Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I do it??

I'd say do not hesitate. I've done it for fancy dress occasions for work and social events. The work events got a little too frequent perhaps as one of my bosses, a woman, said 'you do like dressing, don't you?' Couldn't resist replying, "love it!' We remained good friends and colleagues until I left. No Hanky Panky eiher, before you ask.

Go for it - you'll have a ball.

xxx

Gloria

Connie, please give this matter a lot of thought. I concur with Linda Allen. Dressing for fun@ SCC or clubbing with other cd's occurs in friendly environments . You work in a professional setting where your job career ,reputation and paycheck can be determined by your employer. Dressing for a Halloween event at work is a pleasurable mind game, but it could present problems and consequences for you personally & professionally. Think it through. Hugs, melissa

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I was thinking 'go for it!' until I read all of the responses. The desire to dress is always intoxicating and an opportunity with a built in cover is especially alluring. Your mind is searching for every reason to validate crossdressing at work. So, if you do it, you'll spend to whole time pretending or denying that you are what you really are. A man that likes to present as a woman. Would you be willing to tell your co-workers that you have dressed for years, which is the truth. Or, you are so good at costumes that you conjured up a fabulous outfit for a one time event, a lie. Personally, I believe that you're going to be clocked big time by people you will face everyday that, even though we live in an age of anti-discrimination and gender sense awareness, subliminal prejudices will always exist. I see a big red line drawn very clearly where I earn my income and I've seen too many times where innocent actions have cost good people the one thing they couldn't afford to lose. Maybe a female portrayal of a more costume-like presentation would be more appropriate for where the paychecks are cut. Or, as I did one year, extreme male on the outside (policeman) and fabulously underdressed in exquisite lingerie (all black lace with locked corset and small forms). Save the AbFab for a more private venue.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I am with the "Go for it" crowd to an extent. There are a lot of factors at play here that we don't know the answer to that only you can make the final "Go / No go for launch" decision. In addition the first factor as many has pointed out either by experience or just looking out for you. These people pay you. These people that you work with (if they don't know) will know that you do cross dress. Of course you know your environment and the types of costumes that others wear for Halloween. If you think you could get away with it all dressed up in expensive clothes and accessories you may be too convincing and get too much attention.

Do go and have fun :-)

a way to come out and not come out

why not go as a crossdresser.???

(i leave the details of that to someone else.)

jodie

What an opportunity! If I could do that at my job I'd do it in a heartbeat. If you think it'll go over well and folks will have fun with it I'd go for it. If you think it may somehow turn against you.....you might think again. Just sayin'. Oh heck, just go for it!!!! Have fun!

Meg

I agree that you should do it!

Quote Originally Posted by BethCD View Post
    You looked awesome. Any negative reactions from co-workers?
    beth
    Thanks for the compliment; as for negative reactions, not really! The women all loved it; one guy was a little stand off-ish, but another guy was entertained by my appearance: he playfully asked "How's it hanging?" and I shot back with an honest "Crammed up there pretty tight, actually!".

Though the workplace atmosphere was right for me in 2011, even if Halloween hadn't fallen on the weekend in 2009 and 2010, I wouldn't have attempted a female appearance at the office then due to specific unfavorable circumstances at work during those two Octobers (extreme workload & imminent layoffs, respectively). In 2011 the vibe seemed right, and I figured any potential move up the org chart was far enough in my future that I didn't worry about sabotaging my career path. YMMV

Silver Member
    Yes - dress up and enjoy yourself.

My attitude about work is not to mess people's perceptions about you. Halloween at work should consist of the most boring costume you can find...like colourful tie or something. Especially if you want to be promoted. It shows you are all business. However, I would do anything at a private party even if co-workers were going as long as its all with good friends. It also depends on who you work with obviously.
    Chickie

I might dress in costume at work for All Hallows' Eve, but not as a female character. I'm not prepared to take the risk personally or professionally.

All it takes is one idiot in a position of authority to screw things over. Employers can invent a reason to dismiss employees without cause almost with impunity.

