Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet 16 and How I lost it!

Sweet 16 and How I lost it!

Before and After-2 by New_Paula_56, on Flickr

The woman was stunning, enjoying a classic feminine beauty that seemed effortless. She moved with an elegant charm in an ivory colored suit, her heels tapped musically as she exited the elevator leaving behind a rich floral scent. Most men would desire her, but I desired to be like her.

A few weeks later, I was in Lord & Taylor where I saw the most beautiful ivory suit on a mannequin. Paired with a pair of black pumps and purse it called out to me. I had to have it.
    I checked the rack looking for a size that fit me. The largest one I found was a Misses size 16, but I wore a Women’s size 24. I bought the size 16.

I don’t know why, but I had to have that dress. It didn’t fit; the skirt wouldn’t go past my knees. It hung in my closet for three years. Sometimes I would take it out and hold it up and daydream.

Time had passed and today was the day; the suit was ready back from the cleaners. It hung there in a clear plastic bag. I was ready too, pantyhose, bra, Spanx, hair and makeup. I took her from the hanger and opened the zipper on the skirt, stepped into it, pulled it over my hips, and reached behind and heard the wonderful sound of “zzzippp!” as the skirt fit perfectly around my waist.

As I slipped into the jacket, the satin lining felt cool against my skin. As I worked the buttons closed, the jacket hugged my hips seductively and proudly accented my bust. I sprayed a bit of perfume and then stepped into my shoes. When I turned toward the mirror, there she was: the women from the elevator. Although I was smiling, a tear ran down my cheek.

In 2009, I turned 50 years old and had reached the weight of 280 pounds. I hated how I looked. I was a year or two away from high blood pressure and diabetes. My dreams of expressing my feminine side were slipping away. I was burdened with guilt, shame and self loathing.

Through the years, I had worked so hard and sacrificed for so many things for so many people in my life. Now at 50, the one thing I wanted most, the one thing that had nagged at me since childhood was going to be left unanswered. I could not do it. I could not let it go. I needed to express that woman who I knew lived inside me. I may never transition, but I needed to experience the world as a woman in some way.

I had no plan. I was still lost, but then one day during lunch I went to a local mall. I decided that I was going to buy makeup --- a good quality foundation. I walked around the sleek and polished cosmetic counters in Lord & Taylor. I was feeling horribly out of place and self-conscious.

I walked up to the Lacome counter and stammered out a request for a foundation with heavy coverage. The sales associate told me that their foundations were very sheer, but asked me to wait a minute; she walked over to another kiosk and spoke briefly with another sales associate.

Meanwhile I was turning red with embarrassment; I was sure they were shocked and appalled by my request. I fought the urge to bolt and run as I had done in earlier attempts. But I was starting to get weary of making excuses and being afraid. I had enough and I wasn’t going to run anymore. I was going to stand up to that bully who lived inside of me.

From across the aisle came a smile and a petite wave. Soon I found myself standing in front of an attractive young woman who was the manager of the NARS counter. Kasey, I would later learn her name, was pretty enough to be a model. Her make-up, true to her profession, was artistically perfect. She quickly put me at ease and started to explain the different types of foundations available.

For the first time in my life I spoke the truth openly about who I was. I told her that I was transgender and was starting to use makeup and wanted to develop a conservative business look for going out in the world. I didn’t know what to expect in return. I imagined the worst: disdain, scorn, condescension, but instead, she responded with enthusiasm and it was contagious.

I listened intently to every word. Fifteen minutes later, I departed and walked proudly back to the car carrying my cute little NARS bag with my new foundation. Best of all, I felt good about my purchase; I didn’t feel guilty or shameful. For the first time in my life I felt acceptance.

About three weeks later I went back to the NARS counter. Still a bit apprehensive and uneasy about what my reception might be, I was relieved to be greeted by Kasey and a friendly smile. “Hey, how’s the foundation working for you?”

