then I am happy

:P
    Tara, the fab me!

Banned Read only
    Do you think Crossdressing is or may be coming too mainstream?
    Well, it's about time.......giggles

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I don't think its more mainstream, but it does seem that clothing for men seem to be crossing over more toward the female styles and colors

Quote Originally Posted by arbon View Post
    There are a lot more gender diverse people out and about. CD's, TG, and TS's. There is more public awareness and understanding compared to 10, 20, 30 years ago.
    I agree with Arbon. I don't think it's as mainstream as you are making it out to be BUT there sure are a lot more tolerant people than there use to be. Maybe it's just me, or I have become a magnet for all things TG, but it seems there (and I am at a lost for exact words here) are more and more TG related things surrounding me these days than there has ever been in the past.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Heathr,
    I think you have been reading too much of the forum.
    It is slowly being accepted more in some areas, but others.....
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Kind of doubtful my friend. Even if it was we are all unique individuals with our own unique styles.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I do think there is more acceptance of gender fluid people but I would hardly call it mainstream. I live in a liberal city but I don't know that I have ever seen a cd out in public. Well maybe I have and she was so passable I didn't notice. But being a cd, I do look all the time when not dressed and I never see a cd out.

I think it may appear more mainstream because of the internet and it's just easier for us to find more of us. But in the real world we are a very small (but cute) minority. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

...maybe when it does become mainstream, its going to be after people get bored of tattoos, piercings, for example. It will be the in thing to do. Wait...actually that already happened a little in the 80's with rock stars and recently in the fashion industry. It is going to happen in waves until finally all the kids do it al the time. Maybe it will be a social movement to show all the parents how wrong they were about gender discrimination....

...over the decades, I have noticed there is a huge shift to acceptance in the general population. But, as we see for many other things it takes generations to evolve....unless if you are in certain parts of the world where nothing seems to improve.
    Chickie

Sorry, I did not make myself clear.....My fault.

By mainstream, I mean a lot of people/many more crossdressing, even if it is not accepted.
    The pink fog runs deep with this one. I suggest a lot of time on hot, sandy beaches, watching the babes who REALLY look good in bikinis.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Crossdressers make up only a small percentage of the population.

Just because this forum has lots of posts and threads, does not make it mainstream.

Just think about the number of members on this forum (over 27,000), compared to the number of muggles that use facebook (well over 1 billion).
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma England View Post

Just think about the number of members on this forum (over 27,000), compared to the number of muggles that use facebook (well over 1 billion).
    Yeah but we are far more exclusive than Faceplate
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    Lorileah,

Yes, we are far more exclusive.

Nope, not mainstream, but probably much closer to acceptance than 10-20 years ago. Mainstream in 10-20 years from now? Maybe, but definitely even more accepted.