Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Experiences on other forums...

Years ago (wow that makes me feel old) I looked into other CD/TG forums. Being a firm believer in "first impressions meaning the most", I was quickly disappointed. Like some have said, the other forums were too often about sex, hookups, and comments so blatantly offensive I wanted turn in my "T" card and live on the moon. Then I found Crossdressers.com and have been here ever since. Sure we get some riffraff once in a while but they are ferreted out and quickly shown the door. That's what I appreciate about a well-run forum!

I do participate in several technical forums. Like most discussion groups, the "alpha types" find a way into the group and start their cyber bullying. Perhaps you know the type. These are the people with one purpose in life - to take exception with every point of view but their own. Disagreement is not wrong provided tact, respect and diplomacy are exercised. If left unchecked, these people will preempt good discussion and eventually destroy the forum.

Babette
    Someone else's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

I hangout at highheel place a lot They discourage tv talk but are open to alternative fasion..

Since the mods seem to be saying that mentioning sites by name is okay, I'll mention the ones I've looked at.

I spent quite a while at skirtcafe.org . It's a friendly bunch, much smaller than here. The focus is on men in skirts, not on men dressing as women (e.g., no men using female screen names.) Most of the guys there are concerned with maintaining a masculine appearance, but there is a contingent of people interested in a more mixed presentation.

Lately, I've been participating in Susans.org. There's a lot less traffic, but a higher rate of postings I'm interested in. It's also divided up into more categories, so people with similar interests may actually find your posting. I've posted some stuff and actually gotten responses. It's a more diverse crowd, lots of TSs and lots of non-binary and androgynous and none-of-the-above people. I haven't looked at the CD forum much, but what I've seen is much less One True Way than here. It's interesting -- ReineD recently pronounced me "crossdresser" here, but over there, it's the "Androgyne" forum I feel most at home in.

For that matter, freethoughtblogs.com has some interesting bloggers, if you're not bothered by evangelical atheism. There was one TS blogger who recently moved on, and at least one (Zinnia Jones) still posts (when her life doesn't get in the way.) You get a feeling for the enormous variety of trans experience.

BTW: I notice that this forum has gotten a lot more civil lately (like the last 3-6 months or so.) Is it safe to assume that there's some heavy modding going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Asche View Post
    BTW: I notice that this forum has gotten a lot more civil lately (like the last 3-6 months or so.) Is it safe to assume that there's some heavy modding going on?
    Probably because I got my out and kicked the trouble makers out
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

The avvy pic isn't me
    I've made my rounds, and hung out here quite alot early on after going cyber in late 2009.

The site i felt most at home was CDC, aka thecrossdressersclub, but the place lost most of it's magic for me when the folks i first go to know and love all moved on in RL.

And i think you knew (or still know) some of them quite well Tamara.

I had to leave for a while, and i went back this past spring but it was still lacking and has now gone silent again.....and a pity it is for many too.

I'm more the pop on and have a looksy around type, and i still visit a handful of sites, but i guess all in all, i have become jaded.

I hang out on Skirtcafe, which I enjoy. CrossdresserClub was very friendly too, but is off the web again at the moment. I briefly hooked up to Club Crossdressers and didn't like it at all, so I've quit there.

I also contribute to other for a which are about diverse other subjects.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Gurl View Post
    I belong to several discussion forums. I use to come here more often, but I felt a bit sad and maybe a little unwelcome when this forum made it a rule that I could not even talk about my primary hobby.
    Y'know, even though the topic isn't forbidden here I don't talk about my primary hobby on this forum and that hasn't hurt me in the least. I talk about that hobby on other forums that are devoted to it. That way I can talk to people about CDing here without forcing them to read about something that I love but they may not find as fascinating.

There is a very good reason why certain discussion topics are not allowed. Experience has shown that some topics invariably result in flamewars. Nobody is going to change their minds on such topics so the only result is bad feelings and broken friendships.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I don't post regularly on other forums even though I belong to a few. But, my SO participates on a mostly political website .. it's not a forum like this one exactly but there are regulars who debate the news of the day.

The place is not moderated and I can't tell you how stupid and childish grown people get sometimes. I don't know how my SO puts up with the nonsense. The flamers are always the same people even though they keep changing their names and so at least the regulars know enough to ignore them. But these flamers constantly ruin any chance of an intelligent political debate. It's just unbelievable how ignorant and racist and generally intolerant these people can be and it makes reading the debates tiresome for the rest of us.

The worst that I see online are the comments left under controversial articles. The negativity is astounding, especially when it comes to sexual and gender diversity. There are so many haters around it boggles the mind.
    Reine

Curious creature as I am, I have had a look at several other forums (fora?) and have had similar experiences to most who have commented here. WAY too much sleaze out their. Clearly, I enjoy being here, but I have found that Roses, and the Gender Society/Frock Magazine site are good too. Mind you that fact that I'm doing a column for Frock may have something to do with that.

Ans, Tamara, I do love it when you get the whip out...............
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I have been on several sites but mostly because out of curiosity. This site has been my light house and I have made lots of friends here. The knowledge which I have gained from here is amazing, it has help me see through the pink fog. Now with that being said, I am open to any new insight.
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

I mainly hang out on the reddit crossdressing community, and come here secondarily. Reddit is mostly pictures and advice, which at this point is my primary interest. There are discussion threads, but nothing like we get here. I love that both places are mostly non-sexual in nature.

Like AbigailAlexis mentioned a few posts back, I feel frustrated at being locked out of the "young people" subforum (I'm 31). That's another reason why I find myself on reddit more than here.

I'm a member on several non-cding boards as well. Technical stuff, digital art, and various fandoms. I'm a moderator on a large keyboard enthusiast forum. Huge props to the mods around here btw -- this place feels very civil and troll-free compared to other forums I could name.

edit: 100th post!
    Last edited by edith; 10-05-2013 at 03:43 AM.