Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What does everybody do for a living?

Aspiring Member
    Tech support for a Canadian telecommunications company.

Truck driver. I used to be over the road, but work for a small firm now, staying in midwest. Used to run heavy equipment in a quarry.
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Power Plant Maintenance tech. About to make a change to operations though

I have been in the printing industry since 1987. I started as a stripper and I am currently a graphic designer.

I am a restaurant manager.

Retired Military, OTR Truck Driver (15 years), Widower(7 Years) presently in the process of moving to Florida. Turned 71 in Sep.

Software engineering, leading a team at one of the best known technology companies in the world.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Insurance sales and service

Banned Read only
    I'm a CNC (Computer Numerical Control) programmer and set up technician, but I sometimes moonlight as a hit man which actually pays better.

But if bullsh****g was profitable I would be a very wealthy person.
    Last edited by Tara D. Rose; 10-05-2013 at 12:28 PM.

car dealership parts department, used to work for a very large road paving company, quality control and transportation manager

Applied mathematician. I figure out better ways to use computers to solve problems in engineering and biology.

I am a Real Estate Broker.

Interesting thread. Just curious what our professions have to do with transitioning on the job?
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Stefan,If your fellow employees carry lunchboxes to work,don't do it there! It will never be easy!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Well if you are transitioning there really isn't much choice. I am transitioning in the job a very male centric, dominated industry. My experience to date has been nothing but positive. But my profession has nothing to do with transitioning in place at work.
    Last edited by stefan37; 10-06-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

English teacher at a not-for-profit college; part-time freelance writer.
    Ali Edwards

Transgender Science ~ Blogging with WrodPress ~ Tweeting on Twitter

"I am half-sick of shadows," said / The Lady of Shalott.

Retired R&D engineer.

Truck Driver

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    I'm a compounding pharmacy tech - I make customized medications at a large hospital, mostly Chemotherapies and TPN.
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

Chemical Engineer in sales. Part time scuba instructor for fun

Quote Originally Posted by Rogina B View Post
    Stefan,If your fellow employees carry lunchboxes to work,don't do it there! It will never be easy!
    Coming from the perspective of a young person who began work in an industrial environment about a year ago, there is a lack of options a lot of times for people in general in today's economy, but especially transgender people.

Looking at the professions here has confirmed what I suspected that STEM, medical, and trades jobs dominate the careers for transgender people. Here's my opinion on what some of this is. Business is trickier for us because the prejudices of other people prevent them from being as likely to trust us in that kind of position where we're dealing with people a lot as the face of the company. It happens, especially with experience on the resume, but in much of the US, the South specifically, it seems harder to overcome prejudices for this. Prejudices in the hyper-masculine trades jobs can certainly make finding work more difficult, but with simultaneous increasing shortage of people in these jobs and demand for people who can do them, there are people even in the South who will at least say, "Well, I'm hiring this person to weld, and the resume shows the ability for the job."

I got my Bachelor of Arts in History. I very much wanted to do museum work even though it's not the highest paying, or maybe even to teach. However, when I realized I'm trans, I realized those running museums and historic battlefields in Virginia are less likely to trust me as the face of the museum or the NPS. As for teaching, even if I were just gay and found out to be, I suspect in much of the state, all it would take is a single redneck parent suggesting that I would "indoctrinate the kids with the gay agenda" to end my teaching career. In some parts of the country (not so much VA) gay people are getting into teaching, but I haven't really seen the transgender teachers out there.

I was desperately looking for a way out of the blue collar world, but now am settled on apprenticeship (and increasingly content with it). If you're transgender in the South with this economy, I hate to seem cynical, but I say take the work you can get.

This is just my opinion though.

I am a telecommunications admin.

Residential electrician by trade but with the housing crisis no work anymore so I am now a parttime mail lady and I also work parttime for a company that takes care of the electrical displays at Lowes. I like both of them a lot. At the P O I get paid to drive around listening to my radio 3 to 4 hours a day. I only make $14.15/hour @ Lowes but I never see my boss. I get my work orders on the puter put up the new displays, take a picture of them and send it to my boss to show that I did it.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Consulting Engineer

Military.