Thread: Yay! My progress update!

Yay! My progress update!

...Just kidding... I know it won't be so fun. I have been on estradiol 2mg and spironolactone 100mg for a month now... And I'm starting to see the effects. Different body odors, softer skin, rounder butt, less sex drive and more calm, and now my nipples are getting sore. I haven't been getting any mood swings, which is good. I actually feel my mood was less stable before I started (I had some depressive moments about two days a week or so, I don't now).

So far, things have been going well. I plan on switching to 4mg estradiol and 200mg spironolactone, which is closer to the average dosage, and should increase the effects. I don't plan on stopping for the moment. My self-prescribed hormone adventure is going O.K. so far.

The only thing is that I might have to wait before I switch to 200mg spiro. I tried it for a few days and while 100mg spiro has barely any side effects, 200mg does make me get tired quicker, and effectively less productive during my day. I believe this is due to the fact that spironolactone lowers blood pressure.
    Last edited by Nyx; 01-01-2006 at 04:42 AM.

Departed
    Your age is probably why you're having reactions so quickly. The older you start the less effective the meds.

Before you increase the doseages do yourself a favor and have a blood test done. If you have health insurance you can be covered if you just go in for a physical. A thorough physical always includes a blood test. Ask your doctor to include tests for FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), estradiol and testosterone. For testosterone normal males range from 241-827, in females it's 20-76. Estradiol in females range from 11-212 (follicular phase), 18-480 (mid cycle), < or = to 247 (luteal phase); in males it's 13-54. FSH ranges for females are 2.5-10.2 (fp), 1.6-18.6 (mc) and 1.5-9.1 (lp). In males 13-70 years of age it's from 1.4-18.1.

They should do a liver function test but it wouldn't hurt to ask. It's very important to know you aren't damaging your liver and that your liver is healthy enough to handle the meds. You might want to consider transdermal or injections. As long as there's no skin irritation transdermal meds are the best because they give an even dose 24/7 and don't pass through the liver and you don't have to stick yourself with a needle. It's also nice not to have to remember to take your meds every day. Just change the patch twice a week.

If you have the blood test done at least you'll know where you are and what the effects of the meds you are taking are. It will also tell you where you need to go regarding increasing the doseages. I was prescribed 1mg the first two weeks then increasing by 1mg every two weeks after that until I reached 4mg/day. I was also on 25mg spiro that entire time. I revisited the doctor after two months. He forgot to have them test testosterone on my initial visit so I have no comparison but my level after two months was 362. My estradiol level went from 54 to 57, practically no effect at all. I also had no physical signs of the meds working.He increased the levels to 6mg estradiol and 50mg spiro and scheduled another visit in three months. I stopped taking the meds when I realized the impact my transitioning was having on my kids. So I cancelled the last visit.

All the meds he prescribed were oral. He was totally baffled I had realized no effects from the meds after two months. He said he had never seen anything like it.

I do know my doctor was very cautious with the spiro. He felt spiro could cause more problems than estradiol. So be careful with bumping up from 100mg to 200mg. You want to live a long and healthy life. That way you can enjoy the results of your transition should you take that path.

Well, I will be trying again to find a good therapist during the next weeks. Until then I don't have access to prescribed hormones or injections. Hopefully the fact that I am already on hormones will make them consider my case more seriously.

I agree with you about spiro. I find its effects are much more straining on the system than estradiol. I'm hoping that once I switch to 4mg estradiol, it won't be necessary to take as much spiro because of the testosterone reducing effect of estrogen (which is not as powerful as spironolactone).

Departed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx
    Well, I will be trying again to find a good therapist during the next weeks. Until then I don't have access to prescribed hormones or injections. Hopefully the fact that I am already on hormones will make them consider my case more seriously.

I agree with you about spiro. I find its effects are much more straining on the system than estradiol. I'm hoping that once I switch to 4mg estradiol, it won't be necessary to take as much spiro because of the testosterone reducing effect of estrogen (which is not as powerful as spironolactone).
    I self prescribed Estraderm 100 patches (but no anti-androgens) about a year before starting therapy and seeking a doctor's help in transitioning. I did it for two months then ran out. It took a month to get a new shipment. I did it for three more months before I asked myself, "What the hell are you doing?"

I realized some feminization from that, a lot more than I saw with the doctor's program. During the first visit I told him this but he said, "That won't do anything". Well, it did a lot more than the orals he prescribed! During the first physical exam he told me I had breast tissue on one side but not the other. On the second visit he saw no changes.

Anyway, what I'm saying is you can get physical as well as mental feminization from estradiol alone.

