Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Clothing

Vintage Clothing

I love vintage clothing from the 1940s and 1950s. This last summer I made a skirt out of a vintage lace table cloth and it turned out really nice, considering it was my first attempt at sewing. Does anyone else like vintage clothing?

I do! That is a style I would love to bring back! How's Seattle? Plan on moving to Portland soon!i think it's so nice that you can sew your own...
    Ms g
    Vegan runners are sexy!!!

Love it!
    40's Swing/50's Rockabilly looks.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon_ View Post
    I love vintage clothing from the 1940s and 1950s. This last summer I made a skirt out of a vintage lace table cloth and it turned out really nice, considering it was my first attempt at sewing. Does anyone else like vintage clothing?
    My vintage clothing usually deals with costumes and comes from the 1860 - 1880 period.

I have a dress from like the 1880's that I do two costume characters . It is black in color with sheen cloth and is decorated with lace.

Also I have a red top and skirt that I use as a Southern belle lady from the 1860's. This also is very decorative. with lace.

Both are supported by a 115" hooped petticoat.

Since I now have edema and need wear comfortable shoes, these types of costumes are best for me. I can wear comfortable shoes and the hoop covers it all!

Both costumes are worn with lacy pantalettes.

I think I have used my picture ability on this part for this week. I will try to put pictures on the Pictures and Video gallery next week.

You can check the P & V site am I have put a picture of me as a midieviel Duchess.

Aspiring Member
    Ohhh yes...but expensive. Those were the days of well planned clothing and jewelry to match. Would love to know how to sew to follow in your footsteps. Nice job!

Platinum Member
    Hi Shannon, I remember Growing up in the 50s' and the 60s' when the ladies always dressed nicely.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica giovanna View Post
    I do! That is a style I would love to bring back! How's Seattle? Plan on moving to Portland soon!i think it's so nice that you can sew your own...
    Ms g
    Seattle is wonderful! I love living here. Portland is a nice city too...I'm sure you will like it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Martha G View Post
    My vintage clothing usually deals with costumes and comes from the 1860 - 1880 period.

I have a dress from like the 1880's that I do two costume characters . It is black in color with sheen cloth and is decorated with lace.

Also I have a red top and skirt that I use as a Southern belle lady from the 1860's. This also is very decorative. with lace.

Both are supported by a 115" hooped petticoat.

Since I now have edema and need wear comfortable shoes, these types of costumes are best for me. I can wear comfortable shoes and the hoop covers it all!

Both costumes are worn with lacy pantalettes.

I think I have used my picture ability on this part for this week. I will try to put pictures on the Pictures and Video gallery next week.

You can check the P & V site am I have put a picture of me as a midieviel Duchess.
    What is the P & V site?

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuneta View Post
    Ohhh yes...but expensive. Those were the days of well planned clothing and jewelry to match. Would love to know how to sew to follow in your footsteps. Nice job!
    Thank you. My first skirt turned out pretty good...a little too sheer to wear in public. The next one I make will be more suited for wearing in public.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    Hi Shannon, I remember Growing up in the 50s' and the 60s' when the ladies always dressed nicely.
    I wish men and women would go back to dressing nicely like they did back then...the women wore long dresses and the men wore ties. A little different style compared to what people wear today.

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    Love it!
    40's Swing/50's Rockabilly looks.
    I love poodle skirts from the 1950s!
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 11-05-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Merged - Please use the multi quote button

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon_ View Post
    What is the P & V site?
    Picture and Video section on here.

The 1920's is my favourite era in terms of ladies fashion. I also love the look of the dresses from the late victorian/edwardian era though I can't imagine them being very comfortable or practical to actually wear. The hats were uttetrly ravishing however and I'd wear them anyday.

Aspiring Member natalie edwards's Avatar
    I like the rockabilly/ pinup style. Don't own any...yet.

I am onto 60s and square dancing costumes.
    Luv them taffeta slips.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I love clothing from the 1920s to 1940s.i collect sewing patterns of that period. here in march every year we have a art deco week ,so me and the family go out and ride the trains and go up town in art deco style . Just love it.

I LOVE vintage clothing!
    Lisa

Vintage clothing is classy and has real style.
    I'm with Beverley Sims on the square dance clothes. I happen to be wearing that style skirt and top right now.

Gold Member
    I have some rockabilly/pin-up dresses I bought local. It is a great and fun look. The store here is wonderful and they make everything fun. The tougher part is developing the hair and make-up look. It is something I am getting better at, but like all things practice...practice....practice.

I can't say that I'm into vintage clothing, but there are some "vintage" styles which are classic and never go out of style. A couple of years ago I got tired of buying clothes that fit my male shaped body so poorly, so I broke out a sewing machine that my Mom had given me years ago, and learned to sew. A couple of years ago I added a serger to our crafting room, and last year got a new digitally controlled sewing machine. While I've made a few dresses and skirts that include these classic styles, believe it or not, I have the most fun making Christmas presents for our grandkids. The year before last I made them all fleece scarfs with incorperated mittens. Last year they each got a personally designed winter hat.

When friends from my non-crossdressing world ask about my interest in sewing (this past spring I made a formal dress and jacket for my wife to wear at our son's wedding, which she was sure to tell everyone was personally designed and made by her husband), I tell them that I have my downstairs powertools which include a table saw, jointer, and radial arm saw, and I have my upstairs powertools, which include 2 sewing machines and a serger.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    They are too out-dated, gg's don't wear dresses anymore, can't be 100% passable in out of fashioned styles and there are no fun places to wear them

Last edited by Princess Chantal; 11-05-2013 at 11:01 AM.

In the category of vintage intimates, I love the Betty Page look. There is an online store, alexis4u, that has way too many lovely remakes of this vintage. They also have a lingerie model who does a great job reprising the Betty page look.

Hugs, Robin

I love vintage nighties. I have many

Platinum Member
    I love vintage full slips. I have over four hundred slips in a rainbow of colors. I love the lace at the bodice and hems. I wish women would demand or wear slips. I loved going to retail stores as late as the 1980's to buy slips sold for holidays and seasons. I love the reds and pinks at Valentine's Day. Reds for Christmas! Pastels (yellows, light greens, pinks, light blues) for spring. Darker colors (dark greens, browns, earth tones, navy) for fall. Now? If you're lucky you may find Vanity or Vassarette brands in white, black and beige. Sigh! But, I love eBay!

Quote Originally Posted by robindee36 View Post
    In the category of vintage intimates, I love the Betty Page look. There is an online store, alexis4u, that has way too many lovely remakes of this vintage. They also have a lingerie model who does a great job reprising the Betty page look.

Hugs, Robin
    She was absolutely gorgeous! I love everything about her...

I like vintage clothing but it doesn't look good on me so I don't wear it.

Yes! My daughter and I shop the vintage shops in San Francisco together!
    Debby

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I recently bought a closet full of vintage clothing at a Hollywood studio auction.

I fear you'll see a lot of Sherry in 30's to 70's outfits this winter!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sherry,
    Thats fine with me. I just love seeing Sherry. Now if you would only wear cat's eye frames.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud