Thread: Melbourne Cup day

Melbourne Cup day

Today was the Melbourne Cup. The city (Sydney) was full of ladies dressed to the nines - dresses, high heels, hats and fascinators. I felt so envious of them being so free to express themselves through their clothing styles. It made me feel a bit down. Anyone else feel like that when there is such an event and they can't take part in the way they would like to?

I find it amazing that a 5 minute horse race creates such a big event, but I guess it's just a good excuse to party. It reminded me of when I was a child and I went to a fancy dress party with my female cousin as Mr and Mrs Durban July going to the races - I was the Mrs and she was the Mr. That was probably the first time I felt the excitement of dressing en femme, wearing makeup, carrying a purse. I remember some people saying after a while that they didn't realise I was a boy. I remember thinking it would be great if I could have switched places with my cousin permanently.
    I dance to a different beat.

Sounds like a lot of fun for those who went! Next time get that dress on and join them! I guess that's what you call wishful thinking!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I was the same here in Townsville. All the pretty women dressed to the nines. Perfect hair and make up and fascinators in their hair. So very jealous.

totally empathise x

Sounds like the Kentucky Derby here in the US.
    Fascinators???
    Keely

One of the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Keely View Post
    Sounds like the Kentucky Derby here in the US.
    Fascinators???

little hats that perch on the head, usually extremely ornate and extremely impractical

Definitely Royal Ascot and Kentucky Derby rolled up into one.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    H Stephy, That's the way it is with the Preakness race here , take mental notes for your next dressing session.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Would love to have attended the cup dressed up, and while my heart never left Australia, my body is stuck on the wrong side of the ditch.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz