Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Becoming too mainstream?

Aspiring Member
    I can remember 20 years ago feeling I had to buy the Tranny guide to identify shops in London that would allow me to try stuff on. Now I go to places like the supposedly traditional York and the N of Scotland and seldom encounter anyone who is not completely accepting and helpful. It is VERY rare to be refused to try things on when dressed as a man and no problems of any kind dressed as a woman. I remember asking Long Tall Sally in Aberdeen (now sadly closed) if they get many men buying for themselves and they said it happened so often they regarded it as normal. OK, I still don't fell I can go to work in a skirt or dress - not because it would not be allowed - it certainly would - but because of possible impact on my professional credibility. I might be inventing this last bit and failing to give those I work with insufficient credit but I would rather not take the chance.

So not mainstream, but very accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    OK, how did you count them?

No, "more" are not cross dressing. This site allows the very small percentage that do, an outlet. We are shadow people at best
    So true, "shadow people" is a good way to define how mainstream we are. It is also true that the internet has enabled us to chat with fellow crossdressers from all over the world. Think about how many fellow crossdressers we would ever meet otherwise?

Platinum Member
    It wouldn't matter to me. If the entire US congress was filled with cross dressers, that would be their business, individually. I don't dress for a rush or to attract attention. I dress to express who I am as a person.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I don't think we are "mainstream" but I do think that perhaps the term "transgender" is getting a little more known out there. Things like News, TV and media articles about princess boys and TS children going to school as the gender they identify as etc do seem more prevalent than they used to be. You asked does it ever detract from the attraction of dressing? No way, not for me it doesn't.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Aspiring Member
    The great thing about this Forum is that we know there are many others out there. But mtf CDing is no where near mainstream imo. There is hope that sometime in my lifetime it may be accepted as younger people seem to be far more accepting of alternative lifestyles than many in the older generations. Imagine how the discussion of same sex marriage would have gone 20 years ago. We have come a long way!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca W. View Post
    So true, "shadow people" is a good way to define how mainstream we are. It is also true that the internet has enabled us to chat with fellow crossdressers from all over the world. Think about how many fellow crossdressers we would ever meet otherwise?
    For me, that would be zero. I have never met a cd offline.
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by heathr1
    Becoming too mainstream? Do you think Crossdressing is or may be coming too mainstream? I do.
    Not in this neck of the woods, it isn’t. I’m the ONLY crossdresser around for miles; in fact they should put this sign on the Interstate (to attract tourists): CROSSDRESSER – NEXT EXIT! I may very well be one of the local “points of interest,” you know…

mainstream no, acceptence yes. I suspect that many more women's shops have seen a increase in us buying clothes from them and I think they're the best people to judge that.

Gold Member
    More shows have had TS on them. Unlike the old days of talk shows when some of them looked bad or acted like asses though, today they are usually displayed in a positive light. Yeah sure there is the occasional bank robber who was dressed as a woman but normally it is like Miss Canada, Kim Petra, Chaz Bono or whatever.

Everyday people still don't really know the difference between TG, TS, CD, DQ etc so to most people we are all the same. Luckily, a lot of the sheeple out there don't have as much problem with it.
    I think overall things have shifted for the better. I don't think it will be 100% normal anytime soon. Eventually perhaps.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

What if..... one day everyone suddenly did not care at all. Let's say that the percentage of cd's was the same, but nobody, not friends, family, so's, nobody cared whatsoever how we dressed or act.... Now I am sure that is fantasy for many, or so they think. And I am sure there are many who would find life much easier to live if that was the case. But, with every barrier suddenly taken down, I would be willing to bet that there are many cd's who would suddenly not like it. I even wonder at some point if I would even be 100% happier if this happened. And I am among those who dress for comfort and relaxation. I don't fully transform, or go out in public. I know that I would be happier if this happened (full acceptance) but I can't say that there isn't part of me that would sometimes miss the feeling of being so different and doing something so many find uncomfortable at the least. Gone would be looking forward to dressing. Gone would be that feeling when the clothes 1st get put on. I do think I would miss that.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Quote Originally Posted by gendermutt View Post
    What if..... one day everyone suddenly did not care at all. Let's say that the percentage of cd's was the same, but nobody, not friends, family, so's, nobody cared whatsoever how we dressed or act.... Now I am sure that is fantasy for many, or so they think. And I am sure there are many who would find life much easier to live if that was the case. But, with every barrier suddenly taken down, I would be willing to bet that there are many cd's who would suddenly not like it. I even wonder at some point if I would even be 100% happier if this happened. And I am among those who dress for comfort and relaxation. I don't fully transform, or go out in public. I know that I would be happier if this happened (full acceptance) but I can't say that there isn't part of me that would sometimes miss the feeling of being so different and doing something so many find uncomfortable at the least. Gone would be looking forward to dressing. Gone would be that feeling when the clothes 1st get put on. I do think I would miss that.
    There will always be a "thrill" in being different. If it was totally accepted, what would be the thrill of crossdressing. It still would be nice to wear, what you desired and not have to worry about what the acceptance level would be. People can be harsh or just plain threatening towards our clothing choices. It sure would reduce my stress level on crossdressing. Maybe someday it will happen?

