Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social Media

Social Media

Now, I'm not asking for your screen names or anything (is it even allowed to post those on here? I'm truly not sure), but does anyone have profiles for their female persona?

I don't have much, being closeted, but I mention in my signature that I have a google+ and skype strictly for my Jenn persona. These are not linked to my male self at all, and just for expressing my female personality. Does anyone else dip into that?

For those of us in the closet (like me! Hey, it's where I keep my best clothes) what steps do you take not to be "outed"? I don't show my face in any pictures, that's the major thing I do.

I hope this subject hasn't been overdone, I apologize if it has.
    Just trying to find my place in the world

Actually I have no male presence out there in cyber land only Karren..... Facebook and other forums....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Sian has an FB presence and her own email - no Skype for her as its real time and she couldn't manage that and the online presence her other side / half has .. two worlds will always remain firmly apart
    Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astair did .. but backwards and in HEELS!

First, it seems a bit dishonest to create social media accounts that are "fake" (creating one as a female when you are a male would be "fake" unless you are living as a female and transitioned). A crossdressing forum is an exception in some ways but we still expect honesty here even though we are using female screen names and posting photos as females.

Second, there are a lot of connections behind the scenes on facebook and other social media sites that we don't know anout or don't understand. Unless you go to a public (library or such) computer for each social media session, there's a really good chance that your female persona and your real self will get tangled together.

It's safest to just not go there.

edit: I do use facebook but as only my male self. Since I've retired and moved away from friends and family, it's a great way to keep up with them. I've also been able to reconnect with friends and co-workers from my youth (and keep track of who is no longer around).
    Last edited by linda allen; 11-07-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Platinum Member
    I am a Luddite in terms of social media...this is pretty much it for any social media expression of my gender identity. I do have an email account and a business presence in LinkedIn which I seldom use. I am constantly amazed, however, by how many skills I've been endorsed for. I wish I had half of them!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I don't facebook, tweet, skype or any of that as either my male self or as Sarah. I know I'm probably in a minority with that but I think a lot of things are dangerous. I read something here awhile back that FB is the most hacked and most dangerous place to put or keep personal information. Even the things that are supposed to private on there turn up in public alll the time. I guess maybe I am just a more private person than that, I don't feel the need to let the whole world know what's going on in my life and I certainly don't the friends of friends and who knows who a lot of the "friends" really are knowing the intimate details of my life.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

Platinum Member
    Hi Jenn, Be careful what you wish for with Social Media sites.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I have profiles on several sites (the work related ones are male the others are not). Best way to not be outed is to never link any information between male and female profiles (including emails-mail and credit cards info).

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    First, it seems a bit dishonest to create social media accounts that are "fake" (creating one as a female when you are a male would be "fake" unless you are living as a female and transitioned). A crossdressing forum is an exception in some ways but we still expect honesty here even though we are using female screen names and posting photos as females.
    This I disagree with somewhat. If your creating a femme account and leading men into thinking your really female then I agree but there is nothing wrong with creating a "fake" account as you prove in your next paragraph.

Second, there are a lot of connections behind the scenes on facebook and other social media sites that we don't know about or don't understand. Unless you go to a public (library or such) computer for each social media session, there's a really good chance that your female persona and your real self will get tangled together.

It's safest to just not go there.
    Facebook is notorious for collecting, storing, and selling personal data. Their privacy policies change almost daily with no notice to the user and claim copyright to everything you put on their site. Their face recognition program will certainly out you if your not very careful but sooner or later, your accounts will collide or they will "suggest" your femme account to one of your friends or family.

Other social sites are just about the same but facebook really takes the cake. Unless you don't care about being outed, or you are out, I suggest skipping on social sites.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

I don't do FB for the reasons already stated here. I do have a Linkedin account in male mode as that is how I present for work and it is useful for getting work.

I have a femme email address and an account on FB. I recently got more into it, but now I wonder if I should since FB just announced a change in their rules on who can see what. Fortunately I try to keep any info to less than the bare minimum.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Christie definitely has an email account. How else can I get notice about all those great sales?

