Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying Pretty

Flying Pretty

I am planning on flying pretty for the first time and wanted to know what to expect from TSA agents, checking in.. etc. I kind of nervous but I am looking forward to moving to flying as Kellie

Just show your id to the TSA agent, and go. Don't worry about the gender marker. TSA is pretty experienced with this kind of thing. ....at least the ones at the big city airports are.
    Wear flip-flips or footwear that is easy to take off when going through the metal detectors.

I had no problem a couple of weeks ago between Baltimore and Atlanta.

When I flew pretty from Houston to Louisville, the Houston TSA agents, in particular one "older" gal were outstanding and treated me with dignity and even a little bit of humor (that I instigated). Go for it. It is an experience you will never forget and will want to do again.

Robyn

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Do be aware that if you are wearing a bra with metal in it, then you might get hand-wanded or asked to use the body scanner. If you are wearing forms then you might get the body pat to ensure that you are not hiding something in your bust. These are both possibilities, and some of the members have experienced them. But they might also might do nothing.

TSA has specific instructions to its agents and contractors on dealing with breast prothesis, so although forms might be noticed, you are quite unlikely to be hassled about them once they figure out what they are. Experiences may differ in small towns.

Flying internally in Canada, the most I have felt "picked on" was that one of the agents seemed to be trying to provoke me to talk so as to confirm that my voice was not female, and it felt at the time to be a bit "Hah! I caught you!".

This comes up all the time here. Here is TSA's official version http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...nder-travelers

Also search TxKimberly here she has flown all over the US
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I went on a cruise en femme earlier this year (and plan on repeating next year), went through airport security both ways fully dressed, even went through the backscatter machine. No issues other than a quick touch on the back (by a female agent ) after a flag popped up. If you treat the line like you would in drab, you shouldn't have any trouble. Wear shoes you can remove easily; be aware that you will be walking without shoes for about 10-15 feet and cute socks or freshly painted toes are always awesome.

Try to avoid loose fitting clothes, but that's just general fashion advice. You will be nervous at first...but like any excursion, once you are out of the car and in public, you realize that nobody is going to try anything (especially with the level of security at an airport) and you have every right to dress however you want. To make things easier on the agent checking IDs to make sure you are you, don't go too strong with the makeup, especially the contouring of your face until after the security line, then pop into the ladies and fix it up (or use the family restroom if you are uneasy about using the ladies - whole separate thread for this).

I have never flown pretty as most of my flights are international.
    Maybe one day from Hawaii to LA, that is my only internal flight these days.
    I prefer not to add any complications to my travel arrangements.
    The TSA seems quite open and tolerant about it though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    I have flown wearing all female clothing including bra and panties but with a face full of hair (I fly to Phoenix to Senza Pelo Med spa for electrolysis). The TSA saw my bra and wanted to pat me down in that area. They asked my name and when I used my female name a woman TSA did the pat down. My ticket and ID were in my male name but not a word was said and the agent said have a nice flight miss. As my own breasts have been growing due to HRT I have had a pat down by a male when I was mostly dressed in drab. I loved the look on his face when he realized that I had boobs (all be it small ones but just the same they are boobs).
    Just and older girl trying to experience all that life can bring.
    "Life is not a dress rehearsal"

I flew while underdressed, and my bra was picked up by the body scanner. The male TSA agent did a pat down, felt my bra strap, and asked if I was wearing a girdle. I said yes, he continued and then sent me on my way.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    My frequent experience is in Australia and not the US. Staff that deal with the public be they TSA, flight crews or hotels are all very aware and trained in dealing with difference. We are just another version. I have never had a bad experience. In fact some staff are especially friendly when travelling pretty.

Just sit back and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    This comes up all the time here. Here is TSA's official version http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...nder-travelers

Also search TxKimberly here she has flown all over the US
    As Lorileah mentioned, Kim has set the gold standard for those of us who want to "fly pretty". Her August 7, 2012, blog summarized all she has learned over the years. Find it here: http://kimberlyhuddle.blogspot.com/2...ly-pretty.html

Kim's blog through the years has great insights, wisdom, whim, and touching personal revelations -- I highly recommend it to all. Her advice gave me the knowledge and bolstered my courage so that my first time flying I was relatively fearless, not fearful. Also, be sure to read the recommended TSA page about transgendered flying. I printed it and had it with me just in case, although I didn't need it going to and from Florida from Washington, D.C.

(Additional thought -- I love the Marriott hotel chain. They have a specific policy about LGBT and actually have a part of their website that welcome the LGBT world to Marriott, explains that they have a very open and progressively trained staff to accommodate us, and it has proven out for this gal. I even got a hand written note from the CEO, Bill Marriott, after writing and explaining my initial fears, and later my flawless experience with Marriott staff.)

HAVE FUN FLYING. My best advice is try to blend in as best as possible and be every bit the lady you are. People have sufficiently distorted views of us in general, something most of us are trying to change by just being out and about in spreading normalcy.

Regards,

Rhonda
    Last edited by Rhonda Darling; 10-22-2013 at 03:20 AM. Reason: additonal thoughts
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Thanks Rhonda for that edit - I stay at Marriott's all the time but have never checked in en femme. It's good to know I shouldn't have to worry about that experience when it happens.

flown many times partly dressed. no wire and underwire bra. been put through the all the scans. never had a problem. knock on wood. going to vegas this weekend.
    regent,

Updated from my flight.

Update. My flight to the west coast was filled with highs and exciting and nervous moments. Standing in the security line which was a mile long.... thinking everyone was watching me.... then not caring. Going through the screeners and getting patted down while looking down at my stocking covered feet and pretty colored toes. The long and did I mention long walk in 4 inch heels to the plane, to my rental car and hotel when I landed. My feet were killing me. Sitting next to the window on the plan when a woman sitting next to me asked me where I got my pretty necklace. OMG I luved that. Getting my rental car and handing over my male driver license and seeing the smile on the rental agent. Checking into my hotel.... with the desk check in woman welcoming me to the hotel. It was a total rush for 7 hours..... and I look forward to doing it again. The pic is me on the plane
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hard to believe... i'm sure they'd ship me off to Guantanamo post-haste if i tried that!!! Surely 2 lbs of fake boobie is more threatening to the plutocracy than 4 oz. of conditioner?
    "You say, 'There's not a lot of me, left anymore- just leave it alone...'" (Tori Amos)

Kellie Anne....you look great! Wonderful to hear your story about your flight, and congrats!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Kellie Anne,

Congratulation, it sounds like you had a great time. I hope some day to brave flying pretty on a business trip - truly an inspiring story.

Hugs

Isha

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Another great flying pretty experience ... thanks Kellie Anne. I could follow all your steps (except in flats!!) with a smile.

Kellie Anne:

Glad you first flying pretty experience went well. Forgot to mention "don't wear killer heels -- the name is your clue." Now that you've done it once, you'll want to go again. Do it. We need the world to see that we're not the caricature that the media often cast us as - we're people who deserve the same courtesy and respect as is due everyone else.

Question: did you carry an escape change of clothes, or were you "all in" for the duration of the flight? I prefer the latter - it keeps me on my best game the whole while.

One little additional note. If your guy beard is fast growing, plan accordingly in case of delayed or missed flights. You pass well, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to have a 5:00 shadow pushing through your foundation and causing embarrassment. Most everything else will be easy to deal with.

Congrats on your success.
    Rhonda
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Quote Originally Posted by Phydelia View Post
    Hard to believe... i'm sure they'd ship me off to Guantanamo post-haste if i tried that!!! Surely 2 lbs of fake boobie is more threatening to the plutocracy than 4 oz. of conditioner?
    The last time I flew, I presented "in between" genders. I was in girl jeans, a woman's polo top, some cute flats, and I had my forms in my bra. However, I had no makeup, and my beard shadow was prominent, and although my long hair was tied back in a ponytail, it is thining in front and on top. Going through TSA was a breeze, there were no problems As has been mentioned, TSA has very specific guidelines regardig their dealings with transgenders, and on what to do when they encounter prostetics (breast forms). From what I read, there is the potential for more issues when forms are carried in carry on luggage than there are if they are worn.

I picked up on this thread because I'm planning on flying completely en femme to Chicago in January for the Gay Christian Network national confrence.

Kellie, I'm glad to hear that your first flight was so successful.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

I'm not at all passable --- my beard shadow would show through in 1-2 hours. I've thought about flying "in-between" --- like Roberta above. Am I better off putting small forms in the carry-on to be added later, or just wearing them through the checkpoint?

Congratulations! The first one is the hardest.

I fly, on average, four times a month. Never had an issue with TSA. I suspect at the larger airports having someone fly pretty is a non-event for the TSA staff. They may even like the change in their routine. Just give them legal ID that matches the name on the ticket and you should be good. Giver yourself plenty of time.

Kelly nailed it about thee long lines. But with the summer travel over, the planes are still packed, but the lines seem to be shorter. Cannot wait for the holiday travelers.

Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaS View Post
    IAm I better off putting small forms in the carry-on to be added later, or just wearing them through the checkpoint?
    I travel light and rarely check luggage. Before flying pretty, I would just throw my bosom buddies into the roller bag. I only recall one inspection. I actually had two sets in my bag. They may have been the only things in my bag. The agent asked me what I had. I just smiled and said some breasts................ forms. He opened my roller bag, opened one of the boxes and said “Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes you do.” Smiled, closed the box, zipped the bag back up and said, "you are good to go. Have a good trip." Smiled again and said, "you have a nice day." It was pretty humorous.

Welcome to the Flying Pretty Club. I joined the club about 3 years ago going round trip to and from Las Vegas. I was well worth the preparation. So much fun and firsts for me on that trip.

KelliAnne, thanks for sharing! Though I don't think I could ever do it in 4 inch heels......mainly because I prefer to be comfortable. Though you WILL see my pretty colored toes.
    Yes, you're right. Nobody cares. TSA agents generally won't bother much. When I flew, they seemed to focus on my carry-on bag when it was going through the scanner.

The closest I've come to official interest is when I was flying out of Portland, OR. A TSA agent asked about a lock on my suitcase, and asked me "Would you open it, please, ma'am?"

I said, "Sure, but it's a TSA padlock on there. I got it at Wal-Mart." I started to drag it to a table, he looked, then said, "Never mind, ma'am. Have a nice flight." Which I did.
    ~Lady K.~