Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Every CD's dream job, or nightmare?

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar

Every CD's dream job, or nightmare?

So, I lost my job earlier this year in a layoff. I haven't had a lot of luck finding anything else that pays anywhere near what I made before, so unfortunately that's meant unemployment. I have applied every few weeks to places like Catherine's, Dress Barn, Avenue, Lane Bryant and Ashley Stewart in order to meet unemployment requirements, never expecting to actually be called back for an interview. On Friday, one of the store managers actually called me and asked if I knew I had applied to work at a woman's plus size clothing store. Honestly, by her tone, I think she called me out of sheer amazement that a male would apply to work at a woman's clothing store in the Bible Belt. As we got to talking, it was becoming clear that the store has issues with its employees, and I might actually be exactly what she needs as a part time manager. So, even though she initially called me seeking a seasonal temp associate, she ended up asking me to apply for the part time manager job and wants me to come in next week for a face to face. I am absolutely excited, but then as I started thinking, reality started setting in. Even though my wife is 100% on board with this, I am nervous how it might go over with the store associates, should it work out. I am pretty masculine in appearance. And I have not, nor do I intend, to share Allison with anyone there, even though I know their corporate policy is 100% supportive. So I guess I am seeking some advice.... I know some girls here have worked in such places and I need some help.

1) How would I dress for this job (in drab, as I alluded)- dress shirt and tie, or polo shirt, what would be acceptable attire?

2) What other advice can you give? I know she is looking to bring someone in who will make a difference in loss prevention, specifically with regard to employee theft and holding people accountable.

This has always been a dream of mine, in a "kid in a candy store" kind of way, but I never thought it would actually have a chance of happening in this area of the country.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated. Thanks!

Silver Member
    It is understandable to have mixed emotions about your employment situation. On the negative - you lost a good paying full time job and those jobs IMO are very few, but the positive side you have a (dream) offer to help someone who is willing to pay for you to be on the cutting edge of feminine fashion. Although you may not "be out to others", you should be honest with your prospective employer. If she accepts and is understanding, she can become a positive on your side by helping with your feminine side - fashion, makeup, etc. As for dress code of what to wear - ALWAYS let the boss set the rules. Usually a business appearance is required - whether in female or male mode. Go for it, do your best, & maybe your boss would consider you for full time.

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    I'm excited for you, what a great story! I spent some time in retail management though not with clothing; the way I'd handle it is go to the interview full on suit and tie, then ask the interviewer what she'd prefer you to wear day to day. I had to make a switch similar to yours and I really didn't know what the dress code was so I just asked at an appropriate time during the interview, they were happy to share what'd they would like as a day-to-day appearance.

On the "other advice" front - beyond facing the obvious issues of coming in as a male in an all-female workplace, be prepared for some enforcer duties. It sounds like they may need a house clearing if they have LP issues with the staff so you may need to endure being unpopular at the outset until you root out the bad apples.
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

I kind of hate to rain on your parade, but I think you would be better off dressing in a suit to make a good impression, esp. as you listed no. two as her main concern. I think that may be why she is thinking of a man for that job, rather then another woman. Anyway, Good Luck!!

I would go wearing a suit and tie to work and act very professional. The CDing doesn't have to come into it. A good place to get nice stuff with or without an employee discount. Sounds like a win/win situation to me.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I agree with everyone else. Go in with a suit and tie on. The best way to get the job is make a good first impression. Then when you get the job ask what you can wear to work.

good luck with the interview

Look profesional

A suit would be best and shine your shoes! you will be surprised how many people judge others by their first appearance. Also go with in-depth knowledge of the business i.e. shares, market position, other branches, etc..... Good Luck
    Last edited by AnntoAnn; 10-27-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typo

You are applying for a job in a business that most likely is of a corporate environment. It is a business which concerns itself with P&L reporting, and as a manager, you may be tasked with ensuring profitability, HR issues, reporting and forecasting, purchasing, etc. I would go to the interview in a suit and tie, and look at this as an opportunity for future growth. As the saying goes: 'dress for success'. During the interview, I'd ask as many questions about the running of the business, and what challenges and opportunities lie within the organization and especially within your department.
    Good luck, Allison. I hope you get the job.
    Di

Platinum Member

You Never Get econd Chance To Make A Good First Impression

Hi Allison, Think about if you were interviewing a prospective employ wouldn't think better
    of some one that showed up looking professional I know I would.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

What to wear is partially decided by what part of the country you're in. For example a city location may require a suit while another area might be the "power" appearance which is a dark navy sport jacket, gray pants and a red/navy tie --- in some areas just a button-down white shirt and no tie --- your manager will tell you which.
    Would not suggest bringing in any hint of CD issues at this point but only that you have, hopefully, a flair for fashion. The CD part of you will have a chance once you have established yourself.
    If it's part of a chain go visit another store to see how they break down (present) styles, sizes and colors rack-wise. What age and size groups they cater to, etc. so you can be as prepared as possible. Learn about the corporate chain of command (Table of Organization) and so on from an Associate Handbook if they have one, along with rules and regs like break times, how to punch in etc. --- but corporate affairs is not your first priority. At first, to weed out the "bad" ones DO NOT be "hardnosed". One of your projects is to get into the good graces of the "Queen (s). Not what you think: every store has an employee who has usually been there a while and they are looked up to by the others rather than to the manager. They are the keys to your sucess. Although I am still a consultant to retail chains --- having been in every level of management in every conceivable type of retailing for over 55+ years i"ll offer you a deal FREE as I would love to see you suceed: For the first year or sooner until you feel comfortable --- PM me on any subject from scheduling to employee theft (50 times more costly to bottom line than shoplifting), from running promotions to employee dresscode --- you name it. Good Lord willing I'll answer you within 24 hours of any PM. By the way, if they don't have an Associate Handbook - that would be an early project as accountability --- whether reporting on time to accurate handling of markdowns should be in writing as verbal rules are too easily bypassed.
    Good luck
    Julie

Wear a suit and tie like a male manager would.
    Other sage advice in this thread should be researched.
    Brush up on your lack of staff administration knowledge as well.
    Good luck with a good job.
    Women are a fickle lot if not administered correctly.
    Allison should know.
    Do not introduce any of your relatives and that includes Allison.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Good advice above.

Others have covered your dress.

What I would suggest is that, even if your CDing is not discussed, your love of fashion would be a definite plus for that job. As a manager you would be in the rather fun position of being able to have some rather girly interactions with women even in male mode. If you're managing a clothing store then they'd expect you to be interested in fashion!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Wow, some great advice here, and MUCH appreciated. To be clear, I have no intention of dressing anything other than male or letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak. I will definitely go suit and tie to the interview.

Julie, I really appreciate your insights and experiences and I will definitely be in touch if this works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissy Kay View Post
    I kind of hate to rain on your parade, but I think you would be better off dressing in a suit to make a good impression, esp. as you listed no. two as her main concern. I think that may be why she is thinking of a man for that job, rather then another woman. Anyway, Good Luck!!
    I agree.... wear a suit with a really colorful pretty tie.... I always get positive comments when I wear any of my Jerry Garcia ties... Good luck!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Is this really your dream job? A part time manager in a retail store? Is this a good career opportunity for you or is it a step down from what you were doing?

I was able to stay at a job and advance for over thirty years. I'm now retired and receiving a good retirement and health benefits. I suggest to anyone considering a job or career that they consider the long term when considering a job, not just the hours or how "fun" it is. I'm not suggesting that anyone do something they hate for thirty years, just that they think past the next week or two.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

For those who look down their nose because it's a retail store --- think again. Sure there are so-called "mom & pop" stores and there are minimum wage-no future retailers but there are many, many chains that do offer great future wages and retirement/health benefits. Guarantees? No way--- as in every other field --- it's as good as you make it. Being a college graduate helps a good deal not from what you learned but the learning discipline comes in handy. Part time often becomes full time there or somewhere else. Employees become assistant managers become managers become district manager in one chain or another. Hours become longer as you go up the ladder and so it does for an attorney for years after joining a law firm. Most don't and can't think past the first few weeks because you have to bring home money for food. Work hard and smart and it usually works out beyond what we can foresee at the moment. Get a masters and a Phd if you want to pick and choose and even then you may end up washing dishes for awhile. It's tough out there --- get real!
    Julie

1) Yes, a coat and tie. If it's too dressy, your boss will tell you if you can or should dress down a little.
    2) Approach the job with professionalism (like you're selling plumbing fittings, etc.), not like a kid in a candy store.
    3) well, there was no 3, but here goes: you'll get your opportunities to reap the benefits, but separate your approach to the job to your CDing. I'd keep the CDing private at least until you have had a change to acsertain attitudes regarding CDing, as I'm sure you'll get CDing customers. Engage any conservations that may arise and feel out the boss and co-workers about how thgey feel about CDing.
    Apparently, you have qualities the boss likes. Use them and do the best job you can.
    Times are tough and jobs are scarce. Good for you for seeking whatever work you can get. You never know where this could lead. Companies of all kinds need good managers, so take advantage of the opportunity.

As much as I would love it, I don't think a job at a woman's clothing store would work out for me. My entire check would be spent on clothes having as easy access as that would bring. Sounds like dream job to me, though. If I had a choice, I'd rather perform the job enfemme, though. Go for it and enjoy. Maybe you can broach the subject with her in some left hand way and see where she stands on the CDing.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    I would go wearing a suit and tie to work and act very professional. The CDing doesn't have to come into it.
    I would go with Kate here. Suited and booted as we say over here and keep the CDing out of it. Get the job first and you can always bring the CD issue in later if you feel that the place is genuinely open to the actuality of a CD, rather than in it's mission statement.

Negatives out of the way, sincere best wishes for the future.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

I think a pink dress shirt would be appropriate. It would say that you are not intimidating or threatening. If some of the other associates wonder about your preferences, it would at least say you are interested in female fashions and make you approachable.

Definitely wear a suit for the interview. The hiring manager knows clothing and style. Keep it sharp. Don't even raise the en femme on the job idea, at least until you get in and prove yourself for a period of time. even then, don't push it. Think less of how you present in the mirror and more about how you present to a wide range of customers.
    All that said, how's the employee discount???

Platinum Member
    You can ask about dress code, but as a standard I would start with shirt and tie, sport coat optional. Set a higher tone for yourself. Then focus on the problem...shrinkage can kill an otherwise viable business and theft is theft. Go get them and be proud of your contribution!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Linda- jobs are extremely scarce here right now, and it's a major step down financially from what I was doing. I have 12 years of management experience already, albeit mostly in the transportation field. However, my wife was already making more than I was, so I don't have to start out at the top. I'm hoping part time will lead to full time down the road.

Julia- I understand it is somewhere between 40-55% for the employee discount. I haven't had the face to face interview yet, I'm expecting that later in the week.

Good luck in the interview. I think it wise to separate CD-ing from job hunting. The point should be securing a job and how to best go about it.