Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are men's clothes more comfortable

To me woman's clothing is a sheer delight to wear , no matter tight or loose. Male attire is boring and uninspiring. "Dear Annie", doesn't know what she is talking about. Maybe she should wear female attire and find out how great that experience is.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Because of my build, I generally find that women's clothes fit better and are a lot more comfortable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Men who wear women's clothing, which is decidedly less comfortable, often do so beacuse it gives them a sexual thrill or satisfies some emotional need".
    Well, I guess I must be wrong, the slinky "little black dress" doesn't feel good.

On second thought, NO, It DOES feel very good, and unlike some, I love wearing high heels!
    Proper fitting heels and a tight dress is a wonderful feeling. Getting whistled at never hurt either

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    If I want comfort nothing beats drab, loose, cotton, jeans, shirt, and undies.

When I'm Sherry, comfort is the LAST thing I want! I like everything tite, confining, shaping. As Lynne Marie stated so well. And, synthetics don't compare comfort wise with cotton that breathes in even the hottest weather! And, does anyone claim their hi heels r more comfy than a pair of drab loafers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Beth View Post
    --------------------------I would also have to say to her that I don't crossdress because of any sexual thrill, or to fulfill some emotional need. I crossdress because it appeals that female side of me, its part of who I am not some outlet for some deep seated emtional hangup.
    That's my oppinion.
    Sarah Beth, I believe your need to dress, "---because it appeals to that female side of me", is exactly the "emotional need", Dear Annie was referring to. I don't think she meant it in the negative way that u took it!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 10-02-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Some women can and do wear constricting garments (girdles, body shapers, control top pantyhose, high heels, tight skirts, etc, not to mention bras) and we all know there are lots of CDers who are into these things as well. So in this sense Dear Annie was right. Also, Dear Annie was likely not thinking about suits and ties for men since so few men wear them nowadays.

Her comment about dressing for sexual thrill or to satisfy emotional needs I suppose is true for some CDers (a lot of CDers dress for fetish), but I also think that Dear Annie was giving way to stereotypes by lumping everyone in the same boat.
    Reine

The only mens' clothing I find particularly uncomfortable in themselves are dress shirts and ties. Everything else is quite utilitarian and comfortable. The fit is loose enough not to constrict and shoes are usually ample to accommodate one's feet without the need to remove toes.

OTOH, women's clothing is often works of art that can be worn on one's body. Yes, there are comfy things like yoga pants and t-shirts, but many things like dresses and skirts are more trouble to wear. They may be more constricting or require more attention and maintenance from the wearer. That sexy off-the-shoulder top looks great, but one has to keep an eye on it to preserve modesty. Same with short skirts and other articles of clothing. There are few high heel shoes that can be called even moderately comfortable and most of the truly stylish ones certainly make walking a challenge. How many men carry band-aids just in case their shoes decide to attack their feet?

That said, I think that this advice columnist needs to educate herself a bit on TG issues. The answer she gave touches on the reality of our situation but it does not tell the complete story.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Beth View Post
    I was reading a Dear Annie column in a news paper today and there was a question that began "Why do people make a big deal out of men who are crossdressers" Her response to the complete questions was "Women who wear men's clothing generally do so because it is more comfortable. Men who wear women's clothing, which is decidedly less comfortable, often do so beacuse it gives them a sexual thrill or satisfies some emotional need".
    ^ the highlighted section. Women wear men's clothes because they're not so tight and don't restrict their movement.
    So do you CD/TG or even you GG's out there agree with her statement that women's clothes are decidedly less comfortable?
    I have to say that I don't agree with her. My first thought was what is she wearing and where is she buying it that her clothes make her feel so uncomfortable. Malybe I am off base but one of the reasons I left the "professional" world was how uncomfortable I found wearing suits and ties. I have also found it pretty difficult all my life to find a pair of jeans that really fit me all that well.
    Just like women who wear a lot of uncomfortable things, if you don't shop for your clothes carefully none of it will be comfortable. I used to find most male clothing uncomfortable too, until I got a custom made suit. Outrageously expensive, never bought another, but it showed me how men's dress clothes should fit. And that suit was the most comfortable that I've ever owned. Most guys buy off the rack suits, which don't fit, so they seem to be restrictive to move in. You suit should not fit like that. Neither should your shirts; too many guys get their shirts done for them and wind up with stiff and/or stiff and cheap fabrics.
    My men's clothes are VERY comfortable to wear. As mentioned above, it's the emotional connection that causes the problems (I always feel like I'm in the wrong clothes when dressed as a guy, but when I'm busy, it's not noticeable).
    Women's clothes are often tight, figure hugging/revealing items, and not initially made for comfort, appearance is the primary aim. There's no one who can convince me that high heels are more comfortable than a pair of well worn in wingtips. Stockings are not more comfortable than a nice thick pair of athletic socks, which are now available in dark blue, brown and black, so I can wear them with dress shoes. Underwear, Dockers came out with nice soft, supple cotton briefs which out class all the major brands.

