Thread: Thinking about flying pretty

Thinking about flying pretty

Next week I will be traveling to the DC area for work. Obviously I plan to pack a few "unconventional" items in my suitcase so I will be able to enjoy some me time in the evenings. I am traveling with some colleagues which means I will not be able to fly pretty on my way there and because we will be sharing a rental car, my opportunities to get out in the evening are slim, but I will be staying on through the weekend and returning home on Sunday evening. This means that if I so desire, I should be able to fly pretty on the return trip. The only problem with that plan is that I will be visiting family that do not know about me on Sunday prior to heading for the airport so I would not be able to get dressed before heading to the airport.

I am flying out of Dulles. Can anybody familiar with the area recommend a good place for me to change from my drab clothes either at the airport or reasonably close to it? I tried to look up the airport online to see if they showed unisex or family restroom where I could change prior to checking my baggage and obtaining my boarding pass, but was unsuccessful in finding anything.

It has also been several years since I ventured out into public dressed either alone or not for Halloween, so I am a little concerned about passing and all of the other fears that go with presenting to the general public. For those of you that have flown pretty, how important is a passing appearance to traveling without incident?

I'm terrified and excited all at the same time. I don't know if I'm going to end up chickening out like I did recently when my wife and kids were out of town, but I would like to at least have all of the intellectual information available so then I can make the decision completely emotionally.

Traveling without incident? If you blend well and are self confident, then there should not be any real issues. Self confidence comes with being out often and interacting with the public. I have never had any issues with TSA officers. Just give them legal valid docs and they are the least of your worries. Depending who occupies the seat(s) next to you, expect a little or a lot of chit-chat.

There is a gal named Kimberly who flies a lot and has written quite a bit about her adventures. Hopefully some can come up with her last name and you can then check out her posts.

Good luck.

The Girl you are looking for is Tx Kimberley.
    There are a number of threads about flying pretty experiences, most without incident.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    The Girl you are looking for is Tx Kimberley.
    There are a number of threads about flying pretty experiences, most without incident.
    Thank you Beverley.

Here are the basics: http://kimberlyhuddle.blogspot.com/2...ly-pretty.html

I cant help you with a place to change on the way to the airport. When I fly from that airport, I am flying home from a hotel and so am able to change in the hotel.
    It is up to you to decide if this is a big enough deal to you to rate paying for a hotel the night before you leave.
    The first time I decided to "Fly pretty" it made me a nervous wreck and I swore I would never do it again. In fact I think that there is a post on this forum for that very event. I swore I would never do it again - I was wrong.
    I grew to love it. Instead of a 8 to 12 hour day of traveling bored out of my mind, I suddenly loved my trips and my flights - a chance to be me for a day!
    Passable? They dont care. Their only requirement is that you are dressed appropriately (not in a corset and stockings), and that they can be reasonably certain that you are not lying to them and are who you say you are. (my link covers all of that).
    I have flown from Dulles several times - no problem.
    If I can help, feel free to message me.

Probably Huddle has covered this, but take some emergency male clothes in a carry-on bag in case your luggage is lost.

I just think its a little risky given the limited time you will have and travelling company... I once had a co-worker enter my room and look at all my stuff... and other times they hang around the security checkpoint while the security guard dumps all your belongs out on the table. Maybe a cover story is required in advance...like you wife gave you some clothing to give to your cousin who you will be visiting... as for flying on your 'own time' I would do it.
    Chickie

Thank you for the encouragement. I still am in the air about it (no pun intended), but your suggestions help.

Chickie, there is no way I would consider it on the flight out as I am sharing the flight with one of my colleagues. I am also planning to put all my girl things in my checked baggage for the flight there so there is little to no chance of my colleague seeing anything at the airport. I also expect that our rooms will be private and am not concerned about my colleagues rummaging through my stuff in the room. I am only considering it for the return trip where I will be entirely on my own. My only problem is finding a place to get dressed before arriving at the airport (or at the airport prior to check-in). I will be staying with family and friends after my conference and will not have the opportunity to get dressed the morning of my return flight.

I may end up not flying pretty at all, but just enjoying some time at the hotel during the week. I'm not even considering being daring enough to try and sneak out in the evening for fear of risking running into one of my colleagues in the lobby or the hallways of the hotel.

I flew pretty two months ago from Baltimore to Atlanta and back.....wearing a dress no less! Everyone treated me great : ticket counter, TSA, restaurant stores & restaurants at the gate, the airline people, the passengers, the car rental, the bus back to long term parking. I'd do it again in a heartbeat without hesitation.

I will only address the part about flying pretty, and passing.
    If you are concerned about it on the ground, it will be the same in the air. If you don't give a hoot...ditto.
    At least in an airport, or on a plane, the chances of meeting up with a violent reaction from somebody is almost nil.

