Thread: trapped in canada

New Look

trapped in canada

Hi does anyone know someone that ships hormones into canada ?

Departed
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie anne
    Are you under a doctor's care for this? If not, do you know the dangers?

Here's something to consider:
    • Before starting hormone therapy, take a full physical exam, and have blood drawn to check liver function (enzymes) and clotting factors. If you can possibly afford it, also take tests for thyroid, kidney, electrolyte, lipid (cholesterol), prolactin, sugar, estrogen, and androgen levels. It is also interesting to monitor the skeletal health via the calcium and phosphorus levels, especially if you are more than 40 years old.
    • If you take oral estrogen or synthetic progesterone (progestin), repeat the liver and clotting tests a few months after each significant increase of dosage. At the very minimum, recheck them 6 months and 12 months after starting. Even after achieving a stable long-term (> 2yr) oral regimen, it is not a bad idea to recheck the liver and clotting again every couple of years. If you are only on injectible or transdermal hormones, a single recheck 9-12 months after starting should be sufficient, if you are otherwise healthy.
    • If you take spironolactone, have an electrolyte test about a month after each significant increase of dosage, especially if you have any known problems with potassium levels.
    • Discharge from the nipples may be a sign of a dangerously elevated prolactin level due to intolerance of the estrogen dosage. Immediately take a serum prolactin test. Note that there may be a dramatic spike in the prolactin level, causing significant lactation for up to a week, if a high estrogen dosage is suddenly stopped; this is similar to the process in a female who has just bore her child.
    • Be constantly aware of your body so that adjustments can be made if any new problems develop during therapy.
    • Have regular medical checkups (minimally every year; more often if you have any significant health problem); pay close attention to vital signs.
    • Eat well, and take a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement to help be sure the body has everything it needs for new development. It might be worth paying special attention to the B vitamens, as it has been reported by some that 1-2mg/day folic acid seems to help increase estrogen assimilation, and that, more generally, B-complex supplements have helped many feel better overall during pre-op level estrogen therapy (just do not go overboard with mega doses). Also, milk thistle has been promoted as a liver tonic, which seems reasonable because it contains silymarin. Silymarin has been shown to protect the liver from free radical damage by directly acting as an antioxidant, as well as by increasing the liver's content of glutathione and superoxide dismutase, which help the liver detoxify a wide range of hormones, drugs, and chemicals. Perhaps most interesting is silymarin's reputed ability to stimulate protein synthesis and the production of new liver cells, suggesting that it may be useful not only in preventing acute liver toxicity, but also in promoting recovery from chronic liver damage.
    • Do not start taking the maximum planned dosage of all hormones at once. Start with a low dosage of one, and carefully watch for negative vital signs and symptoms. If there are no problems after 2 months, increase the dosage to the planned level. Wait another 2 months before adding the next hormone or anti-hormone. Do not change the regimen radically or more often than once per 2 months. Give the body time to adjust.
    • Use the lowest hormone dosage that affords the desired changes. Not everyone needs the same dosage, because of differences in body weight and genetically-disposed sensitivity to the hormones. Hormone dosage can usually be reduced to a nominal maintenance level after the testes are surgically removed. It is not recommended to take pre-operative dosages of hormones for more than about 3 years.
    • Keep your hormone levels as even as you can. If possible, divide oral drugs into twice-daily portions. For injections, if you can stand the hassle and extra cost of syringes, divide your dose for taking every 1-2 weeks rather than letting it go 3-4 weeks.
    • Try the daily dosage of a hormone before moving to a sustained-release version, e.g., make sure you do not have adverse allergic or psychological reactions to Provera tablets before you use Depo-Provera (the sustained release intramuscular injection).
    • Estrogens delivered orally strain the liver more than other delivery methods. However, it is not highly dangerous unless the liver is already weakened by alcohol, drug use, or infection. It is a good idea to reduce alcohol and other drug intake.
    • Susceptibility to hardening of the arteries decreases somewhat, but susceptibility to blood clots, phlebitis (inflammation of lower extremity and pelvic veins), varicose veins, elevated high blood pressure increases somewhat. Stop smoking, reduce stress, and increase aerobic exercise. Investigate severe leg pain by x-ray or ultrasound to determine if it is caused by a blood clot before massaging it. Leg and foot cramping not caused by a blood clot might be reduced with potassium and vitamin E supplements (but one should not take potassium concurrently with spironolactone). Stop or drastically reduce estrogen dosage at least one month before having major surgery that would keep you in bed for more than 1 full day without any walking (to reduce the risk of thrombosis). If you take a significant oral estrogen dosage, consider adding about 80mg/day aspirin to reduce the risk of blood clots; take it with food and liquid to reduce the risk of stomach ulcer--or, better yet, use the enteric safety-coated variety.
    • Since spironolactone is a diuretic, anyone taking it should drink plenty of water, especially before and after exercise, and may need to reduce dietary intake of potassium--especially if the kidneys are already stressed.
    • Breast cancer risk seem to be low in comparison to females receiving estrogen replacement therapy. Certain studies in females seem to show that the cancer risk is lowered by consistently administering progesterone with the estrogen. Perform monthly breast self-exams, anyway; take mammograms every 2 years before age 40, every year thereafter. Prostate cancer risk is significantly reduced in comparison to males not receiving estrogen therapy. Have the prostate examined once a year if possible, anyway.

I order mine online from www.medicapharma.com, they ship to Canada and are discrete about it (no risk of them being halted at the border). Their prices seem slightly lower than inhousepharmacy.co.uk, and the shipping prices are decent.

Departed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx
    I order mine online from www.medicapharma.com, they ship to Canada and are discrete about it (no risk of them being halted at the border). Their prices seem slightly lower than inhousepharmacy.co.uk, and the shipping prices are decent.
    I just checked them out and noticed they had only one transdermal product (I'm sold on transdermal) and it was in a medium dose level, much less than a MTF TS needs. Anne Lawrence's site links suggest two 100 level patches although I only did that for one month when I self-prescribed.

Estraderm patches are pretty large compared to Vivelle Dot even though they are made by the same company. When you are wearing an Estraderm patch and go to the gym, forget taking a shower or changing in the locker room without it being obvious. Vivelle Dot is practically invisible. And it seems it's more effective than Estraderm IMHO. But I have never found any Vivelle products available on the Internet w/o prescription.

Just my two cents.

Now it's time for a drink to the New Year!

Hi Julie

I found your list to be very comprehensive and an excellent read for those considering self-medication. Can I suggest that you make that checklist a sticky so that you do not need to repeat yourself on the technicalities for those determined to proceed with self-medication.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie anne
    I have been using http://www.inhousedrugstore.com/index.html for almost 2 years. They ship all over the world. But I think you might have a problem with customs.
    If you are in Canada just go to the Dr.

Vicky
    Last edited by VickySTG; 01-19-2006 at 05:56 AM.

excellent

Yes Julie,
    I too must congratulate onthat list
    WELL DONE

Julie