I would do it in a minute if I worked in the right environment...I don't. Just keep in mind...Halloween is on a Thursday this year, not Wednesday.

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    Halloween is a bit like having a hall pass for the day. It sounds like fun.

Banned Read only
    The idea of going to work en femme is always enticing. In the past there has been advice not to do it every year otherwise it may be assumed you're consumed with emulating a female. I think going dress as a woman would dress for your position would be appropriate. If you would normally wear a suit or sport coat with tie, then go in a woman's business suit or skirt and white blouse. On the heels I would recommend a solid lower heel. You'd attract a lot of comments and inquisitive comments if you were able to negotiate the office in five inch heels for eight hours. If anyone questions your feminine manners just tell them you watched a lot of You Tube instructional videos, which may not be far from the truth anyway. Have fun.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. If you are in a friendly environment then go for it and enjoy the day. I wait to see the photos.

Connie, it so depends on the personalities involved. I once dressed as Frank (Rocky Horror) for a company Halloween party. Major mistake. The ridicule persisted for years. Way not worth it. But I was a really cute transvestite

On the other hand, this is 2013 and perhaps your co-workers will be more accepting than mine were in the 1980's. However, unless you are considering coming out to this group, might be best to rethink your costume.

Just my opinion; just my experience.

Hugs, Robin

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I agree to do it, BUT...not as Connie...

Pick a female celebrity who is over the top in some way and show that it is still Halloween, after all. My fav. is Elvira, but I'm sure there are many other possibilities that would work for you. If you were just going out to dinner with friends that would be a different story, but this is your profession so I'd be a little more thoughtful about it.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Trouble is, if you dress too well on the day, you are likely to partially out yourself.

Most would expect you to dress as a parody of a woman, as opposed to a very well presented and expensively attired lady. I discussed this with my wife as a possibility for Halloween but she cautioned that my standard of dress would out me. Shoes, dress, bra, forms etc etc. just wouldn't cut it as an outfit I had put together for one night.

Good luck, whatever your decision.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Hell. I'd kill to look like Elvira. But at my age (64) I have more chance of 'phoning" the pope!

Silver Member
    Bringing your dressing into the workplace is just a bad idea, Halloween or not. As unlikely as it might be that something will go wrong, it isn't worth putting your livelihood at risk.

Gone to live my life
    Hi there, I am of the mindset if it is something you want to do then do it. However, it really depends on your workplace and how you see it impacting your employment. There was a thread some time ago about using Halloween as a way for those who don't normally go out to see the light. It was divided in that some believed you are outing yourself if you do too good a job and others believed a one of would probably not be an issue.

If you are not concerned by some chatter and feel it is not an issue with your work and will be something that will be forgotten . . . go for it. If you feel so what if people figure it out . . . then go for it as well. If you are concerned it will accidently out you or have ramifications for your job, then I would give it some thought before you make the leap because once it is done, it can't be undone.

Hugs

Isha

To All,
    Thank you all so much for your thoughts & advice. It's given me a lot to think about.

Sandy, you looked wonderful - thanks for your story.

Amanda P, you looked great then & you look great now.

Linda Allen, I work in an office type environment so lifting & carrying heavy stuff won't be happening, so skirts & heels are appropriate, just like the other girls..

Nina P great suggestion for "Connie to be the highly successful and upwardly mobile employee"

While most of the posts say that I should "go for it", others cautioned about the possible ramifications. Thinking about the place, the people, the culture of the company... I think they are right. Going as Connie, I could not do it half way, and you're right, people would know or suspect at the least. And the ribbing could go on for years & effect promotions, pay raises... Too much at stake. Won't be going as Connie..... this year. Maybe next year.

Hugs to all.

I think you should, You'll enjoy your self and if any one actually cares just tell them that it's your choice not theirs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Every year I wish I could it! Every year I chicken out! I say go for it!!!

As much as I would like to, no way at my work. I am a designer in the tool & die industry. I would never live it down, plus my employer is uber religious. It would not sit well with him, plus this is one of the best jobs I have ever had and would not take the chance on messing it up.