The one time I flew pretty, I was in a skirt, blouse, flats, and with no makeup or wig. I was kind of obvious. It was not too bad. The hardest part for me was the long walk down the concourse passing 1000's of people as I was on my way to my gate. A lot of them took their easy look as me as we walked past each other. It was stressful because I figured eventually one would be someone who knows me. However, nothing bad happened. The lady who sat by me on the plane was very curious and started asking a lot of questions. She walked with me down to get our luggage.

CDing at the airport, safe. There are guards, security, cameras, no weapons.
    CDing at the park at night, dangerous.

As for changing, just find a parking lot that is a little secluded or big enough and change there. I've done it many times. I dress often though, and can do makup and such pretty quickly. If your pressed for time, I would do simple makeup, foundation, light blush, mascara, maybe a slight one color smoky eye shadow and lip stick.

My biggest concern is you don't get out dressed regularly. While travel is a great opportunity to be pretty when you can't at home, you will be dealing directly with a lot of people the whole time, so make sure your mentally up to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain

Don't you have to show ID to fly? Doesn't that make it awkward?

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceri Anne View Post
    ......My biggest concern is you don't get out dressed regularly. While travel is a great opportunity to be pretty when you can't at home, you will be dealing directly with a lot of people the whole time, so make sure your mentally up to it.
    This said it all for me. If you are totally confident being out dressed then this will probably work out fine. If you have a change of mind even one minute after the door is shut on the plane, your stuck, and I tried hard to keep that bit clean. I have to admit, I too would love to travel pretty, but really not sure I could do it just yet. Good luck whatever you decide.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I recently travelled back to DC through Atanta. I didn't fly pretty but half of the clothing in my carry-on was fem not to mention breastforms. Here's a link to the TSA's position. It really helped me feel comfortable about going through TSA.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Hi all! Thank you so much for the advice and concerns. I thoroughly appreciate all of the insights.

Just a quick update: I won't be flying pretty after all. It's not so much a question of confidence. Years ago I used to get out and about on a regular basis and was reasonably confident then. Since getting married, those occasions have dwindled to a few Halloween adventures, but having been out there I know once I crossed the threshhold into the real world I would shake off the jitters and be fine, but I found out today that my flight home is early on Sunday morning and not Sunday evening as anticipated. Given I will be staying with family on Saturday night and the fact that my children will all be awake when I get home, I have decided discretion to be the better part of valor and will be traveling in boy mode this trip. I am sure there will be other opportunities.

Thanks again for your suggestions and support.

:*)

The link does not work.
    Vicky from Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by VirtuaGrl View Post
    Hi all! Thank you so much for the advice and concerns. I thoroughly appreciate all of the insights.

Just a quick update: I won't be flying pretty after all. It's not so much a question of confidence. Years ago I used to get out and about on a regular basis and was reasonably confident then. Since getting married, those occasions have dwindled to a few Halloween adventures, but having been out there I know once I crossed the threshhold into the real world I would shake off the jitters and be fine, but I found out today that my flight home is early on Sunday morning and not Sunday evening as anticipated. Given I will be staying with family on Saturday night and the fact that my children will all be awake when I get home, I have decided discretion to be the better part of valor and will be traveling in boy mode this trip. I am sure there will be other opportunities.

Thanks again for your suggestions and support.

:*)

I will by flying through Philly to Detroit Sunday myself. Don't suppose you will be in that airport?

I just got back from New England. On the travel day up,my makeup did 18 hrs before it came off. Yesterday was a bit shorter as I was ending here at home. American Airlines allowed 2 checked bags,so they have my preference for next trip. I just know that I can't do a proper long lasting face job in a phone booth,so I don't suggest a quickie transformation...You have to stand up to close range scrutiny from many eyes...you need to look your blendable best...My opinion ,anyway.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    I will by flying through Philly to Detroit Sunday myself. Don't suppose you will be in that airport?
    Oh how I wish, Kimberly. No, I will be flying out of DC very early on Sunday morning.

I am flying in to Dulles in DC today. Arr 4:11. Drab. However, maybe I will have a chance to count the "family restrooms".
    I will fly outbound on the morning of Dec 3rd. Will have 3 hours to kill.

One thing i would suggest is not to underdress when traveling. I did it a couple of times, just wearing thigh tights. The first time, after i passed the x-ray machine, I was sent to a private room and I was thoroughlly frisked. The male guard open my jeans in the front a little bit and checked me ccompletely. He touched my legs firmly from both sides, and it was obvious he noticed my stockings. After he realized what I was wearing, he let me pass. He was very polite, but I was so embarrrased!!!

I thought it was just bad luck, so I tried again. Same result. Since then, I have never unsredressed again through security . I take my thing in my carryon, and change after security...