Thread: Social media in the closet

Social media in the closet

I was just wondering how many crossdressers that are in the closet are involved with a secret social media profile? I was playing around with Instagram but got scared after I posted a couple pix.

As a rule of thumb, if you're worried about your privacy (e.g. your 'secret identity' becoming unsecret), you shouldn't touch anything related to Facebook (including Instagram) with a ten fool pole.

It's very possible to accidentally out yourself. People do get 'friend' suggestions based on location/IP range, you may accidentally geo-tag yourself, etc. etc. I'm not yet overly worried about their face recognition features, but it is something to think about. If you're not overly comfortable with going out on the streets in broad daylight while 'dressed', you probably also shouldn't use Facebook while dressed.

Anyway, be very careful if you have a normal profile as well. Try not to link them in any way.

I stay well away from social media.
    Too intrusive and too many traps.
    This is as social as I get.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

If you even mention transgenderism/ cross dressing/ your thing here____________, in social media, in any form, under any pseudonym, you are no longer in the closet.
    Social media's ONLY job is to gather information about YOU. Did you think they invented Facebook/twitter/pinterest because they were really nice guys?

I do not have any secret profiles on any social media site. Actually I only use social media to keep up to date with family and friends and rarely post to social media sites.

Facebook bought me undone. I do have another profile but it was own that it happened on..
    Although I was open about it at work, I'm in line for a promotion now.
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

I'm still in the closet, but I would avoid social media due to safeguards issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rachel_rachel View Post
    Facebook bought me undone. I do have another profile but it was own that it happened on..
    Although I was open about it at work, I'm in line for a promotion now.
    Wow, look at this post here!

No HIDING! I like it.

Platinum Member
    Hi Quksilver, Be careful what you wish for.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Facebook has a habit of mining information and making connections that you may not sanction. If you want control of your exposure, avoid using male and female accounts on the same computers.

It's actually against the Terms of Service for you to have more than one Facebook account.

If the service is free, you are the product!

That being said, I do use Facebook and Flickr but I am also mostly out... so not really concerned with accidental exposure

Having a "social media" account as a female would likely get you outed. Unless you're out to the world, it would be safest not to do that. And as someone mentioned, against the rules to have multiple accounts.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

This is the only social media I get involved in . I've seen to many bad thing come out of face book to risk it

I had a female facebook account but even though I felt I was meticulous in keeping things separate, the evolving way in which accounts and attributes are used to link people got me paranoid enough to delete it. That said, I have found that using separate browsers for your respective identities provides a fairly fool-proof way to avoid unwanted "linkages". That way, cookies and histories remain entirely separate. The most dangerous feature that you should avoid is using the account from say, Yahoo, to log into Facebook or another social media site because it permits access to all of your contacts by either site plus whoever they may sell or share this info with. Final suggestion, use incognito mode or whatever it's called on your browser especially if others use your computer. And if the NSA finds you interesting, all bets are off.