Thread: One Year as Amy

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar

One Year as Amy

It was almost exactly one year ago that I finally, after untold months of dithering, fretting, and outright paranoia, managed to disclose to my fiancee Sabrina my nature as a crossdresser, and the existence of this other self of mine that goes by the name "Amy." So...how did I get from there to here, and where do I go from here?

At the time I came out to Sabrina, I was still rather deeply in the closet. I had never ventured outside as Amy, and I didn't think that would ever happen. Within a week, I had taken my first steps beyond the front door, and I continued to venture out more and more, finally losing all fear of being out as Amy in May when I got my hair done as Amy. I have continued to do so since, becoming more comfortable at venues such as the Black Crown, and even being out in the open among the crowds at PrideFest.

It was only a few days after I came out that I posted my first pictures here. If you go look at all the pictures I've taken since then, I think you'll see distinct improvement in my presentation and makeup skills; I know I do. I've also gotten better at the "mechanics" of acting female, and especially continued to develop my Amy-voice, the one aspect of my presentation that seems to have garnered the most praise.

It was in March that I started attending the monthly meetups at the GIC, and I've done so regularly since then. This has culminated with my being asked to take over as the meetup's organizer as of this month. Obviously, I've set a good example, and I shall continue to do so.

What's most valuable to me is all the friends I've made, through this site, through Facebook, and in real life through the Meetup group and the Black Crown. I am quite a bit more social as Amy than I am as a male, and I, who never had any biological sisters, now have sisters that appreciate me, sisters that care about me, and (probably) even sisters that look up to me.

Would I have believed the kind of progress I've made in this past year, had you told me back then what the future would hold? Absolutely not! I'd have probably said you'd been smoking too much of certain substances which are now legal in Colorado!

So...now what?

Well, a few more milestones are coming up in short order. As part of assuming my new role in the meetup group, I have been asked to meet with the Program Director of the Gender Identity Center; this will probably happen sometime next week (not sure when, she's very busy). I will also soon be bringing my femme skills to work, as part of my attempt to win the Halloween costume contest with my witch outfit. Shortly thereafter, I'll be attending my first bachelorette party, for another CD that's getting married. It'll probably be a pretty wild affair!

I am also aware that I now have a greater role in the transgender community here in the Denver area and in Colorado; this carries with it certain social obligations. I plan on attending the Day of Remembrance observance, for instance, and the Colorado Gold Rush conference in February. I'll need to be on the lookout for possible guest speakers and topics for the meetup group. And, of course, I can't neglect my own feminine growth in the meantime.

One thing I won't be doing, though, is underestimating myself, since this past year has proven that I have more to myself, as a woman, than I dreamed possible.

This is just the beginning...

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Amy,
    It is nice to be able to track your progress over time, you have kept us informed well.
    Like you, I wonder what will the next twelve months bring.
    I will be watching.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I am so happy for you. You seem to be such a kind person. I hadn't realized it has been such a short time that you have been out. You come off with such confidence I just assumed you had been going out a long time. I hope the coming year beings nothing but joy and personal growth.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

Platinum Member
    Congratulations Amy on your anniversary it's been a great year for you.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Congrats, Amy! So happy for you and happy to have you as a friend

Congrats Amy onward and upward

Platinum Member
    Congratulations on an amazing year of growth. Is it fair to say that you've achieved things a Amy that you never imagined possible in your previous life?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Mazel tov on a year of growth and accomplishment, Amy. I enjoy reading your posts!
    Susan GG

Gone to live my life
    Hi Amy,

Congratulations on a wonderful and fulfilling year.

Hugs

Isha

Wanna see Amy now? Go to here Post #9 Amy you are wonderful
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Just one of the Girls 4mymichelle's Avatar
    Hello Amy,

Happy Anniversary!
    It is a real pleasure to have you as a friend here and on Facebook As you probably have seen we just celebrated our one year anniversary of the so cal events group so this is definitely a reason to celebrate also. You have definitely come a long way in this short time. I wish you all the best with your journey. I know you have inspired many people here and will continue to do so.

Hugs,
    Michelle

Congrats on a wonderful year! I hope your journey continues to be everything you wish for !

Congrats Amy, you sure done a lot in a year, and having friends down there in the city I know helps. Have fun at all the parties your going to here in the next month, hugs. girl
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    This is one of the things I'm so thankful for...having such great girlfriends here that are always ready to lift my spirits! Thanks to all of you; you're truly the tops! (Especially you, Julie...I continue to wish you well...)

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Grandpa View Post
    I am so happy for you. You seem to be such a kind person. I hadn't realized it has been such a short time that you have been out. You come off with such confidence I just assumed you had been going out a long time. I hope the coming year beings nothing but joy and personal growth.
    I know, huh, Rita? It sure seems like forever sometimes. I don't know where I got this air of confidence from, except to say that this is one of the reasons that I am officially through underestimating myself, because it's obvious that Amy just won't quit!

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Congratulations on an amazing year of growth. Is it fair to say that you've achieved things a Amy that you never imagined possible in your previous life?
    Totally fair, Kim! My male self isn't all that social at all, and doesn't normally get out much...not so for Amy! I wonder if the freedom of being another, female person has freed me from certain inhibitions? If so, being a woman is helping in ways I never expected it would!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Wanna see Amy now? Go to here Post #9 Amy you are wonderful
    Lori, you're pretty darn special too. I don't know if that's the most flattering picture of me, but it is me, just as I am. Well, a bit fancier than usual, maybe, but it was the Haunted Cabaret, what do you expect? I got all kinds of compliments that evening, including one that I was looking much more comfortable, and one from (singer) Maggie's mom complimenting my voice. Plus I was doing the Time Warp in stiletto heels that night! (Some would say that's the only proper way to do the Time Warp! )

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Amy... What an evolution! You should be so PROUD of yourself . You are on a never ending, self fulfilling adventure. Enjoy the ride.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You have come a long way Amy and we are all proud of you!

Yea! Great job Amy!
    Megan

So great, I wish I could get to this point someday.

Good for you, Amy. It is so very good to hear of your progress and of your self fulfillment and happiness! Good luck to you on your personal journey. The future appears to be very bright for you!
    Di

YMMV
    hope the next year is just as good for you!
    "In our lives, change is unavoidable, loss is unavoidable. In the adaptability and ease with which we experience change, lies our happiness and freedom."

"My actual gender identity emerged as I healed from the scars of childhood not because of those scars" - Kelly J

Sigh, I always knew Christina Kay's Avatar
    Congratulations on one year. And all the best Amy for the coming year. Great job sweetie.... Hugs
    Follow your path.. For only you can decide, which way to go.