Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manly arts

Manly arts

Just as some activities are traditionally considered female or womanly, some also reside mostly in the male sphere. This is not to say that women don't do them, but even in this enlightened age they do remain predominantly male. For example, mechanical work on cars, cabinetmaking, carpentry, hunting. So the question is, does your interest in cross dressing affect your interest in these pursuits? Do you avoid them because of their maleness, or perhaps do you embrace them for relief from gender issues?

I am an amateur woodworker, I was introduced to the craft by my grandfather, I've always kept a fully equipped furniture/cabinet workshop, and now that I am retired I spend quite a bit of time there. I don't wear dresses or heels into the workshop, but I usually do underdress including breast forms. And while I also know how to sew, if given the choice I'd make a table or cabinet before trying to make a dress or blouse.

What's your experience?

I've never been good at nor have I enjoyed "manly arts" like woodworking, auto repair, house repair, etc. When I do attempt them, the results are shoddy and the air is thick with my swearing.

On the other hand, I'm also not too good at "womanly arts" like sewing, cooking, etc. I can cook tolerably well if I follow a recipe religiously, but I don't really enjoy it.

I am that prized third gender: Completely lazy!

No, as far as I know CD'ing doesn't affect my other interests in a negative way and I sure as hell don't deliberately avoid doing manly things, save for sports perhaps, but I'm just not really into that. I do plenty of 'manly' (or rather boyish/geeky) things.

I wear jeans and a top also a wig when working around the house and doing manly tasks.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

my manly art is auto repair

Hope you don't mind if a GG answers.

I don't know about manly or womanly arts. But, I sew only for repair (buttons mostly since my sewing machine has been broken for years), I do cook quite a bit (I love it), and I am rather handy around the house (patching walls, minor electrical & plumbing work, tiling, refinishing wood floors and furniture, etc). I don't like working on car engines but I do enjoy detailing my car. I enjoy mowing the lawn on my tractor. I also draw and paint. And I love any type of music. And I use my laptop to research anything you can think of, more than going to the library (). Oh ... and i love, love, love the outdoors: hiking, bike riding, camping although I haven't for quite a while, skiing although it's been a while since I did that too. And I enjoy rousing political and philosophical discussions. I used to love reading although I seem to have lost the focus. I do need to get back into it. I enjoy off-beat movies, the kind you can get your teeth into. Oh, and doing housework is rather a utilitarian sort of thing, like brushing my teeth.

Maybe I'm agender?

Gosh, this sounds like a profile on a dating site!
    Reine

Hi Jackie, Whatever I do, whether considered a "male" or "female" activity, I do it because it needs to be done. Gender doesn't usually enter into it per se Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I fix cars, build things, and work with wood
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I don't avoid doing guy or girl things because of my gender presentation on that day.
    I love to shoot and hunt so I do it in both modes.I love to shop for shoes and clothes for Tracii and do it in both modes.
    Needed parts for a guitar project I was working on yesterday and ended up at the Ace hardware not giving any thought to the fact I was in girl mode.

Jackie, I work on cars professionally, Like camping although don't get to do it much these days, I work on the house, roofing, plumbing, electrical. I mow and trim because it has to be done and I like the result. As I dress more I am doing more cooking, laundry, general housekeeping things, so maybe the "manly" things are somewhat deminished. Just me, Bria

I'm a Lumberjack & I'm OK
    I work with wood! I buy the timber, cut the trees down, skid them out, saw them on my sawmill, dry the wood, and build things from a barn to tables. Gee that sounds a little like the little red hen and baking bread story.

I also farm, do any and all repair on the house and cars that does not require special tools or special knowledge I don't have.

I also try to keep up with cleaning the house, at least part of the laundry, and I love to cook.

Granted the wood and farming part are traditional "manly" things to do, that has nothing to do with why I do them. I just enjoy doing them and I'm reasonably good at them.

Watching sports (THE "manly" thing to do in our society today) is NOT on my list of things to do. I get bored with it mostly. I'd play softball, tennis, or volleyball, but my arthritis limits that.

I learned to do automotive & household repair tasks because that was what was expected of my gender. In the world of my upbringing a man who couldn't do these things wasn't much of a man.

I still do them since it is what society expects of me.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Even though I dress full time now I pretty well do everything for myself! I suppose it's the tomboy in me! If the truck is broke I fix it! If the house is broke I fix it! I have even been known to take out the trash from time to time!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post

Maybe I'm agender?

Gosh, this sounds like a profile on a dating site!
    Omg, where have you been all my life. Lol

Ok, sorry. On a serious note. I dont think sex or gender has anything to do with what we find interesting as far as arts or hobbies. I know plenty of ggs who can hunt and do the outdoorsie stuff just as well or maybe even better than alot of men. And we men (well on the outside) can cook clean and sew right along side with the girls. Its just what we do. Being who I am, undefined as tg or cd, has never made me think any different about my hobbies.
    Erica

Hmmmmmmmm, Lets see! I take the kids hunting and fishing, and of course I like the outdoors. I maintain my own cars, truck, and boat! I do all my own yard work except for my office. And I am presently taking a bathroom down to the studs due to wood root from faulty plumbing!! Let's just say I am learning how well they built homes in the 1940's! They did not use my drywall back then, they used plaster on wire mesh which is really 1" concrete! It's really kickin my buttock!!
    Don't take life to seriously, No one gets out alive!!

