Thread: Philosophical question

Philosophical question

Would crossdressing cease to exist, if everyone was ok with whatever everyone else was wearing?

I may always have the answer, but when I do, it's from good questions.
    Stay thirsty my friends
    Integrity is not a random event. It is ones' goal for a lifetime

Margo Paulse

Not necessarily, just greater acceptance.
    More girls would come out and play.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I don't think that it's "everyone *not* being okay with what others wear" precisely that allows for crossdressing.
    Theoretically, we could all be very open-minded and tolerant, but as long as we still recognized gender as symbolically recognized by different fashions then there can be crossdressing.
    I mean, women who wear "men's" clothing is not at all a big deal today in 2013, but there are certain types of clothing we still recognize as overwhelmingly "male" and when people born as women wear such clothing, it's still technically crossdressing I would say.
    For there to be no crossdressing we have to have no notion of gender. IMHO.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    How would what others think affect CDing at all? Also what does "stay thirsty my friend" mean? That's a dumb commercial, not a philosophy!

i think so, it works for girls now. girls can wear suits n ties or work boots, sweatshirts and ball caps and are never called crossdressers.

and i love that commercial, especially the one...if opportunity knocks, and he's not home,
    opportunity waits...lol
    paula

Then it wouldn’t be crossdressing, it would just be dressing?..........or has Suzy missed the point again!

Stay thirsty my friend? Well I had a cup of tea this morning.

Well, what's cross-dressing? Is it wearing clothing of the opposite sex (answer: yes), is it presenting (or trying to present) as someone of the opposite sex (answer: also yes) or perhaps something in between (answer: yes as well)? So if everybody's OK with what everyone else is wearing, does that mean they're OK with cross-gender expressions as well?

Cross-dressing isn't an activity as much as it is a 'condition'. Many men don't start cross-dressing because they need a hobby like model trains or woodworking, there usually is a deeper cause. Society's perception of cross-dressing may change if everybody can wear whatever they want, but the urge, need or love for expressing ones 'feminine side' will not disappear.

Until fashions are made generic and not for the male or female shape crossdressing will continue.
    So the fun will go on.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    I guess the only way you would techincally get rid of crossdressing would be if all stores combined both the womens and mens departments into one and everyone shopped together. Put the bras next to the Carhartt overalls and the boxers next to the thongs. That way anyone can wear anything and crossdressing is gone. But then some one will bring up the issue of gender expression. The man who wants to physically look female, the female with the crew cut who wants to look (please no offensive but excuse the term) "butch". As long as society has their "norms" someone will always have an issue.
    Erica

In a literal sense there needs to be a gender differentiation in clothing styles to enable 'cross dressing'. Even if both male and females dressed in exactly the same garb, the relative body shapes would distinguish the genders and I suspect that 'cross dressing' would then be exclusively about foundation garments to create a alternate body shape. For me thought it's more than just about the clothes and there lies the problem! lol x
    So far in the closet, I've got one foot in Narnia!

Never do anything that seemed a good idea at the time!

Today I am the youngest I'm ever going to be!

add me and message amanda.shaft@hotmail.co.uk

http://amandashaft.hi5.com

Philosophical answer....depends.

I'd be okay with it as I would just be being myself. The problem is most people need definitions and labels to get along and they don't want to take to time to get to know others personally.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Platinum Member
    Hi Margo, That would ruin everything.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Views can't really change that. It might be better to ask: if everyone stopped wearing clothes would we still be crossdressing?

I think that as long as there exist ways to use clothing to identify gender, there will be crossdressing.
    Susan GG

As long as there is feminine and masculine clothing.... there will be crossdressing even if its acceptable to do so....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Platinum Member
    I will have to presume that in your hypothetical situation, people still can tell the difference between male and female attire. If that ability to differentiate remains, then yes, logically, cross dressing continues to exist so long as any individual choses to wear the clothing of another gender.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

The only way cross dressing will ever cease is if everyone stopped putting Men's or women's in front of the advertising to establish who the type of clothing is aimed at which I can't really see that happening as stores would have to put all types of clothing together , just take jeans and trousers , instead of men's on one floor and women's on another it would be all need to be all together , take for ever to find the style you want .
    I think the closest you might get to it is if where uniforms are required as in schools/ workplace they stopped putting girls/boys male/female and just put uniform now that would be a good start .
    Last edited by Joanne f; 10-25-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Quote Originally Posted by Zylia View Post
    Well, what's cross-dressing? Is it wearing clothing of the opposite sex (answer: yes), is it presenting (or trying to present) as someone of the opposite sex (answer: also yes) or perhaps something in between (answer: yes as well)? So if everybody's OK with what everyone else is wearing, does that mean they're OK with cross-gender expressions as well?

Cross-dressing isn't an activity as much as it is a 'condition'. Many men don't start cross-dressing because they need a hobby like model trains or woodworking, there usually is a deeper cause. Society's perception of cross-dressing may change if everybody can wear whatever they want, but the urge, need or love for expressing ones 'feminine side' will not disappear.
    I agree with Zylia... Women are not look at in an unfavorable light if they wear "men's clothes". But say a male wears "female" clothes he is looked down at and even made fun of... Our society is what we have allowed it to be.