AFA work clothes, they're made to last, not for comfort. If they're comfortable, that's a plus. But they're not designed with that as the primary goal. Stiff denim is a PITA.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

It used to be about the erotic feel of wearing female underwear...panties, bra, stockings, pantyhose......but now days it's more of a comfort thing for me. I've worn men's briefs for years either Hanes or Fruit of the Loom. While comfortable enough they do not compare to the comfort I've found wearing something like a Bali 803J microfiber brief. Those things are just plain wonderful...light no bumps...only one seam, probably the most comfortable underwear ever. I did wear boxers for a brief while during flight school in the Navy....hated them!!!!!

Bottom line....I disagree with Dear Annie....wearing women's clothing does not give me a sexual thrill or satisfies some emotional need for me.

The thrill (sexual or not, just bending or breaking unwritten rules) disappeared after having seen a few women wearing the same skirt, swimsuit or shoes I am wearing or have in my closet.
    When not wearing work clothes, the wider choice of colors found in womens clothing is an emotional need.

This girl obviously has not worn a skirt or a nice dress ;o
    I've only worn a few dresses and every single one has been comfy.
    Sure some things are not the most comfortable but really it's the same with men's clothes as some things are also not comfortable there. That's a silly answer xD

I just think it's whatever you're comfortable in and I'm fine in either as do love to dress fem when I can because I love being fem and do find it sexually arousing also... However, the other day I did play golf and the only thing I had on was a delightful thong and being it was hot I did notice how the air would go up my shorts and feel cool on my exposed cheeks which was comforting and arousing. I had a good round but only wish I could have put on a nice short skirt and top to go with the thong.

Yes of course Dear Annie is right if you stick to stereotypes. Certainly you won't be the most comfortable tottering down the street in a pair of six inch heels, with stockings, a tight skirt and top, an uplift bra and wearing enough make up to surface the driveway of your house. But comfort is not the goal here.

Same with men's suits. They're supposed to create an impression not feel good.

But I do think that women's clothes generally are more comfortable, certainly they're softer particularly underwear excluding bras of course but even they get comfortable with wear.

Oddly enough to prove my point. I changed out of my uncomfortable men's clothes just a short time ago and dressed in my comfort clothes which are in fact female even though they look male at first glance. Annie would be surprised. But she's right about one thing it does fulfil an emotional need.

Silver Member
    One thing I will say is that I increasingly find bras uncomfortable to wear all day.

The only time that I think men's clothes might be more comfortable is when doing hard physical labor. Even then there are similar women's clothes that would work just as well.

For everyday living I think that women's clothes are not only more comfortable but more fun to wear! I especially prefer skirts over pants. On hot days a light-weight "patio dress" (or equivalent) is certainly more comfortable to wear than any of my male clothes!

There are also so many more choices and options. Christmas and Easter were always hard for me. I would see my wife and daughters get to wear all of these pretty things and I would be wearing the same things that I wore to work every day.

The statement re: "sexual thrill or excitement" is a long-held belief by many. Very probably this was true for many when they first began wearing women's clothes, etc. However, IMHO, this effect lessens over time and becomes a quite insignificant for many. This was the case for me. For many years this has not been a part of my wanting/needing to present as a woman.
    Hugs, Carole

Quote Originally Posted by carhill2mn View Post
    The statement re: "sexual thrill or excitement" is a long-held belief by many. Very probably this was true for many when they first began wearing women's clothes, etc. However, IMHO, this effect lessens over time and becomes a quite insignificant for many. This was the case for me. For many years this has not been a part of my wanting/needing to present as a woman.
    maybe true for those here at first... but i would guess in the greater world out there of crossdressers that are more under the radar and less in touch with the "softer" side of this... would be heavily sexual and it continuing on no matter how much they do it...

those are the people they are talking about... not so much the type we see here!

surely this is clear!

There's truth on both sides of this.

I started wearing female garments because of the sexual/sensual thrill, and there is still some of that. Part of the thrill was the close contact that stretchy wear gives, back then menswear didn’t have any stretch, didn't exist as such, apart from the more daring swimwear, and maybe some sports stuff. Part of it was, yes, the taboo aspect of wearing stuff I wasn't supposed be wearing.

As time progressed, particularly after I came to North America, and found men's slips, or plain bikini briefs, harder to find, I realized that a number of female items, panties, in particular, much more comfortable to wear. Better fabrics, nicer colours, shape seemed to fit me better as well.