She then helped me pick out colors for my eyes and gave me advice on application. When she reached for her business card under the counter I noticed her lunch, a small container of soup, fruit and a bottle of water. As I walked away it dawned on me, if I wanted to look like a slender stylish woman I needed to eat like one.

I was a yo-yo dieter who always went back to a fat and bad carb-based diet. It was what I was used t, and it was destroying me physically, but also destroying any hope I had of stepping out into the world as a woman.

This was an epiphany. At that moment, I associated and connected my diet with being feminine and achieving my dream. I wanted to dress as a woman, socialize as a woman, and be accepted as a woman, that is, in all practical ways, I wanted to live as a woman. I finally realized that along with the clothes, cosmetics, manicures, perfume and hair, I also needed to include a diet!

Now anytime I reached for food I asked myself, “What would a healthy woman eat?” Every time I made a correct choice, it connected me a tiny bit to my feminine side. No longer was making a healthy choice an act of self-denial, but instead, it was self-actualization and a step toward femininity. That realization made all the difference in my battle against weight.

As my weight dropped, I built a wardrobe and began to evolve as a woman. I started seeing a gender therapist and began to talk about my feelings openly. The guilt started to fade away. I began to accept the fact that I was transgender. I wasn’t doing anything wrong and I didn’t have to be ashamed about dressing as a woman. The world opened up to me.

What worked for me was simplicity. I live a busy life. My family has all kinds of foods and busy schedules. I didn’t go out and buy all kinds of diet food. Rather, I started counting calories.

Male bodies (unfortunately that’s what I’m working with here) burn 2000 calories a day if you don’t exercise. So I began slowly changing my diet. For example, for breakfast, instead of a cheese omelet, toast, butter, and bacon, I would have just eggs, maybe some mushrooms, and a slice of toast without butter. Then for lunch, maybe some soup and fruit, or a sandwich and some fruit. We are not even up to 1000 calories yet. Dinner just a small piece of meat, lots of vegetables and maybe some bread.

The trick is to eat different foods and get into a rhythm that is acceptable on a full-time basis. Your hunger will diminish and you will begin to lose weight. On weekends, I don’t go crazy but do enjoy nice dinners, pizza and maybe some beer.

Find an exercise that you can do regularly. If going to the gym is going to cause problems with your busy schedule, then find a niche of free time. I walk. I used to be a runner and laughed at walkers, but research will tell you that the benefits of walking are close to running. Best of all, I can do it anywhere. On the weekends, I can hike in the woods and during the week, I can trek through the office park. A half hour or an hour starts to slice off those 2000 calories.

Most importantly and listen closely here, if you do not enjoy exercise, you won’t keep it up. My walks are an escape. I enjoy them and feel as if something is missing if I don’t get that daily walk in.

The whole process is not rocket science. Eat healthier food, keep it under 2000 calories a day and exercise. The experts emphasize that diets do not work, but that eating healthy does work. I found a reason to eat healthy --- something that gave me more satisfaction than feasting: femininity.

congrats to you paula. you look wonderful in the ivory suit, a "very classy" look.
    i commend you on your drive and determination, and the results are a beautiful looking woman!
    something for sure i need to work on...
    paula

Paula, you look amazing in that suit. Younger, healthy and trim. It was definitely worth a little effort.

Wow Paula!

Congratulations!!!

What a wonderful, inspirational post! Thank you!

I lost a lot of weight about four years ago and loved the way I looked. But I think my boy side retaliated and his weapon of choice is food so I've gained some back. Now I'm fighting to get it back down. Your post is going on my mirror!

So stay the course, you look awesome!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Paula,
    I do like the new you, and yes you do have to set goals.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

That is so awesome! The sweet spot is size 14 and 38" bras. Those are the sizes where everything is available in all the stores. No more trying to find your size.

I am so proud of what you have accomplished You are an inspiration to those that want to lose weight !

