Thread: Jennifer steps out for Halloween

Blondes Have More Fun Jennifer Kelly's Avatar

Jennifer steps out for Halloween

OK, so I've never been out dressed before and I don't really count Halloween as being out dressed but wow. So one of the girls here in San Diego suggested we get all dressed up for Halloween and hit up a local gay/CD bar. I readily agreed and found a hotel two block away so that I would have somewhere to dress and so that I wouldn't need to drive home and could just go straight to work in the morning (this becomes important later).

About an hour before show time, my partner in crime texted me that she wouldn't be able to make it. I was super bummed and thought about not going for a few seconds, but I was already out the money for the hotel room and already half dressed. So I finished dressing, snapped some pics, steeled myself and walked out the door, happy that the elevator was nearby and I didn't have to attempt stairs in my 4" heeled boots (I was dressed as a goth chick).

The neighborhood is somewhat hilly and the first block I had to walk was on a downhill slope. I had never done a non-level surface in heels before and almost faceplanted once but managed to keep my footing. I got to the bar and there were a few folks hanging out but it was early yet. The bartender, Brian, greeted me and I ordered a double vodka sour. He brought me my drink and said "babe, I usually make these drinks pretty heavy so I just got you a single." I took a sip and thanked him for that because it was almost what I would have expected a double to be. And for this strong drink it only cost me $4. Now I know I was fooling no one (pics in the gallery later will show that), but it was nice to be called "babe" anyway. There were a couple of old dudes hanging out who were probably locals, but they seemed unfazed by my costume or that of the other CDer there (who left before I could really talk to her).

When I came in I had chosen my seat at the end of the bar because no one was there. Later on that end of the bar became a focal point of the activity. This would normally bother the crap out my male self but maybe Jennifer is more outgoing. Or maybe it was the strong drinks Brian was mixing up. Anyway I had a front row seat for all the fun and proceeded to start losing nails. Apparently fake press on nails and alcohol do not mix. They also make texting a pain in the ass. next time I'm just going to paint my real nails.

A straight couple came in sat next to me and the girl liked my costume and started asking me questions about it. I got some makeup tips out of the deal. Later on there was a GG dressed up like Sailor Venus from Sailor Moon who I hung out with (and was pretty hot, but probably too young for me) who loved my costume and gave me her email address. We snapped some pics together and not too long after that she left with her friends and I left because I was done after the vodka sour and four vodka cranberries (I switched to the latter because it seemed more goth, forgetting that cranberry juice makes you pee a lot, doh). Normally I would have a buzz after that many drinks, but these were very strong and I was pretty wrecked.

However I had a great time and I'm glad I decided to go even though it was by myself. There were lots of cool people hanging out (gay, straight, trans, CD, a real melting pot) and we all had fun together. I would so love to do it again. I managed to make it back to the hotel in one piece (4" heels while drunk was a new experience), stripped off the costume, changed into my red nightie and crashed. I was only slightly hung over the next morning. The real bummer was going back to work. It was SO not as fun as hanging with everyone the night before.

Not sure if I'm ready to go out dressed any other day of the year yet (and definitely not as a goth chick as that draws a lot of attention), but this was definitely a big step in that direction. I'm sure it helped that I was with an accepting crowd. I was in communication through Facebook with a GG friend I came out to a few weeks ago and she kept saying how happy she was that I was doing this and that I looked very happy. I'm still sort of on a high from that night. Pics will be in the gallery soon.

Congrats on a great outing Jennifer.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I love it, Jennifer! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! And congratulations on getting out there and having some successful social interactions!

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Glad you had such a good time. I have never gone out as Daphne by my self.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Thanks, Amy. It was tons of fun.

A good start. What bar did you go to?

Gone to live my life
    Hi Jennifer,

What a great story and a first great step. Glad you had a great time.

Hugs

Isha

Jennifer,
    Keep practicing and even if you go for short walks in the mall, do it and all the time you will gain confidence and find the activity natural.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

sounds like a good night. but, yes, walking downhill in heels the first time - why doesn't anyone ever warn you! ( answer: because they have no idea you wear high heels ;-) )

Quote Originally Posted by Alice B View Post
    A good start. What bar did you go to?
    The SRO Lounge on 5th and Elm just north of downtown.

It sounds like my kind of place. I'm glad you had a good time.

Nice experience and thanks for sharing. These like lessons for new girls like me