Lately, after coming out to my GF, and being a bit more relaxed in my own mind about this "habit." I have been thinking about what's behind some of my behaviour. I am spending much more time thinking about my clothing, how it hangs, how it shows my body, function, and technical aspects. I work retail, in a market where the technical performance of clothing can be a high priority. These days the way clothes work for me is becoming of ever higher importance. Finding and choosing shorts that fit me, hang well on my frame, right length etc. is proving difficult, last Winter I basically lived in a pair of women's tech pants. I had this excuse that they were on sale and the men's weren't, but I found they fitted me better. The size 14s just sat near perfect on my hips, the shape showed my butt nicely without being too tight, and the more tapered leg suited my feelings about the look. I was going to buy some women's shorts last month, because they were the only ones that had the length I wanted, and they fitted me perfectly without a belt. However, I found a batch of dirt cheap shorts in a thrift shop, men's, and because they were out of fashion, the length was right too. I am slightly disappointed, I liked the idea of walking round in the ladies ones.

Skirts now, I understand some women don't like them, partly because they don't like the connotations. The implied vulnerability, the sense that they are expected, to wear them to display, the potential for exposure, and the "coldness." For me, these are plus points. I like the sense of "access," the implied vulnerability. I might be thinking differently about that as a woman, but at my height and weight, and living in a fairly safe environment, I don't have that problem. The display aspects are a plus, exposure I don't care about, though I don't go commando, and I don't like people to think I'm flaunting myself excessively. The freshness aspect is a big comfort plus in my book, and there is a very strong argument to be made that skirts work better for guys. I'm still experimenting, but I think thicker stockings, with a longer skirt, are actually warmer than pants. I like the snug feeling of stockings, whereas pants can feel restricting. I think it is because the stockings are in contact, but moving with you. Pants have the problem of being close, but always moving against you. This is very much a personal preference, but is somewhat to do with how much, and how, you move.

So, yes, there is a sexual aspect, but for me, mostly, it's no more than a woman dressing for looks. I would say that it's mostly about various aspects of comfort. All of this is viewed from the perspective of a man who isn't trying to look like a woman, but depending on your point of view, is trying to show some aspects that can be said to be feminine.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

I think that skirts and dresses are a thousand times more comfortable than pants. I wear pants out of necessity, not for comfort. Dressing does nothing for me sexually. In fact I become almost asexual when I'm dressed. I dress to look and feel normal, not for a thrill.

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    The girl clothes I wear are softer and prettier than any of my guy stuff.

My women's clothes are much more comfortable but in my line of work most of them are just not durable enough. Comfort vs. budget and budget usually wins.

I would take a skirt or dress anytime over men's clothes if peiple didn't care what we wore in public.

Men's clothes can be more comfortable depending on what you may be doing. Yardwork, working on a car, etc...

Dressing as a woman makes me feel more civilized somehow.

I'm firmly in the LynnMarie camp and require my femme clothes to hug my 'figure' where it flatters and swirl & swing or blow in the wind where appropriate.

Being an unshaven Neanderthal I need to do the cover-up thing, which generally means long sleeves and double tights, which effectively rules serious CD-ing out in High Summer temps. October is near-perfect and I can prance about in very comfortable femme panties which hold my tights up all day, no problem.

The other 'problem' is wearing the (for me) obligatory wig, which I personally like to be long & wavy. A/ they get in the way when I eat, and B/ they snag my dangly earrings, the sort I like to wear. I suppose I could tie the hair back when eating and perhaps arrive at a style which allowed the earrings free fall, so to speak.
    All this experimentation is in the future........Exciting!

I HATE Jeans. Drab for me is suits & tie for my Profession, or shorts & tees when hot & trews & pullies when cold....I 'underdress' very often, i.e. panties & tights under.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by erica6448 View Post
    Her comment about crossdressers, though, sounds like a definition from a psychology textbook from 50 years ago.
    This is what I thought also. Nothing like someone writing an advice column and not knowing what they are talking about and repeating a misconception from 50 years ago.

Personally, i find that my prettier clothes fit me better and are way more comfortable than my ugly clothes. let's not even bring in the style choices, colors, or fabrics because the ugly clothes are all the same make, different company.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Why can't you have it all ways and enjoy every aspect of it? Yes, wearing women's clothing gives me sexual arousal. And yes, I find it more comfortable than wearing men's clothing. And yes, it brings out the feminine side of me. Etc., etc. Why can't you have your cake and eat it too? That column gives decades-old advice. It shows how ignorant people were back then. Hopefully, that ignorance is lessening.

And even if crossdressing does give some men sexual arousal, what is wrong with that? I can think of far worse things that men can do to get sexual arousal. I would think that putting on satin panties and pantyhose/stockings is harmless compared to some other things.

Women's clothing is much more comfortable as long as I don't want to look like a woman. Once you start with bra, wig, makeup, heels, etc. comfort goes right out the window.