Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no more halloween for me

no more halloween for me

Its funny that a few years ago Halloween was the best night out ever
    now I have the feeling that I dont want to go out dressed on Halloween because I dont want to be lumped in with dragged up frat boys behaving like queens.

I do love to look as good as I can and just dont ever want to be considered a caricature.

does anybody else feel this way?
    Cath

Yes, unless there is a big party with friends. This year the parties were last Saturday. Halloween itself, eh, we live on a.country road, trick-or-treat kids don't get here much ... We turned out the lights and went to Gravity at the 3D IMAX. I dressed of course but conservatively, not in a costume or draggy way. The place was empty.

Platinum Member
    It's pretty much the same reason I don't drink on New Year's Eve...I once heard Ed McMahon refer to it as amateur night.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Others can think what they want Hon. If I'm going to go out en femme, I'm going to have fun with it despite how others view me.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Dressing up as Tina, for me, is not appropriate as a Halloween costume, but that doesn't mean that Tina can't be in costume! Halloween dressing is often best when it is over the top and that's the fun of it for me.

I just was not in the mood to do any dressing yesterday. Even though I had an OK by the So! Sometimes, I just don"t feel like it.

At Halloween it just feels like I am making fun of something (femininity) that I hold is such high regard

Quote Originally Posted by KitCat View Post
    At Halloween it just feels like I am making fun of something (femininity) that I hold is such high regard
    KitCat, that's exactly how I feel. It's too serious for me to mock.

I meet with my gender therapist on Thursdays (ie Halloween), I'm not full time (yet) but took advantage of the day. So I was in jeans, moderate heels, tank and cami I added a cat ear headband as my nod to the holiday.

This year I used the opportunity to dress in a female costume rather than being a guy in drag. I figured Halloween is a chance to be in costume and I don't considering my cd'ing a costume.

I kind of agree with you Cath even though I don't frequent any sort of Halloween event where I'd be in the midst of said "frat-boy" mentality.

Back in college I did my Halloweens and haven't since. I think for the person stepping out into the real world for the first time, Halloween has it's purpose but for me it has run its course. I do think that it'd be fun sometime to go to a party or event not as a "female" but in a costume for a female. That way your not competing with the dude who throws on an ill-fitting bra, tosses in some water balloons, squeezes his hairy body into a dress and teeters in high heels.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

For some of us a caricature is as good as it gets. Went as a male this year which wasn't easy
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

While Halloween is thought of as our 'National Holiday' it does attract a lot of wanna be's that do not present particularly well. I give it a miss and save my days out for the other 364 on the calendar.

After all, is it really a costume when we get dressed or just another 'normal' day dressed?

Hugs, Robin

I really don't much get the chance to dress for Halloween, not en femme, anyway. But even if that were an option for me, I would not bother with it. You see, Marla is not a Halloween costume. Marla is a manifestation of something inside my soul, the woman I might have been but for that genetic crapshoot at conception. I don't want to relegate her (me) to the level of a Halloween costume. And anyone viewing me while I'm all decked out as Marla would know in an instant that this isn't a costume - it's me doing my very best to present as an actual female. It's not some cheap characterization of a female, but an actual, tastefully dressed, somewhat elegant, "real" woman. I leave Halloween to the kids, and reserve it for ghosts, goblins, vampires, and other spooks.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Marla, Well said. You spoke for me too. I , at the last minute, went out to the post office, went througha drug store, and went to a dollar store, where all the employees know me. I also went to a Burger King drive up, and passed. But, Holloween turns me off, now days. I loved it as a kid, but do not like it anymore.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. In fact it has gone from being 1 night to an almost 2 week celebration of parties and fun. If Halloween has become something that get under your skin because some frat boys dress drag, then you have some pretty thin skin. I refuse to have something fun taken away because of a perceived slight. I'm really amazed and the number of people in this thread who have their whole identity defined by what others do .
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Tried to delete this post duplicate
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

I found myself feeling the same way this year. I had two different costumes and could have but after going out on the 30th, I just didn't want to bother with the 31st. As I become more comfortable with who I am I am finding that just going out on halloween doesn't feel right anymore. It's strange.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Just change your party friends and go to an upmarket party in future.
    You are growing up girl and want to try some sophistication.
    You are not being a snob, just changing your values a bit.

I don't go to college toga parties any more either.
    It is a rite of advancement in life.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    The two times I did go out on Halloween I wore a pretty dress, heels, wig and makeup. It gave me an opportunity to venture forth into the world as a woman and not a clown.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    I have never been out dressed for halloween. If I would it would have to be a true fantasy type costume. Not just to dress enfemme. I recently started going out and it is much more than just dress up for me. It is being who I am.
    Erica

For the most part I agree but I do enjoy being able to don a female character for Halloween. Being a princess or Elvira is still a kick.
    After all, it's just one day out of the year.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Hi,

I once crossdressed for a Halloween party and had fun but later felt oddly bad about it, like I was helping to perpetuate the idea that it is freakish and for Halloween. I've since decided that I'll crossdress in everyday attire throughout the year and put on real costumes for Halloween. I'm not dressed as a crossdresser, I'm dressed as a french maid, I'll say. This way, in my mind, I'm dressing up as something other than just wearing feminine clothing.

Cheers,

Kalista

I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, through and through.
    I love nylons and high heels, mini-skirts and shopping deals!
    I don't care what others say, life's too short, it's time to play.
    I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, how 'bout you?

Quote Originally Posted by KitCat View Post
    I do love to look as good as I can and just dont ever want to be considered a caricature.

does anybody else feel this way?
    Three or four years ago, my SO got to the point where she felt that way. But, this year I asked if she wanted to do something for Halloween and she considered it with some enthusiasm. Except nothing came of it, we didn't plan far enough in advance since my SO had gotten rid of her nice Halloween costumes.
    Reine

Halloween is a good way to break the ice in going out into the real world. Now that I've gone out dressed on other occassions I don't feel the need to have to do it.
    However, now when I do dress for Halloween I try to dress as a character (female or male) rather than just as a woman. Someday I'd love to have the body to do Jessica Rabbit rather than Mimi.