Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fave crossdressing sit-coms

Fave crossdressing sit-coms

I wanted to list my favorite crossdressing sit-coms, and see if anyone has any to add. In chronological order:

The Ugliest Girl In Town
    Bosom Buddies
    On Our Own
    Ask Harriet

I should probably include MASH, since I love looking at Corporal Klinger. Crossdressing sit-coms never last. People are willing to suspend disbelief long enough for a sketch on the Carol Burnett show or the Flip Wilson show, but they like sit-coms to be closer to reality. Very few men can convincingly play women, and Tom Hanks ain't one of them.

not a sit-com

Uncle Milty in drag. I'd think I want to wear a dress too

for me
    tootsie
    doubtfire
    victor/victoria
    yentil

sorry was getting exicited. those are my movies. mash i think is my best

kids in the hall, hands down!

I liked Bosom Buddies. The problem, of course, is that they simply didn't pass, and the women in the show were, of course, none the wiser. They wouldn't have fooled anyone, but then, it's TV (ooh! A pun!) I liked Ask Harriet a little. They actually tried to make him look feminine. Nice black dress. But he was very large, and didn't really pull it off. I agree with Alan. These things are amusing to most people only for a short period of time, like a side show at a carnival, or a short sketch during a comedy variety show.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    No, no sitcoms, just films, particularly that Australian dress fantasy, the one with the bus and the marvelous dress/material drops.
    and would you go out for the first time as that fella did out of that bus in the town square ?
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Hi, girlz!

Anyone remember The Drew Carey Show?

Richard Chamberlin was wonderful!
    Last edited by Billie1; 01-02-2006 at 12:04 PM.
    I learned the laws of physics by watching Road Runner cartoons.

Do you have that, in a tall?

Rocky Horror Picture Show
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Doubts about Mrs Doubtfire

"Mrs Doubtfire" was humourous with a bit of pathos and had of course a Happy Ending, unlike many real divorces.

It lost out heavily for me as regards the TV/CD elements on one main point of the plot when the young lad walks into the toilet and sees "Mrs Doubtfire" (really his Dad) STANDING to pee. I honestly do not think that any TV or CD would do this, especially when dressed en-femme but would SIT down to pee like a woman does. I haven't stood to pee for decades now and started to sit like a girl when I began wearing panties at the age of 12 as it was far easier and a lot more confortable and satisfactory to do so in the female manner, see my answers on the Threads on this topic.

I know that "Doubtfire" wasn't a "CD-TV" movie but that the plot revolved round him getting to see his kids by pretending to be a Nanny, he wasn't crossdressing for any sexual reasons. However it fell apart for me on this point and I feel that as his being discovered by his son was an important part of the plot another method should have been used for his true identity to be revealed.

There were two CD programmes I remember on British TV. One involves a TV young man being kicked out of the house by his very Butch father and moving to a flat and starting to live his/her life as a woman. I think this was one where a female actress played a young man then playing a woman. The other was a play called "Mary's Wife" about a married couple where the husband dresses as a woman and acts as such when at home.
    Last edited by Helen MC; 01-02-2006 at 12:41 PM.
    [SIZE="5"]Helen[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Montfort Cherub
    There were two CD programmes I remember on British TV. One involves a TV young man being kicked out of the house by his very Butch father and moving to a flat and starting to live his/her life as a woman. I think this was one where a female actress played a young man then playing a woman. The other was a play called "Mary's Wife" about a married couple where the husband dresses as a woman and acts as such when at home.
    That sounds interesting. Are you sure the title was "Mary's Wife"? I find nothing for it on IMDB, and nothing when I Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla
    I liked Ask Harriet a little. They actually tried to make him look feminine. Nice black dress. But he was very large, and didn't really pull it off. I agree with Alan. These things are amusing to most people only for a short period of time, like a side show at a carnival, or a short sketch during a comedy variety show.
    Pretty face, though. And nice legs. I'd love to see the episodes that were never shown on American TV.

Another problem is that the scripts for these shows are usually not very good. They've decided that they have the drag, so they don't need to do anything else to be funny, like write jokes.

A Woman at Heart! Rikki Elisabeth's Avatar

No sit coms.....

The closest one to really being funny [my opinion] was Bosom Buddies. Tootsie as a movie was a fair treatment and story line. I have seen a couple of Law and Orders where they did a good job of projecting issues surrounding crossdressing.