Hugs

Linda Leigh
    Sometimes I like to dress as Linda Leigh

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Platinum Member
    Hi Paula, You are absolutely gorgeous looking.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    Thank you. You are an inspiration.

congrats Paula
    That was wonderful and inspiring and you look lovely in that suit

Great story!! IMO I think you look pretty good in the before pic as well, but amazing in the suit =)

You look great in that suit, really great.

You are correct about diets; they only work in the short term. Your method of losing weight is the only way to keep the weight off.

In 2006, at 5'10", I weighed 212 and said 'no mas!' Since I can't exercise for health reasons, I simply started to put one half of what I previously ate on my plate. In less than 2.5 years I got down to 178. This morning I was at 184.

I wish I could wear your suit in a Size 16, but my shoulders mean a Size 18. I can wear a sheath in a Size 16 but nothing in that size covering my arms.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Paula....you look great in that suit. I'm sure that it was a goal, but you are one of the few that actually achieved that goal. Many would have tried for a little bit and just given up, but you stuck with it. Way to go!

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Congrats -- you look terrific! You're absolutely going about it the right way, which will be most effective for the long haul. I've had success doing much the same thing -- I've lost about 70 pounds, though have plateaued a bit and will probably need to change up my workouts to be more effective.

Good job, Paula! You look great in the new suit.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Paula,

You look great . . . well done on achieving your "ivory suit goal".

Hugs

Isha

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Congratulations, Paula! And, your reward is in your mirror EVERY DAY! What a great lesson for those among us that wish to have an attractive figure like yours. But, just can't get it done. And now, showing off in the bane of a large person. A lite color suit!

Diets don't work. To trim down u must learn how to eat less and eat and drink better. Lose weight gradually and it could be come a way of life. Liking the way u look and feel can make it all worthwhile!

Excersize doesn't work. Unless it's a sport u enjoy anyway. And, for folks like me that only increases our appetite.

Change your diet. Change your life. But, be prepared to go shopping to buy a whole new sexier wardrobe!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Well done Paula, you look absolutely wonderful. You should be proud of this accomplishment. Good on ya , hun!
    I sometimes think I'm such a fairy

Amazing story Paula, so great to hear of a diet success without any fads. Just hard work and determination, it usually pays off.

You look stunning in the ivory suit.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

Paula, you are a joy and an inspiration to all of us! As Persephone said, your story is going up on my mirror at once! Would you mind disclosing what your total weight loss accomplishment was? And you do indeed look magnificent in that cute suit! Hugs - Diane

Quote Originally Posted by DianeDeBris View Post
    Paula, you are a joy and an inspiration to all of us! As Persephone said, your story is going up on my mirror at once! Would you mind disclosing what your total weight loss accomplishment was? And you do indeed look magnificent in that cute suit! Hugs - Diane
    Diane-- I lost a total of 80lbs thanks for the positive message everyone. I spent a lot of time writing this and it nice to get feed back -Paula

Congratulations Paula, You did an awesome job loosing the weight, You look fantastic,
    I bet you feel better as well. Loosing weight is a hard thing to do.

You are a true inspiration.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

I so enjoy reading your posts, Paula.

Your story will be my inspiration to renew my weight loss efforts. I had lost about 30 pounds of my 60 pounds target, but, regained 10 of them when recent health issues (arthritis) made most forms of exercise (even walking) painful. However, I think adjusting my eating habits can keep that in check and, possibly, get the weight to start coming off, again.

Thank you for sharing this with us.
    Susan

"Not sure who I am, yet. But, I'll let you know..."

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Hi Paula. I normally avoid long posts, but I'm glad I read yours. A great story, well written, with a delightful outcome. Stories don't get any better than this. Thank you.

Paula, congrats you look great, but more importantly, I think you are on the road to good health and from what I gather, you are happy. The key for remaining fit as I approach the next decade has been CDing. Vanity is a wonderful motivator, but it is also important to stick with an exercise program long enough to make your body feel as if something is missing when you stray from that program. A better diet is connected to exercise--like you, I save the dietary vices for the weekends, and I don't go crazy. I really think the trinity of vanity, exercise and eating habits is a formula for success
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytojillian/