Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are we scared when buying female clothing?

Scared....nope.
    “All men are liars, said Roberta Muldoon, who knew this was true because she had once been a man.”
    ― John Irving, The World According to Garp

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Never really bothered me I bought clothes for my 1st wife all the time because she had no style at all seriously.

Macy's

I was in Macy's Madison WI store a couple weeks ago with a friend who was trying to find a dress for her son's wedding. I went for moral support, I was in drab, she is my only friend who knows I dress....that I know about...lol.
    In this Macy's store the whole 2nd floor is nothing but women's clothes.
    There was a big sale going on, lots of women there, only a few men. Of course I had to check out dresses and outfits in my size too. After about the 50th dress or so my friend tried on, I had my eye on a couple that I wanted to try on. A few years ago I wouldn't have even thought about it, when I first started I would have made up a story about buying them for my wife and taking them home to try on. Anyway, I approached a younger SA, and asked her what was the store policy if I wanted to try on a couple dresses in the women's dressing rooms. She said she didn't know for sure what the store policy was but she said some women complain even if male employees come in to collect hangers. She recommended that I take my selections to the men's department on the first floor and try them on there. Needless to say I didn't, I was a little surprised, they have dressing rooms all over the place and some are very secluded. Of course, they were busy. but....they potentially lost a sale.
    The point I'm trying to make, poorly, is that a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have asked, now, I'm much braver, I was a little nervous but it was controllable. So, if you shop a lot, the more you do, the easier it gets. I have never ordered anything on-line, I like shopping in person, even though sometimes it is still embarassing. Like Bra shopping....lol...
    btw, my friend never did find a dress she liked. in her defense, she is between a petite and misses. She eventually found the dress she wore in her closet. But we had a lot fun, should see us when we shoe shop....

I can't answer your question, because I do not get scared buying different shapes of material.
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

I am more nervous in the womens section looking for just the right thing.
    The women around here think that is there private territory and no one else is
    allowed, I constantly get glared at by the women that are shopping.

Never once had an issue at the cash register, Just a couple of weeks ago I
    bought a nice dress and a top, along with some other groceries, Water, snacks for lunches, ect.
    the cashier and I got to talking about kids and she never even batted an eye at the dress.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Aspiring Member
    Hit or miss for me. Sometimes totally relaxed about then others get jittery. Who knows why? Years of programming, socialization, etc.

Mostly in the mind though. How do I know? It absolutely has never happened when I really am buying something for my wife.

I love clothes shopping! I never get nervous. It's such a joy!
    I'm always a woman!

I was nervous back when I first started a few years ago especially because I bought stuff that were out of the ordinary like leather and its obvious that I would try it on later. Then I got a rush everytime I bought something like one I remembered buying my first lingerie. Recently I bought leather leggings and other things for my gf and I wasn't nervous because I knew it was for her. Now I don't even care or feel scared when I walk into a girl's department store or buy girl's clothes.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

Banned Read only
    Good question. I remember when I was about 18, mom asking if I'd do her a favour and collect a skirt for her from a store. I was too shy to do it.

Now, I still get nervous when buying things for myself, but have no issues whatsoever about buying make-up and clothes for mom and my sister-in-law.

It doesn't really bother me to go shopping. Most of clothes my wife hes were bought by me.now I to get a little nervous about trying on shoes outside of a dressing room but that's about it.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

I think it largely depends on the location where you're buying it and which country you live in.

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    Its funny because I was wondering the same thing the other day while in JCPenny. I stopped by to look at some things for me and I was really nervous about it. Yet when I shop for things for my wife for some occasion and I'm looking at the same things it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe its partly due to that rush I get at shopping for me.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

I had always fantasized about going to a department store and trying on dresses, but never had the nerve to do it. My SO, early in our relationship, took me shopping one day and picked out a few dresses. I was scared to death and was behaving like a macho guy that didn't want to be there. But I realized that wasn't working and I had to participate and let my guard down. She convinced me to go to the dressing room with her and for the first time ever, I tried stuff on. It was a thrill and my heart was racing, but then I was relaxed. We've done this several times now and I've even gone a few times by myself and even tried stuff on by myself. It just keeps getting easier! The fear is still there, but it's definitely having less and less of an impact on keeping me from doing it!
    Hakuna Matata!

