Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate the term "crossdresser"

I hate the term "crossdresser"

While yes, I have male genitalia and prefer to wear clothing that society typically associates with GG's but I am beginning to resent the term "crossdresser." Part of it may be that I don't like being labeled, but I think it's more that the term has a negative connotation. I just like to wear what feels right, whether it was designed for one sex or the other. Guys wearing guys clothes aren't called "straight dressers" so why should I/we be labeled for what feels right to me as an individual?

Sort of just venting, but hopefully this makes some resemblance of sense.
    xoxo,
    Alisa

It certainly does, guy in panties.
    After searching my lingerie drawers, I have come to the conclusion that they lied. Ruffles don't have ridges. At least mine don't.

the term I hate more than crossdresser is when they use the word transvestite.
    “They’re not women’s clothes. They’re my clothes. I bought them.” (Eddie Izzard)

always

I have always hated the term "crossdresser". I kinda like T girl.

I will be glad when all the clothes are exactly alike for women and men. Just so they are more feminine than manly. I really don't mind the term cross dresser but your right we are all human dressers. I could go for just clothes that every one wore.

It serves its purpose as a word to describe yet another range of individuals who have something in common. The term itself is a bit of a misnomer for many. The word definitely has a negative connotation, but it's not the word itself as much as the thing it describes that has something of an image problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylyn View Post
    I will be glad when all the clothes are exactly alike for women and men.
    I'm always a bit puzzled by these kinds of statements. I can't speak for everyone, but many cross-dressers wear clothing made for the opposite sex because it is clothing made for the opposite sex.
    Last edited by Zylia; 11-20-2013 at 03:50 PM.

I to dislike the label crossdresser, as far as I am concerned I'm dressing
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Hi Alisa,

I understand the whole not liking labels thing. I was surprised before I joined here that they consider CD as being transgender. Like most people I associated that term with transexuals. but if i need a label transgender works and CD not bad. Don't like the term transvestite though.
    Dana M

Yeah, I'm kind of with you. It has a deviant behavior connotation, but no sense in getting too wrapped up in it. It's just a word to describe what we DO rather than what we ARE maybe? I like being described as being on the TG spectrum.
    "I want you all to call me Loretta." - The Life of Brian

I don't mind it. I prefer it to "transvestite" and let's face it: It's accurate and it's more precise than "transgender" which covers everything from CDers to TSes.

People's brains are wired to categorize and label. We just have to live with that fact.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I don't really mind the word but understand those who do, I just like the clothes and also wish it didn't matter if I dressed what some would consider fem, look I'm a guy and I accept that but just love the cute clothes.

I actually like the term.... simple and descriptive.... way better than Effing Pervert! lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Do you get that a lot Karen? RE: ZIP TIES
    "I want you all to call me Loretta." - The Life of Brian

i prefered to be called a sissy boy

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Laura View Post
    Do you get that a lot Karen? RE: ZIP TIES
    lol. only on electrical forums!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRamsey View Post
    i prefered to be called a sissy boy
    So much better!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I have a love/hate for the term crossdresser. In a perfect world though we would have the same freedoms that women have when it comes to shopping for clothes and which section we shop for them in. Unfortunately, that world doesn't exist. I think that is my biggest pev sort to speak......Women can wear men's clothing and not a word is said, switch it around and here comes all the label's.

Like Toni though, I dislike transvestite a bit more. I am a CD, nothing more.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

My own (private) term is dress(ing) up. Mostly because I am dressed UP when "CDing" - especially as male mode is always shorts and a T-shirt. Even my wife calls its just "dressing" or "dressed". I don't particularly care for Trans(vestite) for myself, as I don't feel trans(gendered), and it seems to confuse the average member of the general public. However, as some people probably feel thats applicable to them, the best way forward is probably education on what a wide divergent group we are?

Transvestite sounds so clinical, like you need a shot of something powerful to clear it up.
    Crossdressing is a term that I don't mind, however I don't like being referred to as a "crossdresser" as it seems to be such a limiting description for the multi-faceted people we are. If you insist on a one word description, you can call me FABULOUS!

The term "crossdressing" is OK with me. I certainly prefer it over the hideous "transvestite', I would love to be called lady, at all times.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Sissy boy is worse than crossdresser or transvestite IMO so if someone calls me one the game is on.
    I wear what I want and it just happens to be clothes that a female would wear.

If you don't want to own a label, then don't own it.
    Last week I was called a tranny, didn't own it, totally missed who I am.
    The story develops past name calling and they nearly ended up on the wrong side of a fight, but I'm trying to be lady like
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Personally I have never minded referring to myself as a cross dresser or transvestite. I am somewhat partial to Eddie Izzard's use of executive transvestite.

But now that I am reaching out to the general public more and I see the negative connotations that either of these terms brings with them, especially the sexual fetishist impressions that people think, I am beginning to dislike them.

Lately, more and more I like the label Nadine. I am who I am, and the clothes I wear are mine. I bought them, so they are my clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylyn View Post
    I will be glad when all the clothes are exactly alike for women and men. Just so they are more feminine than manly. I really don't mind the term cross dresser but your right we are all human dressers. I could go for just clothes that every one wore.
    Ohhh, you're going to get the first part of your wish. But unfortunately it's going in the opposite direction; work gear is becoming such that it hides the sex of the worker more than shows it. As more women get into the workforce, they'd rather discard the extra work of trying to look sexy. Example; even in hospitals, where there used to be lots of beautiful women in white dresses that were cut to emphasize the female curves, now virtually all of them wear loose fitting, plain, scrubs. And, they cut their beautiful long hair off because it gets in the way of their work in sterile areas. Rats. And women in the traditional men's trades such as mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc., all go to extra trouble to AVOID any sexual attraction, and prefer to wear androgenous male type clothing. And it's not going to get any better.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I actually like the term.... simple and descriptive.... way better than Effing Pervert! lol.
    Yes, that!

Banned Read only
    Alisa, I completely see where you are coming from. And agree with you. Actually, in my case, it's not so much the term "crossdresser" that bothers me, more the word transvestite. But the connotation is the same. And the question you ask "why should you be labelled" is one that I've often wondered about myself. To provide another context, I'm a gay man. I had to come out as gay. Yet no one has to "come out" as straight. That's just a given. So while straight people do have a label (i.e. straight, heterosexual, or some not so liberal places in the world, "normal"), they are rarely referred to by such a label. For such an identification is merely automatically assumed.

It's only when people deviate away from what is assumed that the label ascribed to them (as a description, in order to categorise) becomes more prominent. And I, personally, hate that. I've been introduced to people, by friends (who have meant no harm), as "this is Steve, he's gay". I've never yet met a person who has been introduced to me as "this is (insert name), (s)he's straight. So even by the very nature of introductions, sexuality becomes a focal point, a point of address, a point of identification. A primary identification.

It simply bugs me. Yes, I am gay. Yes I am a crossdresser. I've had more conversations than I care to remember that have included people saying to me "you're a crossdresser?!!!!, ah, you're gay, that explains it then". Well, no, actually, it doesn't explain it at all. The chances of coming across a gay person who is a crossdresser are, I would imagine, pretty much the same as the chances of coming across a straight person who is a crossdresser.