As far as getting them from a doctor I have read several times that the oath doctors take includes preventing would-be patients from doing damage to themselves and if you tell your doctor you are self-prescribing he is obligated by this oath to help you. That doesn't mean all doctors will, just that those who do can justify treating you w/o following the SOC because they feel you may be hurting yourself. It's a loophole those who don't want or can't afford therapy can use. What's most important is your health. If you find this isn't for you you just stop. But if it's something you find you want to do it's better to make sure you do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie

As far as getting them from a doctor I have read several times that the oath doctors take includes preventing would-be patients from doing damage to themselves and if you tell your doctor you are self-prescribing he is obligated by this oath to help you. That doesn't mean all doctors will, just that those who do can justify treating you w/o following the SOC because they feel you may be hurting yourself. It's a loophole those who don't want or can't afford therapy can use. What's most important is your health. If you find this isn't for you you just stop. But if it's something you find you want to do it's better to make sure you do it right.
    Doctor's are no longer obligated to take the oath. They can if they wish, but assume the one you're seeing has taken it at your peril.
    My first book, The Shipping Mistake, has been published. It's about all my pre-op years, since I was a child.

It is available for purchase at the following links online:

Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Lulu (the printer)

You can download a free preview by following any of the book links at Lulu

Departed

Personally, I feel the SOC doesn't need to be followed for HRT. The effects of HRT are not that substantial to require a therapist's letter who may or may not be qualified to recognize gender identity problems. Add to that the fact you don't have to see that therapist any particular amount of sessions, just that three months has to pass. It's kind of a lame requirement as written.

FFS requires no such letter and is far more drastic than HRT when it comes to physical changes and is not reversible. Plus it's surgery and that means other risks are involved.

I went to probably twenty sessions at a cost of $75.00/session before asking for the HRT letter. She didn't even ask me if I was sure I wanted to do this! That was the first thing I expected to hear out of her mouth. She just told me there was $50.00 charge for the letter. When we discussed SRS, which requires letters from two therapists, she told me she'd set up an appointment with another therapist and something like 'it's just routine, she'll ask you some questions then write you the letter'. No problem! This is pretty standard stuff from talking to others who have gone this route. It's a system that is seriously flawed and the therapists are getting rich off it.

By eliminating the HRT requirements there would be a greater tendency to seek the aid of a doctor when choosing HRT. Improperly prescribed medications are far more dangerous than a misdiagnosed GID.

I am interested in hearing about your results as they come. I will probably be about the same if not a little faster as I have no testosterone to contend with. I do not want to move to fast though... for my own good!

I start injectable HRT in med February.

Mandy
    [SIZE="4"]My life in a Quote[/SIZE]
    "I don't like sand. It's coarse, rough, irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Everything’s soft and smooth."
    [SIZE="1"]—Anakin to Padmé - Star Wars - Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones[/SIZE]

Occupying my own end of the gender spectra...

Quote Originally Posted by MandyTS
    I am interested in hearing about your results as they come. I will probably be about the same if not a little faster as I have no testosterone to contend with. I do not want to move to fast though... for my own good!

I start injectable HRT in med February.

Mandy
    I don't think testosterone really stops the effects of estrogen, at least not in the area of breast growth. It's just that having no testosterone helps the feminization process.

So far my nipples just got a little more sensitive and softer.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie
    [/COLOR][/FONT]I went to probably twenty sessions at a cost of $75.00/session before asking for the HRT letter. She didn't even ask me if I was sure I wanted to do this! That was the first thing I expected to hear out of her mouth. She just told me there was $50.00 charge for the letter. When we discussed SRS, which requires letters from two therapists, she told me she'd set up an appointment with another therapist and something like 'it's just routine, she'll ask you some questions then write you the letter'. No problem! This is pretty standard stuff from talking to others who have gone this route. It's a system that is seriously flawed and the therapists are getting rich off it.
    Yes it is disappointing to hear about this. I had a good friend who was a doctor but he gave it up after three years of practice because he was disillusioned about medical practices. He talked about it being like an industrial plant just processing patients and making little effort to perform any standard of care. He told me horror stories of mis-diagnosis and how half the time doctors were just guessing what was wrong with patients, prescribing the wrong medication and just observing what happens. If nothing improved then they would guess again and try other drugs until either they got lucky or the patient died. He was depressed about how unprofessional many in the medical professional actually are. But considering their workload this should not be surprising.

We want to believe those in white coats are super professional but they are as human as anyone else and often are just interested in processing patients and making money.