Thread: Planning Ahead

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

Planning Ahead

I just scheduled a mid-January surgery for an ear problem that needs to be addressed before the complications get too serious. Since my wife passed away last spring there's no one in the family who knows about my crossdressing. I don't know how long the recovery will be (always 4-6 weeks, right?), but it's likely I'll have balance issues, headaches and maybe some temporary facial paralysis. This means when I get home from the hospital I'll probably be getting help that may even include getting things for me to wear out of the closet. That walk-in closet has slowly been turning into 75% Sarah and 25% the guy. I've been packing up the things that don't fit or I know I'm not going to be wearing and donating them, but there is still a lot I want to hang on to.

So now I have just about 2 months to sort, pack and store all my pretty stuff, makeup, jewelry, wigs, shoes etc. so when the family comes to help I don't get outted. I'm not sure how long it will be before I'll be both ready and able to dress again, so the storage may be for a couple of weeks or maybe even months. Any recommendations for me as I start in on this project? Suggestions on any part of the process are welcome.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Banned Read only
    I would make sure everything is clean, preferably dry-cleaned so your clothes end up hung in protective bags. Then get a few wardrobe boxes from a moving store like U-haul and pack everything up in them.If you think your family would be curious about the boxes, just say that they are christmas decorations.

Platinum Member
    No storage advice...just sorry to hear about your medical issue. Hope all turns out well in the end.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Gold Member
    Yes. Invite a friend to come stay for a day without any other outside help.

Moth balls and plastic sleeving are order of the day, clean everything first.
    Body odour can go through everything and make it smell stale.
    I hope you do not need all the preparation you are going through.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

The main thing I hope you have a speedy recovery! I'm in a similar situation! I have family members and nurses coming in every day to help me! The only different is I dress full time! The ones that can't handle it don't need to come back! Good luck and wishing the best for you!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I'm starting to get things cleaned up, keeping an eye on my next few chances to get out and will continue to sort and read all the different cleaning instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Yes. Invite a friend to come stay for a day without any other outside help.
    I'll have to see if I have any friends who won't be shocked or offended, not my my clothes closet, but by my messy basement where everything will end up. I'd better concentrate on a spot down there for things while I can.
    Sarah

What about other closets in your home? You could put the clothes in those. There's no reason for anyone to be snooping around in other rooms, right?
    GG married to a CDer

Quote Originally Posted by binx View Post
    What about other closets in your home? You could put the clothes in those. There's no reason for anyone to be snooping around in other rooms, right?
    Binx, I'd love it if that were an option. My kids and grandkids feel very comfortable wandering just about anywhere in the house. Besides, there isn't enough room in those closets anyway. I really have too much stuff.
    Sarah

I HATE PACKING! And just for that reason alone I would be considering an extended stay hotel for a month

Aren't there storage units near you? Usually cost around $55 a month. As suggested pick up some wardrobe and other sized boxes, rent a U-Haul for around $25 for the day and once you get your locker just wheel them in. Finished. Yeah, need packing tape too.
    Good luck and have fast recovery.
    Julie