Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate the term "crossdresser"

I am a "happydresser" ...................Debra

I prefer ''Gay Transvestite'' than crossdresser for myself because it sounds more cool...I really don't care about connotation

The name "crossdresser" works for me. It's just a word!

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I actually like the term.... simple and descriptive.... way better than Effing Pervert! lol.
    Yes, I could think of many names that are way worse. I do agree that many words do not have the kind of connotation that paint us in a good light. So, I guess we will have to continue to "dress with style" and do our best to keep a low profile.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

I always preferred tv, myself.

Deedee(tv)
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

I have always hated the terms crossdressing and transvestite because they have such negative connotations associated and they just shout out taboo. I prefer the term Crossover which is the term I came up with for my gender blending fashion page on Polyvore. It describes blending lines but doesnt have such a negative tone to it.
    The actual definition means:
    1. a point or place of crossing from one side to the other.
    2. the process of achieving success in a different field or style

However, it cant really be used to describe a person so much as a style. Like, I cant say...Yeah, Im a crossover...well, I guess you can. Personally, I would just say that I have adopted the Crossover style and leave it at that. Let people make of it what they may.

Thats my

Banned Read only
    I understand why someone may not like the term. Definitions and connotations change over the years. Being called a "cross dresser" now does not bother me at all. Being labeled a "cross dresser" in the 1950's, 1960's and even 1970's would have bothered me. Back then it meant I was something I was not. Back then if you were gay you hid in the closet. If you were a cross dresser you hid in the closet in the basement.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I like the term "Crossdresser" just fine. About the least offensive term for me and what I do that I can think of. T-girl is okay too. I love labels. They make communicating so much easier.

I like people who hate labels. It's fun to watch them try to describe stuff without using them!

"Crossdresser" is fine within our community, where we understand what it means. Outside of our community I prefer the umbrella term "trangendered" since the media often trivializes the word "crossdresser."
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Citara View Post
    the term I hate more than crossdresser is when they use the word transvestite.
    I agree! Hate the word!

Sara x

The word crossdresser was created by a crossdresser (Virginia Prince) to replace transvestite, because of the connotations of the latter. "Crossdresser" still has far far fewer negative connotations.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

I don't hate the term and how would we have found this place without it? I also like it better than transvestite just because it's easier to spell!
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRamsey View Post
    i prefered to be called a sissy boy
    Me too! When im dressed in women's clothing, I am dressing across that male/female threshold. Crossdresser fits the act to a "T" (pun not intended).
    But like mike, I like "Sissyboy"

Quote Originally Posted by alisa63 View Post
    Guys wearing guys clothes aren't called "straight dressers" so why should I/we be labeled for what feels right to me as an individual?
    Nothing wrong with "ranting" Guy's wearing feminine clothing aren't always called "straight dressers" either..I don't mind the word cross dresser and I understand your rant because on the other side of the spectrum there are some who don't like to be called "trans gender"...But I am use to it ,call me what you want ..
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

Personally, I don't care what term is applied to me. If I had a choice, it would be "complete human". We all, even if we refuse to admit it, have both feminine and masculine attributes. Some choose to repress the opposite role into which they were born, while others embrace both roles to which they are naturally inclined. Thousands of years of history and genetics have assigned roles to men and women, which in olden times, were somewhat necessary to compliment each other. Men, being bigger and stonger, hunted and gathered. Women, being smaller and child bearing, were inclined to be passive and caring. The days of old, not being so applicable today, have blurred the "man-woman" lines and allow us "complete humans" to explore both sides of our identities. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad. But, we have basically evolved to a point where gender compliance is not as important or necessary as it once was. Geesh...am I babbling or what??? Too sum it up, I like femme regardless of the plumbing!
    Last edited by JennyLynn; 11-24-2013 at 04:20 PM.

I would prefer / admit to being called a straight crossdresser but I hate being lumped into the GAY term!

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I really don't give a rat's ass what you call it. Benefit of age. But, when someone calls me ma'am, I love it!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

While I'm new at it..to a certain extent I don't particularly care what I'm called.
    Technically I've probably always known of having a "sissy side" since grade school.
    So it doesn't really matter to me. Call me what you like..just don't call me late
    for dinner..

It's just automatic as humans to have a need to "label" everything..
    But really, it comes down to whatever term is used will probably not never really
    be as understood by a majority of the general populace.
    Although with more recent popularizing of LBGT issues, terminology has
    acquired a lot more publication. But then it comes down to the fact that
    "if it doesn't directly apply to me so I ignore it" by the reader/viewer of
    the info.
    So it's slow for true "understanding" of all meanings to spread anyways.
    The more people "experience" an alternative life (as in even actually
    meeting a CDer, and not just doing CD), then they themselves would
    maybe be able to learn and keep track of the differences. But because
    it's a quantity underdog, it's ignorable as an "info I should know" item
    and thus spreads slowly.

2-3 Years back, I technically didn't know about the specifications of all the
    various "Trans-es" out there. Knew about LBG side (again, thanks to knowing
    LG people/coworkers). Turned out at work we had one employee
    go thru a full transition, gender changed and all. An email was sent out by
    HR to everyone to help bring understanding and to make it all known
    and easier for the girl.
    With all the legalese in that note, it was probably the first time I realized
    the specifics of all of that. Both in identification, and also of what was
    supported by the company (and their laywers).

With CD having a bit more of a "hidden" aspect (e.g. the CDer that doesn't
    go out, or the CDer that only does it when wife's not around, etc) it's just
    not something that gets well known and understood by general populace
    and will probably always be a bit more of a hassle by CDers to have
    to explain themselves.
    Kacey Rhiannon - (FB Page) (Twitter)
    Bliss is your birthright! Feel Sexy Every Day!

Kudos Carla! Quick, sincere and to the point!

dont think it matters what u call it most people think were gay typical sterotype even my wife said r u gay when i told her about the cding

Quote Originally Posted by alisa63 View Post
    While yes, I have male genitalia and prefer to wear clothing that society typically associates with GG's but I am beginning to resent the term "crossdresser."
    Alisa, your description of yourself pretty much agrees with Webster's description of crossdresser, so maybe you complaint should be directed to the dictionary folks.
    Instead, you compain to members of a site with crossdresser in its name. No, your vent does not make sense.

More to the point and title of your thread... I try not to "hate" but work more to understand.

I love the term I love doing it I love being called one by my wife its a life of fun for me sorry you feel that way.
    #San Antonio Texas #31 #Server for life. #Goth lifestyle

I've never really been a fan of labels per se. On the other hand, I say if the label "fits" wear it and embrace who we are. Works for me Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Cross dresser suits me, because it does give me angst on occasions.
    Especially when I ladder a new pair of stockings.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.