Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The art museum is a safe place

The art museum is a safe place

Lot of threads on here about where is a safe place to go out, encountering another CD at the art museum yesterday reminds me that I've always found big-city museums very safe places to be dressed, be out in the world, and blend in. Big city art museums often attract a singles crowd on Sunday afternoons and free evenings, the Metropolitan and the Modern in NYC do for sure, you can dress casually or a little bit elegantly. Nobody will bother you, though people can and do strike up a soft conversation over the painting you're both looking at.

Have you had fun stepping out at the art museum? Please do share.

I volunteer at my local art gallery (only a small town one) and while I've not dressed there or told anyone about that side of me I have on occasions noticed other CDs in the gallery, passing through and wandering round. I always think it's nice that people feel comfortable there.

I am familiar with the NY Museum of Modern Art.
    They have a wonderful catalog of 35 mm films stored there.
    Yes singles do abound in museums and i have seen it at the Modern.
    No CD'ers though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Escaping from the closet Carla Stevens's Avatar
    A few weeks ago I had a trip out dressed to the Museum of Liverpool to have a look around the April Ashley exhibit.
    It was strange as I was the only Trans-Girl there that I could see & there were plenty of people wandering about looking at the exhibit.
    I certainly managed to 'blend in' & didn't draw any odd stares or comments.
    “I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a WOMAN in it.” Marilyn Monroe

The views & opinions expressed in the above post are those of the author.
    Anyone acting on any information contained within the post does so entirely at their own risk.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

For one thing, the are museum has a lot of security guards, cameras and everything....so if anyone bothers you there should be help close by. At the same time, though, depending on local laws you might want to be extra cautious say using restrooms because, well... there are a lot of security guards who might not be very well trained. I tend to think 'artsy' type places are more accepting.
    Chickie

Well I have been to the Franklin and the natural science museum in Philly when I was a little younger and found that almost all the people encountered were very intelligent and therefore more accepting of me and my way of life.I can recall the loud clicking of my heels on the tile and marble floors.I tried to avoid the" school trips " kids can be mean and very open with their opinions.It's been a long time since I ventured out,but maybe some day when life slows down.I do believe that anywhere a more intelligent crowd is the more accepting the people.Although snobs are a pain in the rear-end.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Yes, I agree with you. I love museums, I love being out in the real world, and I love interfacing with others whenever possible. Museums are a great place to do that and very safe too.

The idea is to be out! I've been contemplating the idea of going to some museums here. We have a lot of museums were I live. Just hope no one will bother me.

Platinum Member
    Very much so. I've visited a couple here in Houston en femme and had no issues and great responses from the other guests and staff.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I tend to visit the Winnipeg Art Gallery crossdressed at the least once a year and I do suggest it (and all other museums) as an initial public outing for local crossdressers.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    This is a good idea! I've never visited the Denver Art Museum...it might be a good idea to do so as Amy. After that, possibly a weekend outing with other ladies?

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

We have a beautiful art museum in Milwaukee. It sits on the shore of Lake Michigan and is housed in two distinct but interconnected buildings. The first building(the oldre of the two) was designrd by Eero Saarinen and the second building by Santiago Calatrava each building a work of art in itself. The art museum is considered a gateway to the numreous events and attractions on our beautiful lakefront. I have visited the art museum en femme on several occasions and was always treated with utmost respect and dignity.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

yes, really enjoyed the art galleries and museums, not many drunk or unsociable types hang out there
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

The Judy Chicago Dinner Party, a monumental work honoring women, lives at the Brooklyn Museum, a terrific and very moving venue to visit en femme.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Every year for Diva Las Vegas I'm hostess for at least one museum tour. Usually we go to the Bellagio Fine Arts Museum where we've seen a number of great exhibits. We've also been to the Neon Museum where they have been saving the electric signs from Las Vegas history, the Erotic Heratige Museum and the Atomic Testing Museum. All of them have been very interesting and only once, at the Neon, were there any problems and that was the use of a less than preferred pronoun by the guide. The staff at all the museums have been respectful and willing to engage in conversation about the exhibits. All the other patrons have been respectful as well. Go, get some art!
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

You are correct Jackie, but almost anywhere we go with dignity is a "safe" place IMHO!