Personally, I seem to get more nervous when I am buying myself boy's clothes!
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

Sarah, I think you nailed it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by susan jackson
    What is it that makes someone who was born with a female body brave enough to venture out and buy something that is meant for a male, while someone who was born with a male body becomes a wreck when confronted with the concept of buying something that is meant for a female? Surely, those who were born male are the superior gender? Are we not the alpha male? Are we not the guiding force of the family? Or are we just a bunch of snivelling wimps?
    I can honestly say that I’ve never had a problem waltzing into a store and buying an article of female clothing. I think this is my version of the famous “pink fog,” a mysterious force field that suddenly appears and emboldens me to get those precious things I need and want. I attribute this to boyish enthusiasm, and not some latent masculine virtue of strength waiting to be released. It’s kinda pointless to get all MALE and then fondle some frilly unmentionables, n’est ce pas?

I have no fear when shopping for my wife, in fact I buy most of her clothes she admires my taste. When shopping for myself I do get a little excited even though I'm buying the same sizes and types of things. I guess because I know when I get home I can wear it. jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Here is a fairly speculative theory on why men may feel fear when shoping for women's clothing.

Humans are social animals, and among social animals living in groups of individuals, status and social rang in the group is one vital aspect that individuals strive for their whole life. This is so as it often determines reproductive success, wellbeing, etc. Hence, there exist an inherent evolutionary value not to lose one's social rang, and the defence mechanism developed against behaviour where one may lose status could well be fear.

Now, If you are human and male, entering a women's clothing store, buying woman clothing, then I would suggest that if you get caught and are exposed, you risk loseing your status and social rang in an instance.

So, we feel fear because this is a situation where one may lose you social status.

It seem that females in the animal kingdom often tend to raise on the social ladder if they assume male like charachteristics. So perhaps that is the reason women can buy mens clothing with more ease, because tehy have nothing to lose?

Just a thought. :-)

Bima

I never bought any girls clothing in person...all of mine have been acquired via the internet. I might buy in person in the near future just for the experience. Probably just a top or jeans though.
    I want to be a girl - that's all.

I used to have that problem in a major way. Someone on the internet said "Go in with the attitude that everybody knows you're shopping for yourself." It worked. I used to build up my courage by telling myself silly stuff: "Buy yourself some panties like a man." I'm usually wearing a skirt when shopping for clothes now, so I guess I'm over being scared.

Honestly, just go in and look around. I have been shopping for women's clothing a good couple of times. I have had moments were I just couldn't for some reason. Whether that was because I was too close to home, or something else... However, when I do go in and start looking, none of the women in the store say anything to me. I haven't had a problem at all. How do they know that I'm looking for something for me? Maybe I'm buying a gift!
    "Oh my God, I realized, it's not that we're screwed up; it's just that we've been trained to thnk so."
    ~Rick Novic, Alice in Genderland

I would love to find courage to shop openly. I am new to all this but have some pertty things purchased via internet. Perhaps a trip to the twin cities in the future.

Silver Member
    Just act confident. No one really cares if it is for you or if you will wear it. No one cares. If you ever get a question, say whatever you want. "It's for someone special." "It's a gift." Smile. Pay. Leave. You never need to explain.

After thinking about this for a bit I see the reason being that women's clothing especially lingerie is a forbidden fruit of sorts. We, us CD's, find the items to be "sexy" and erotic and therefore forbidden. Kind of like looking at those magazines in the back of the rack. The counter personk nowes you are not buying Playboy just for the literary excellence. LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Quote Originally Posted by Amy R Lynn View Post
    How do they know that I'm looking for something for me? Maybe I'm buying a gift!
    Because men don't shop for their wives in the same place every week! LOL

The truth (for some of us) is coming out in the last 12 posts. If I'm thinking about how excited I'll be when I get home to try on the bra I'm looking at, there's the fear that someone will see my excitement! I've learned to pretty much be detached from my emotions so this won't happen so much. The main question should be: Will it fit?
    Last edited by Ressie; 10-07-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder