Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I hate the term "crossdresser"

Curious Member GenderCurious Andrea's Avatar
    Well the term cross dresser explains an action witch one does, which is literally accurate. But if I take a picture with my camera phone does that make me a photographer. I personally like the term transgender simply because the prefix (Trans) comes from the Latin word transcend witch by definition means to rise above or go beyond. To me sexuality is not a limitation but an invitation to exceed the standard of social dogma. My sexuality has limits but I haven't discovered them yet...

Platinum Member
    Hi Alisa, I like the term Crossdresser it has a softer feminine tone for me ,
    I don't care at all for the term Transvestite.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Banned Read only
    The term crossdresser fits for who we are, it's up to us to re-define the negative meaning that society has given to it.

You can call yourself whatever you want to, but other people will call you what they think you are. If you are a man who wears women's clothes, "crossdresser" is one of the nicest things they will call you. Learn to live with it.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    Alisa, your description of yourself pretty much agrees with Webster's description of crossdresser, so maybe you complaint should be directed to the dictionary folks.
    Instead, you compain to members of a site with crossdresser in its name. No, your vent does not make sense.
    Ummmm...yeah I am well aware that I meet the definition of a crossdreser. That's kinda the entire point of my thread. Also, I wasn't trying to complain, rather share my thoughts on a topic to see if others who potentially fit this definition feel the same.
    Last edited by alisa63; 11-25-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    xoxo,
    Alisa

I is what I is= c r o s s d r e s s e r and Im good with it!

I suppose I don't mind crossdresser that much. I cant stand sissy or gurl, or even worse sissygurl. Other than that, I'm pretty easy.

This is amusing, how many of you stopped to think about where we are discussing this? I do see where crossdresser is simplified and doesn't describe all the add-ons and alternatives. But that is subject for individual debate as to offensive or distasteful. Personally this is a accurate title for me and both male or female people that wear any articles of clothing society identifies for the opposite gender/sex. Political Correctness is not high on my requirements to communicate as long the terminology is truthful. I can't see where sexual orientation and/or preference is needed until the subject becomes relevant to the participants involved in an interaction or story line for others to understand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

I hate the term.
    Since I identify more along the lines of trans when it comes up I just tell people i'm trans it has got less shock it seems :P

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Ohhh, you're going to get the first part of your wish. But unfortunately it's going in the opposite direction; work gear is becoming such that it hides the sex of the worker more than shows it. As more women get into the workforce, they'd rather discard the extra work of trying to look sexy. Example; even in hospitals, where there used to be lots of beautiful women in white dresses that were cut to emphasize the female curves, now virtually all of them wear loose fitting, plain, scrubs. And, they cut their beautiful long hair off because it gets in the way of their work in sterile areas. Rats. And women in the traditional men's trades such as mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc., all go to extra trouble to AVOID any sexual attraction, and prefer to wear androgenous male type clothing. And it's not going to get any better.
    As an African-American living in and growing up in the inner-city areas, I saw/seen this more with "civilian" clothing on women than anything to do with the work place, and it usually makes me cringe. Like the insistance on wearing very mascaline namebrand shoes like Jordans(100 dollars for those ugly shoes? Ugh!) as oppose to the myraid of shoes women could wear.

I've even seen many of them wearing their pants baggy and sagging *sigh*, while I'm trying to work up the courage to buy and wear skinny jeans!

Never been a fan of labels, especially now. I'm me. Just me.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 11-26-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: merged posts. Please use the edit button . Saves sapce :)

Platinum Member
    a rose by any other name.... honestly, its an apt descriptive term for a GM who elects to wear GG attire. If anyone reads more into it than that, they're at risk of overgeneralizing. For example, many CDrs don't like the notion that they are presumed to be transgendered or transsexual. Other CDrs, myself included, see CD as an acceptable label, but acknowledge that transgendered fits as well. If I were transsexual I would probably be more offended, because I would feel that wearing women's clothes simply an accurate reflection of my gender.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't mind the phrase cross dresser. Like many words or phrases in the English language, it can take on a negative connotation depending on who is using the word, or who is addressing someone with the word, or what the situation is when the word is being used.

On another "CD" forum, of which I was a member a long time ago, I distinctly remember a "sticky", or something like it, wherein the terminology used in the transgender community was defined. There was a distinction made between the words (phrase) cross dresser and the word transvestite. The distinction made was that transvestite had the additional aspect of "for sexual gratification" while cross dresser did not. The "wearing of clothing normally associated with the opposite gender" was the same for both. I came across that distinction on a few other websites, the names of which escape me right now.

I don't know if its taboo here or not (forgive me if it is), but I haven't seen anyone mention the word she*ale. I think that term has a connotation all its own and is one that most of us, IMHO, find more offensive than cross dresser.

I'm less concerned with the term used to describe me than the assumptions people make based on the term. Particularly on-line, and particularly here, I find people presuming to know more about my inner life than I do, based solely on a brief description of how I dress.

Generally, I don't label myself. I let people meet me and see how I dress, and take it from there. Most of the time they aren't all that interested in the backstory, anyway. If I have to describe myself, I say I'm a guy who likes to wear skirts and dresses.

You realize, I hope, that you logged onto "crossdressers.com".
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I got no problem with the term cross dresser, that is how I would describe myself, it's simple and to the point. If you have to use a label then I think that is a good one, for me anyway.

Too much focus on labels in general, not just with "cross dresser". If people want a label that's fine. I've given up. Crossdresser, TV, TG, TS, straight, gay, bi, whatever. I haven't pinned down myself, and I'm not sure where I fit. Not going to worry about it. Enjoy life.

I don't mind the use of the word crossdresser as it does narrow the group down from transgender which is too broad ,but if ever someone calls me a crossdresser as Im not a crossdresser ,I would definitely through my toys out of the basket. hate the word transvestite.