This forum is the only scocial media I am involved with at all. I used to have a my space years ago
    And it was fun but I deleted it as part of a purge. And never felt the need to go back.
    I only started with my space , I was looking for every thing this forum provides. So I don't really need any other social media

I am not social at all.
    This is the closest I come to social media.
    Too many other commitments
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Christie ann View Post
    Christie definitely has an email account. How else can I get notice about all those great sales?
    Yep ! me too.....................Debra

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Of course! Sherry is a media darling and has her own FB page. She has over 1000 Friends on hers.

I have 30 on mine!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

No social net work for me to easy for it to get out to the wrong people and then you are outed . I don't want to play in that sand box! Play safe

Shirley Anne has an email address and thats it, I dont use any of the social media sites in either male or female mode.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have a femme FB page and it doesn't leak over to my male FB page after I blocked HIM from my girl page.
    Use different browsers for each.
    Its not being fake at all I'm still me. 99% of Tracii's FB friends know she is a CD so what s the problem?
    If I get a FR from a guy I just delete it.

i have a facebook page. i rarely post on it but i check it almost daily if you wanna add me, i am Jennifer Renee E on there
    <3 Jenny

and yet, today, I told everyone on my male page to go to Lori's page... You suppose that was a wrong move?

Unless someone really works at it, no one really cares what your FB page is about. You all act like there are secret police out there waiting to catch you , put you under a 100 watt bulb and grill you into admission. Three years with two separate pages and ONE person figured it out in all that time. And I didn't even try to hide it, often talking to myself
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I refuse to have a social media site because there is too great a chance of being discovered by those I wish to keep out of the loop. Twice Ive had members here try to friend me on Facebook and both times I received calls from business associates asking me what that was all about. If you want to be discovered the odds go way up with these sites.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Sounds like nosy business associates to me.
    I've had many from here friend me on my male FB and maybe one person asked me, I said they were friends whats the big deal?
    Act like its nothing and it will be a non event.Try to hide and lie about it and you deff look guilty.
    I have an old friend from another site who is TS friend me and another friend asked " was that person once a dude and had a sex change?" I said yeah so what she is a great person and I think the world of her.
    The response OK I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by siantv2003 View Post
    Sian has an FB presence and her own email - no Skype for her as its real time and she couldn't manage that and the online presence her other side / half has .. two worlds will always remain firmly apart
    I too have a FB account and gmail account in only Phylis' name. I have a private gmail account and also an art account (pawstudios) on gmail. I don't want to mix personas. I'm thinking of doing a separate art account for Phylis also.

First, it seems a bit dishonest to create social media accounts that are "fake" (creating one as a female when you are a male would be "fake" unless you are living as a female and transitioned).
    In my facebook account I immediately state that I am a crossdresser. I also look at it that when I am on Phylis' facebook account, that is the female side of me that has anything to do with anything or anyone on facebook. I would consider that it was fake only if I was a fake crossdresser. IMHO, sorry.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 11-08-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Merged posts into one, you can edit your previous post when adding things
    If you wake up in the morning; See a sunrise; You name is not in the obituaries (long story); You see a sunset; Then its a good day. All the rest is superfluous B.S. (Bad Science).

I have an ear you can bend and a shoulder you can cry on.

I'm working on my Ph.D. in "Alternative Wardrobe Explorations"

Yeah...am on FB and keep the two lives separated. Account and privacy settings are regularly monitored and controlled as are the requests that are accepted. I will admit that to some it may seem like hypocrisy to be on a social networking site and then limit access and control but to each his/her own, right? Friends/girls from here whom I trust obviously have full access but then when you get people sending you pics of their junk and stuff, they get blocked.

So if you're careful it is rather safe but as with all thing on the internet, once its out there...

Sonia
    Sonia now has a flickr stream...can she interest you to hop over and take a peek?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/soniacd/
    She's also on Facebook now...and she'd like very much to be your friend
    http://www.facebook.com/sonia.cd1