I love art and art museums. I frequent the SFMOMA which is unfortunately closed for renovations, the deYoung Museum, and the Crocker here in Sacramento. I have had nothing but positive experiences and I think a part of that is artistic people are generally more open minded about things.

Deb
    Debby

I've been to museums a number of times presenting fully as female and it has never been a problem. I like to be able to do things I would do when I'm in male mode and this is one of them. Also , you can dress up a little at an art museum, which is nice.

Michaella

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles View Post
    Every year for Diva Las Vegas I'm hostess for at least one museum tour. Usually we go to the Bellagio Fine Arts Museum where we've seen a number of great exhibits. We've also been to the Neon Museum where they have been saving the electric signs from Las Vegas history, the Erotic Heratige Museum and the Atomic Testing Museum. All of them have been very interesting and only once, at the Neon, were there any problems and that was the use of a less than preferred pronoun by the guide. The staff at all the museums have been respectful and willing to engage in conversation about the exhibits. All the other patrons have been respectful as well. Go, get some art!
    Wow, thanks Sarah. I was just getting ready to post that there's just not that much culture here in Las Vegs and then I read your post. I guess I'v been spoiled by the galleries back in DC and never realized that the culture scene here is just different. I'm sure if I look around there's probably a tatoo and boob job museum.
    Last edited by CarlaWestin; 11-11-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: sp
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Once I thought I would try going out to a museum. One of my early outings, it was. I got there and there were two school buses parked out front and a line of kids (all staring) just inside the entrance. I walked in trying to hold it together only to be told that they didn't open for another 15 minutes. I left there and went to the mall or Cato or whatever. Maybe I should try it again.

Definitely recommend museums.... I go to the one in the big city about once a month. The 8 bucks or so for admission are well worth the peace and quiet. Okay, I'll be click clacking with the heels, but by going when they just open the crowds are usually non-existent.

Great place in both cold or warm weather...

Highly recommended....

Renne.....

I've been to the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto in jeans a T with a bra and my hair down, and jewellery and had no problems. As Jackie7 found people do talk to you and there really aren't that many snobs.
    Jilmac I took a look at the Milwaukee museum on line and the architecture is quite interesting. Hope to get there someday only been to Waukesha in your state.

hugs rita
    Dressing is not a choice.

Its a passion.

OMG! I spent today in DC at the Mall and Museums with family and all I could think about was how much better it would have been en femme. Felt the same thing riding the Metro yesterday. I hope I have another opportunity to return to the DC area on business again. I will definitely take advantage of it and visit the Museums dressed next time.

Banned Read only
    I just went to the Women's Fine Art Museum in DC on Veteran's Day with a CD friend, Ann. We had no issues at all during the entire visit to include lunch. The volunteers and staff were very informative and gracious. I never felt as if we were getting odd looks. As a bonus, the museum allowed non-flash photography so I took lots of photos of her for her to add to her private collection and she took a few of me too.

Philadelphia is cool and progressive. I have met quite a few folks from Rennaissance http://www.ren.org/
    I love Philly Cheese steaks too!
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 11-20-2013 at 12:12 AM.

I've lived in the DC area my whole life and have been to the Smithsonian and other museums many times -- en drab. In the past few years Rhonda has blossomed and I've gone to several museums en femme. Never a problem from staff. Have been totally ignored by large groups of kids and families. It is a very enjoyable experience, solo or with friends.

As a great plus, we're fortunate in DC to have a very progressive potty law that allows one to freely use the restroom matching your presentation. The museums are especially safe in this regard because the security guards are versed in the law and their presence pretty much assures you won't be hassled, in the museum in general, and when nature calls.

For those who are timid about getting out, it's mostly in your mind. If your presentation as a woman is reasonable, you should be good to go. As others here have often said, walk with pride and your head up. Use flowing movements and don't go clomping around like we do as guys. If you look at people as you go, they are unlikely to stare because the combination of your presentation, apparent confidence, stride, demeanor, etc will confuse any sense they may have that you're a guy in a dress. I work to minimize my guy features and disguise the body shape. Combine that with everything else womanly and you can freely go about enjoying yourself at cultural venues, or anywhere else for that matter.

Rhonda

(Hi, Beth. Welcome to the forum)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!