Wore a skirt most of today. Going out looking for Bambi (not the movie) tomorrow.

I'm really good at sitting down and watching football on Sunday. Does that count?

I don't think my interests are affected by my crossdressing but my crossdressing does enhance some of my favorite activities. I have always liked to go shopping but before I was more accepting of myself it was more of the traditional get in, get what I need, get out where as now I could shop all day! I still love the outdoors and exercise and would choose to go fishing over most other activities. When I can wear my female workout clothes I feel motivated enough to run a marathon. I can't really think of anything that I avoid more because I dress. I hate getting greasy so I never work on cars and I am not motivated to do much home improving, though I am a neat freak and I constantly clean the house - dressed or not!

Danni
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

Platinum Member
    Hi Jackie, I've became very proficient in many manly skills, Automotive, welding, woodworking, metal working, machinist,
    building & construction, plant maintenance, master electrician, rigging & lifting just to name a few.

On the other side cooking, sewing and dressing to the nines.

You are never too old to learn something new.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Talking

Another GG here; my list of skills and accomplishments is not as impressive as Reine but I agree that I do cross traditional gender lines sometimes. When I was married and living in a single family home, I mowed the lawn and shoveled snow, and this summer I helped my SO reset edging around his trees. I have done some room painting and minor household repair. I am a runner and a gym rat. I have a teen son who still can't gross me out. I have been the head of my household for all but 7 years of my adult life.

On the other hand, one of the things I truly value about my SO is that he is good at fixing things, knows about cars, and enjoys yard work. I am totally ok with cleaning, and I thoroughly enjoy cooking. I'm not a sewer or crafter though.

On a side note, it's refreshing and comforting to read posts from those of you CDs who are firmly planted in being a guy; especially the posts about being husbandish, boyfriendish, and fatherly. I'm still a newbie SO to a CD, and there's always a tiny little concern in the back of my mind that my guy might want to transition one day. Your posts reassure me that some guys are happy being guys....and like to throw on a skirt every so often.

Goes without saying (but I will) that I support everyone's right to live their own authentic life.
    Susan GG

Quote Originally Posted by michelle45 View Post
    Let's just say I am learning how well they built homes in the 1940's! They did not use my drywall back then, they used plaster on wire mesh which is really 1" concrete! It's really kickin my buttock!!
    Tell me about it! lol I remodeled my SOs bathroom some months ago. We demolished one of the plaster walls, to replace with drywall. Gosh that was a chore!
    Reine

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Manly skills used for fem results!

I'm a tinkerer like my dad was. Lite wood working, metal forming, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, I do it all. Plus, I used to make surf boards so I'm familiar with mixing chemicals, resins and silicone. When I began dressing, I made a number of breast forms out of all sorts of things. Also, my own suction devices for breast expansion.

I spend a lot of time in my shop now. Making and repairing masks, prosthesis, and various foam hip and butt pads. I sew enuff to modify and repair Sherry's clothing items. But, I sew like a man!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Living in CD Heaven Helen Grandeis's Avatar
    The gentlemanly arts used to be things like horsemanship, fencing, boxing, ball room dancing.
    Robert Heinlein in the Notebooks of Lazarus Long had a detailed list of things that included delivering a baby and conning a ship.
    Although woman and man can learn to do all the same biology independent tasks, the order of neuron firing observed in brain scans is often gender unique.
    Best Wishes for Personal Peace & Happiness
    -
    Helen Grandeis

Well let's see....I've been working on cars since I was 12 years old....so that makes it "OMG I'm 63....51 years"...I'm not a certified auto mechanic but I do know my way around them. I'm an engineer, mechanical type, have worked on, designed, modified them. I can do light electrical, plumbing, carpentry, yard work, and just about fix anything. I'm a model builder from plastic scale models to radio control cars, boats, airplanes, and I'm currently a model railroader HO scale. So I guess I'm manly....but I still like the look and feel of something feminine and pretty. BTW when I was in business for myself doing equipment repair, installation and modification my wife worked with me and was one of the best mechanics I've had the pleasure to work with.

Gone to live my life
    Can't say I have given up the "manly arts" in favor of dressing because the things I need to do which I typically did "en boy" still have to be done. I normally dress male but this is for practicality over aesthetics. Clearing brush with a chain saw in femme cloths and a wig would be difficult, the same would hold true for major renovation projects around the house. But day to day handyman/woman jobs I have done en femme. Not much of a mechanic so Isha normally takes the car to a licensed mechanic.

my true passion "computer modding" has been done both en femme and en boy. I also love to cook and have for most of my adult life and do so en femme and en boy depending on how I am presenting that day. I like to shoot (not hunt - I know, odd given my past occupation) and do belong to a local range. Have not gone down with my handgun "en femme" but am seriously thinking about it. A part of me would like to see the reaction of some of these 6 foot plus behemoths getting outshot but 5'6" gal in a skirt and heels - and believe me I would make the outfit as girly as possible just for the added effect.

Hugs

Isha
    Last edited by Marcelle; 11-14-2013 at 06:05 AM.