Rikki Elisabeth

Yes, mrs Doubtfire was funny, and they should of had her sitting not standing when peeing. well it's not lady like to stand lol... which I always sit when I need to go
    Love as always Jasminexxxxxxxx

girlie guy
    Corporal Klinger was trying to prove he was crazy to get out of the Army.
    As much as I admired his efforts, he wasn't a very convincing lady.
    Too hairy!

If wearing a dress and high heels means you're crazy, what does that make women? Klinger should've insisted he was a woman instead of constantly insisting he was crazy.

I love Klinger, though.

"How long you been here?"
    "As long as it takes a tough street kid to learn to wear a dress."

"I couldn't help but notice something. You're wearing a dress."
    "I made it, why shouldn't I wear it?"

klinger did have better clothes than hot lips !! but the hair was to much ...

I think that Klinger was ten years ahead of his time. He was a forerunner to the Sixties. In the Sixties, men decided that if being macho meant going off to war and getting killed, they'd rather not be macho, so they started wearing long hair and blousey shirts and beads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Clare Debussy
    Since we're including not-so-sit-com shows, does anyone remember a two episodes of "Medical Center" in September of 1975 in which Robert Reed guest stars as a male doctor who is transitioning to being female. Think of it: over 30 years ago. I was a newly wed, just beginning to secretly borrow my wife's clothing to crossdress. I was mesmerized by such a topic!
    Never saw that one. I remember a similar story on St. Elsewhere, but they never showed the guy in drag. Was Robert Reed in drag?

Going a little farther back, remember "The Ugliest Girl In Town"?

and 2 thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jo_ann
    kids in the hall, hands down!
    same here Jo_ann ..... my fav too as wacky as it gets they took the dressing seriously ...by this I mean they did not mock it ...and used that.. too further value the humour

To me, it's not as much fun if a man just portrays a woman on a show, rather than playing a man who has to crossdress.

How about "On Our Own"? Anyone remember that? Ralph Louis Harris in drag as Aunt Jelcinda?

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    That sounds interesting. Are you sure the title was "Mary's Wife"? I find nothing for it on IMDB, and nothing when I Google it.
    It was a one-off BBC television play in 1980, unfortunately I missed it when it was on and it has (to my knowledge) never been repeated.

I did a google search myself "mary's wife" + BBC and got one hit, which refers to one of the actresses in the play, but that's all I could find (strangely when I did the search again I got no hits!")

I used to watch the English sit-com, "'Allo, 'Allo", religiously throughout the 80's, as it regularly had women and occasionally men in stockings, suspenders and silk lingerie. It was the only thing on TV that showed CDing at that time. Crap comedy, great underwear!

Silver Spoons

One of the best crossdressing episodes I ever saw in a sit-com was when Ricky Schroeder dressed as a girl to be Jason Bateman's "date" at Ricky's own party... Ricky, who was probably about 12 at the time (we're about the same age) looked soo cute as a red-haired girl, although his outfit was a little TOO girly... a pink sort of Victorian style blouse that was beautiful, but the skirt he wore was closer to fuchsia and flounced... Ricky wore a bra that was stuffed pretty good for a young teen girl -- I wanted breasts like that! He also wore white kneesocks rather than stockings or pantyhose, which I was disappointed with... the black Mary Janes were cute though... his makeup was really nice, though...

The premise was basically that sometimes people can take advantage of our good nature... What happened was Ricky's best friend saved him from a cave-in on a hiking trip, and Ricky said he would do anything for him... so the end result was Ricky agreeing to be his friend's date at a party at Ricky's house. So there was poor Ricky looking all dolled up, and some boy gets him to dance with him, and then Ricky has to dance with his friend... and finally Ricky gets fed up and tells his friend off...

I remember watching that episode when I was in sixth or seventh grade and it made a deep impression on me... I recall imagining Ricky as a girl in other outfits and pretty dresses, and dancing with boys... like I wanted to do! When it was on in re-runs, I had my mom watch it with me -- this was after she had found me out about my dressing and started letting me dress up around the house... after we saw it, she even got me a blouse like the one Ricky wore, but I wore it with either a black or khaki skirt, pantyhose and low heels... Looked really good on me too (although I was a brunette)!

Karen
    "Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes..."

Speaking of "Silver Spoons".
    Attached Images Attached Images