Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why?

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar

Why?

Is it my imagination or do most crossdressers prefer skirts and dresses over girls pants and a top. Dont get me wrong I like the look of a pretty top and skirt too, but for most practical purposes jeans and a basic top is the most common thing worn by ggs where I am.
    Maybe I should say at least for photo reasons. I notice in most of the photos that are posted a good percentage of the girls here go with fancier cloths. Maybe Im just a plain jane? I guess if I was born a girl I would have been a tomboy.
    Erica

Not me. I don't give a lick about dresses or skirts. Pair of tight leather jeans on the other hand....

Before everyone jumps down my throat. This only my opinion and that's all it is.

No you are not a plain jane. I have noticed the same thing here where I live. I think ggs dress that way because there is less worry about things like shaving your legs for one. Pants are also a way that allows a woman to sit without some jerk looking up her dress/skirt. But probably the biggest reason is because they are just more comfortable. We being men also tend to wear dresses and skirts because it is such a wonderfully different feeling. Shaving our legs is also different than the way we were use to. My wife would wear pants a lot but now I have her wearing skirts more often and she has rediscovered how cool they are in the scorching summers we have here on the Gulf Coast. I see a lot of ggs here going around in jogging outfits and shoes. Others wear jersey cloth shorts and things like that. Lately I have been seeing some women wearing PJ bottoms which is totally ugly and gives me the impression that they really don't care how they look however, there are a number of other reasons that they have for wearing them. I like the jeans over the heels look myself and when the jeans are pressed it can look very neat and clean.
    Marilyn Monroe: I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot.

Me I wear jeans everyday for work, so when I dress as a woman I prefer a skirt. If I were living 24/7 as a woman it would be different. I try to blend in , and have worn shorts , jeans and leggings., but if I am not putting on a skirt why bother.

Tend to agree Erica. Where I am the gg's are more into slacks and jeans. I am finding less skirts and more slacks and coloured and floral jeans in the stores. (Even more shorts to now that summer is approaching "down under")

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Product differentiation.

I have now lost track of all my "male" clothes except for one non-gendered sweat-shirt. But even with my long hair and earrings and modest bust (38B at most), people who see me in girl jeans or pants are likely to take their major cue from my face shape, and so would most likely gender me as male. Less so with skirt or dress.

And yes, women around here do still wear skirts and dresses. Not the majority of them, but it is not uncommon.

In my area, I see women wearing jeans, skirts, and leggings. It's all varied.
    I like the lot. I wear what I feel like wearing on the day. It is great to have the choice of skirts, jeans, and leggings. Just enjoy and wear what you feel good wearing!
    Di

personally I prefer to wear skirts because that is what my interpretation of the female image is in my mind, I look at women who don't really take a lot of time over their appearance or choice of clothing and think why do you choose to wear something like that when you have such a large choice of pretty clothes at your disposal, although many years ago being a confirmed skirt wearer was persuaded by my wife to try trousers, so I did and they really looked and felt good so I now have in my wardrobe trousers jeans and leggings and they look and feel very feminine especially with the right pair of shoes as well.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Being a child of the fifties, the skirt thing is firmly implanted in my mind as what every woman should wear. I do wear slacks and jeans at times, but with two very different sized legs, the fit always leaves me looking kind of lopsided with one leg being too tight, and the other being too lose. Just my own inner self-consciousness still haunting me.

With a skirt, there is no give away, except for the two different sized shoes......Can't escape it.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Erica,
    I for one definitely prefer skirts & dresses. In fact, that's all I own.
    I agree that they make me feel more feminine. And if I'm not going to feel feminine, why bother??
    Hugs

Silver Member
    My female persona is a traditional woman, so she always wears skirts or dresses.

On a practical level, I don't need pants in either gender. Of all of the various jobs I have done over the years, all have been done indoors, sitting, and I don't ride a horse or a motorcycle. I don't really need anything between my legs... other than what is there naturally.

When I grew up girls wore dresses or skirts and boys wore pants.

If a female is showing off a great shape in pants or jeans thats nice to look at but she is still a Crossdresser.

For me as a male to crossdress its dresses and skirts.

I can wear pants anytime. A skirt or dress - that's a different thing!

CD-ing to my mind is getting away from wearing trousers/jeans. Lovely slinky tights and a flowy skirt that swirls as I walk and I don't care a toss for the legions of GGs who prance about in leggings or jeans.

M.

Gone to live my life
    For me, I would most likely dress to blend with the venue. For the most part on the occasions/venues I have been to, I wore jeans and nice top as that is what most women are wearing (grocery store and malls). My last trip out, I travelled in a denim dress, denim jacket, scarf and calf length boots. When I stopped at a busy rest stop along the highway to get gas, a coffee and use the bathroom, I drew a lot of stares. Not because I was stunningly gorgeous (okay in my mind I am ) but because my outfit was so far removed from the sweat pants, jeans and hoodies that most women were wearing and people looked. The worst were guys . . . we see long hair, dress and calf length boots and we look . On the way home I was dressed in jeans, boots, coat and scarf and stopped at another busy rest stop. I got a few looks but for the most part people went about their business and never even glanced my way.

If I were going downtown in the summer months, a lot of women dress in smart business skirts and sundresses so I would most likely dress in a similar fashion. If I were going out to a restaurant or bar, I would most likely dress to suit the venue. For me it is about blending as I cannot pass so I prefer to be dressed like the women around me so as to deflect any "why is she dressed like that" stares.

Don't get me wrong, I love dresses and skirts but I truly believe a well accessorized outfit of jeans/slacks or even shorts can be very feminine as well.

Hugs

Isha

I have noticed the same. Most GG's wear pants or jeans most of the time. For myself I prefer skirts and tops as I like to mix and match what I have, though I usually wind up in either my black skirt or my jeans skirt.
    Stephanie

I guess I'm old fashion! I prefer skirts and dresses! It's been five months since I wore slacks or jeans! I have some health problems also that make wearing skirts more practical!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Just look how many skirts are on sale at Walmart.
    Jeans top the list, and have done so for a while.
    Simpler to put on, no hose needed.
    I even go for shorts in the summer or capris.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Erica, I know want you mean. GG's are all about pants and dressing down. But for me it's all about dresses and skirts. It's what I see in a real women.

Platinum Member
    I probably wear slacks 90 percent of the time, but if I want to really get dolled up, I go with a skirt or dress. Dresses are intrinsically more feminine.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I think it's mostly just a matter of personal preference. Also, some don't get to dress that often so go the whole 9 yards to get more bang for their buck. I prefer long skirts and dresses but quite honestly if I decided to dress 24/7 or to transition I would no doubt wear pants more for comfort and practicality.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I dress to blend in and can feel every bit as girlie in a pair of capri pants or tight girlie jeans as long as I'm wearing cute shoes (with painted toes nails if open toe), a feminine top and carrying a nice purse. Of course with hair, make-up, appropriate jewelry and a nice feminine cologne also help with my overall feminine mind set.

Quote Originally Posted by Erica Marie View Post
    Is it my imagination or do most crossdressers prefer skirts and dresses over girls pants and a top......Maybe I should say at least for photo reasons. I notice in most of the photos that are posted a good percentage of the girls here go with fancier cloths.
    I do not think it is your imagination. There is a difference between being able to dress on occasion and dressing most or all of the time. Even if you get to have your favorite food all of the time, you still want some variety especially when other factors come into play (e.g., convenience, mess level, cost, place and time). Having to eat your favorite food all of the time would change your desire level and you would crave some change after a little while.

I work in an office environment 3-4 days a week and have a moderately desk-bound job on most days. I rarely wear a dress or a skirt for comfort and practical reasons (1-2 times a month), and I wear heels a little more frequently. I work with about 20 women including the executive director and department managers and the frequency is about the same with a few minor exceptions. Many associate femininity with dresses and skirt which is understandable; however, I can still feel very feminine in dress pants and a nice blouse or sweater. One of the joys of shopping is finding work suitable outfits that are not plain and boring.

Hi there Erica. Let me start by saying that I thought the majority of crossdressers, were crossdressers because we enjoyed wearing clothing of the opposite sex. I will be the first one to defend anybody's right to wear anything that they wanted to. If you "girls" want to wear a pair of Carhartt coveralls and call it crossdressing than so be it. I don't consider it feminine but who am I to say. The fact that a GG is wearing slacks is from what I've heard, crossdressing on her part. If you want to wear womens slacks than that is your right and I hope you get the same thrill, that I would get from wearing a dress like my avatar and profile pics. If only I could look like them. What I'm trying to say is that I am surprised at the amount of "girls" who do enjoy wearing female jeans and slacks. Perhaps I'm just old fashioned due to the fact of growing up in the fifties and sixties. I hope no one feels that I am critical of their dressing choices.

Now for Jeannie. I am one of those jerks who love to get a look up a dress or skirt. The day that I stop looking at women's legs and up their skirts, is the day I want to die. If women were so offended by the male looking, they wouldn't wear anything above ankle length.They know we look and they're proud of what we see.
    After searching my lingerie drawers, I have come to the conclusion that they lied. Ruffles don't have ridges. At least mine don't.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I own one pair of 501 Levis, my work uniform pants are all the same khaki and I have two pairs of Carhartt shorts.
    In the fem wardrobe, I have 40 dresses and about 30 skirts. In my perfect world, I'd have no need for pants.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!