the mainstream is a big river

in the news-transgender named class queen; younger one allowed too use girls room; and those voilent stories bout murders etc. Much more recognize in films. tv , books too----and the internet has blossomed with shops and sites since maybe 15 years :
    i dont worry about mainstream or not, but am happy that the mainstream is more aware of it.]]

jodie

Aspiring Member
    No. Naw, uh uh, no naa naa, not more mainstream. At least from where I sit.

not quite silver yet Emma Leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mariehart View Post
    But the desire to crossdress is hardly new and is documented going back many years even though most of us at some time or other have felt completely alone.
    Its said factions of the Ancient Greeks crossdressed...seeing what they wore back then ...how could you tell????

Heathr1,
    Since many/everybody that have responded so far seem to disagree with you (about it being too mainstream) why don't you explain more about what you've observed to suggest it being "mainstream"? It has not gotten to any level of acceptance that makes me happy as of yet. However I will say that from where I live at least, I am seeing crossdressers around more than ever before. Maybe not head-to-toe so much but at least partially... Such as men wearing tights with shorts, say... I've seen perhaps 3 within the last week. Still I don't feel that this is significant enough. Still I don't feel free myself.

No, not at all.

Gender is not an absolute binary. We all express our genders in different ways. We, meaning myself, and those who are on this forum, are just merely brave enough and honest with ourselves to be able to express ourselves as we feel.

Society has now become hammered with the term "LGBT", and many of us fit the T part. I certainly identify as T, even though I haven't transitioned to female. All I can say is that being out & about in public, presenting as female, people have treated me great. That being said, there really is no more frontier for me. Unless I decide to transition, I am really at the end of my road as far as my gender presentation in public. I'm female as often as I want to be, and often as I am able. That's a very awesome place for me.

As far as mainstream? Who cares.
    I live as I feel. The Canadian rock band Rush did a song called Free Will. I choose free will.

No I don't. When I see a newscaster on the six o'clock news and he(she) is presenting the news, not the subject of the news, crossdressing will be mainstream. When I am pulled over by a crossdressed police officer, crossdressing will be mainstream. When the preacher in the local (insert whatever denomination here) church is crossdressed, crossdressing will be mainstream. When my elected representative show up for congress crossdressed, crossdressing will be mainstream.

It is not now and is unlikely to ever become "mainstream".
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    No, not at all.

Gender is not an absolute binary. We all express our genders in different ways. We, meaning myself, and those who are on this forum, are just merely brave enough and honest with ourselves to be able to express ourselves as we feel.

Society has now become hammered with the term "LGBT", and many of us fit the T part. I certainly identify as T, even though I haven't transitioned to female. All I can say is that being out & about in public, presenting as female, people have treated me great. That being said, there really is no more frontier for me. Unless I decide to transition, I am really at the end of my road as far as my gender presentation in public. I'm female as often as I want to be, and often as I am able. That's a very awesome place for me.

As far as mainstream? Who cares.
    I live as I feel. The Canadian rock band Rush did a song called Free Will. I choose free will.

Great Post! I am in the same place. Love the Rush quote!
    Suzanne

I don't see any evidence that CDing has become mainstream. When have you ever gone anywhere and seen a cross dresser in public, other than at a planned cross-dressing event? Have you ever seen a cross dresser in a grocery store? Walking around in the mall? Many of us have done both, but how many have chanced on a stranger CDing?
    What would "mainstream" look like? If 5% of men cross dress frequently, & 20% were mainstreaming, then everywhere you go 1 in a 100 men would be wearing a skirt or dress. Not happening.

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

Not mainstream, but certainly more accepted. Most of the older CDs at my support group say things are much easier now than they were 30 years ago.

At least we don't need to be afraid of being arrested if we're out and about CDing. At least that fear is gone. (Of course that is if you didn't commit a crime.

man if crossdressing becomes all mainstream all the hipster crossdressers will be totally pissed!