Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this usually happen?

Banned Read only

Does this usually happen?

Ok, I'm a long time member, but an infrequent poster. Been a member since the mid 2000's, with a post count between 300-400. That stat alone tells you how frequent I post.

But I come here much more often than my post count suggests. Which I suppose makes me a lurking member. Reading many posts, posting on only a few.

Recently, I've noticed many new members - more than I've noticed in the past during my membership here. New members - even more so plenty in number - that's got to be a good thing right? More people in the world sharing the common interest that we all have. But then the cynical side of me kicks in - why so many new members in such a short space of time?

Is it usually like this - new members (numerous new members to the site) happening, while at other times the site isn't graced with new members for a sustained period of time?

Of course, there will always be the troll accounts - we can all spot them a mile away. I won't name names, because it would be unfair to do so, but new members pretending to be GG's, intent on vying for attention. Or maybe cd's with sock accounts, just laying a fishing line in the hope that some more established members will bite. But like I say, that's the cynic in me coming to the fore.

Perhaps the moderators, as opposed to simply the members, are best to answer this one. So many new members in such a short period? Is that usual?

xxx

Banned Read only
    I am new here, I joined the site as soon as I found it I was actually browsing online for some new clothes when I stumbled on it. I never thought to search for a forum like this before. I am just glad to be here

Maybe it is just a natural rhythmic cycle: for example, when I used to work in a convenience store, there were periods of slow custom, followed by a wave of customers, then another lull. Maybe we get a large influx of members ( minus the trolls) for the same reason?
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Platinum Member
    I don't know, statistically speaking, that there has been a significant uptick, but others have noted an increase. I suspect that these are by and large legitimate newbies, not trolls. The majority ask the kinds of questions we all ask and appear to be dealing with the same kinds of problems. That validates them in my view.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I came here because I was seeking answers to questions. I did a internet search on some questions and discovered very old threads that had similar questions with their answers. Then I decided to join and post my own questions. I've discovered many who share similar feelings, and am able to give and receive great advice here.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I am a new member. I read a lot more then I post. I only like to add to a thread if I feel like I have something to say other than you go girl. There are plenty of girls that do that, not that there is anything wrong with it. I think see your point. Some of the new member posts seem to have something that just doesn't sound right.

Just a guess: Don't know whether it's a fact or not but I've noticed a higher percentage of 19 to 29 year-olds recently. Perhaps young posters attract more young posters? That's great in my book.
    Julie

I joined the site recently, after lurking for a very long time.

I lurked to get the answers to questions that I wanted to ask, but someone was always there to ask it for me. The responses were always what I wanted to hear or needed to hear.

I joined because I recently found myself outside looking in, that I wanted to belong, also I wanted to talk to someone, anyone, about something that I have kept secret , and still do for over 40 years - and got responses that made me feel that I belonged

Just my $0.02.

I joined because it just felt like a comfortable place to discuss cross dressing, and not feel alone. I still read more than I post, as I don't have much time to dress, so have no recent experiences or stories to tell. Once in a while I have a question or feel in the mood to comment, but general just feel good reading that others from all parts of the world sometimes feel like I do.

i joined like 2 years ago I think, but never really posted anything. Then other interests took me, and I just did not keep up with most of the internet forums I used to frequent. Usually I am a lurker/reader, but am making an effort to express my feelings and opinions in topics that interest me, trying to be more involved. Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Maybe the world really IS changing? And, younger dressers r more open to exploring their feelings?

I think that's much better than living guilt ridden, repressed lives until they can't stand it anymore!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sherry,
    I totally agree. IMO trying to repress the urge to dress leads to mental depression, its better to be your try self.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I think its a cycle but there are quite a few new younger members and that is a really good thing IMO.
    The ladies here can usually sniff out the trolls pretty easily.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    What I've noticed is that a great many of the new members are starting threads and asking questions that have been thrashed half to death. This is nothing new, but the volume of new threads started by first time posters seems to be a new phenomenon.

Lynn,
    New members with the same old questions have a new outlook on life and fresh ideas.
    I did like regurgitating old threads more than twelve months old and see what a different spin new girls gave to the.
    Even the answers to "What panties are you wearing?" gets a new spin now.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    It might be that this site is coming up in web searches relatedt to crossdressing now where in wasn't before. Its how I found out about it, I wasn't looking for a forum just some information. I'm glad I found this forum though its helped me a lot in a lot of ways.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

I guess I'm pretty new and I joined now instead of a few years ago because of my personal situation, it didn't really have anything to do with changes to the forum.

I'm not staff, but I am aware of at least two recent changes (IIRC): I believe that more subforums are now hidden for non-members, but I know for fact that even as a long-time member you now need to have 10 posts before certain subforums open up for you, including high-traffic ones like 'Beauty' and the gallery. Additionally, posts in the introduction section no longer count towards your total amount of posts. That means that there's more incentive for people to create accounts and actually use them. Right after the admins made the changes I certainly experienced a slight uptick in 'spammy' posts if you know what I mean.

It wouldn't surprise me if people signing up and posting new comments inspires other people to sign up as well. Dedicated internet forums are something of a dying breed thanks to sites like Facebook, so it's actually quite special. I wonder if people have started to move away from Facebook again because it's so big and convoluted now.

Platinum Member
    Hi Jenni, The new and younger members are so lucky to have sites like this .
    I sure wish that I had all this information available to me when I was in my 20s'
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

being one of the new members i assumed its normal and was impressed, then i read a thread that suggested that it was the Halloween bump,
    either way figured OK, back when i joined i wondered how many joined with an arterial motive, to harass, or out people but assumed that as long as the site has been up that was squashed out a while ago and there would always be some who still try, not sure what a sock account is?
    i joined as soon as i found it, most of the posts i read seamed like i had wrote them.

I have felt a comfort being here since and hope i never have to second guess that decision.
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

I will continue to lurk. I check in about three to five times a week to see what has been going on. But mostly I will comment from time to time. Sometimes it is better to lurk.

I lurked here for 4+ years before I decided to become a member. Looked at many CD sites and this one was the most comfortable for my sensibilities, if you know what I mean. Perhaps others have the same feeling?
    Georgia (Gigi) Maine

So there's a bunch of new members? Apparently I wasn't paying attention.... again! lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Gold Member
    The weather is now icky so people are spending more time in front of the computer. If they look up "crossdresser forum" this is the first result and was also when I joined 500 years ago.
    Also, this whole "social media" thing is getting bigger. People are probably getting bored of facebook cause of it's mundane "what I ate for breakfast" or "MORE pictures of my darling brats". So, they need SOMEthing to tide over their boredom.

Or, maybe they are wanting to know how to join the National Sarcasm Society. (see above member's signature)

Pattern I have seen - new members join, post a lot for the first couple months, then kind of fade off. I tend to be that person on a lot of forums I join.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Banned Read only
    Yes, there has been a veritable flood of new folks. Along with an almost exponential decline of "regular" Forum Dinos.

And perhaps, as at almost any Forum, the bus drivers fit into the picture somewhere? I don't believe it is ever possible to know how much of the "turnover" is simple housekeeping.

It's quite common at Dating Forums.
    Last edited by Wildaboutheels; 11-21-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: last line

All newbees hold hands and chant , "one of us, one of us" When I joined this forum I searched for like minded people - found a different one but it was a little too slow (still a member) this one had more reality to relate to and more of an informative venue -- and was a little scary at first but soon felt at home. I wish all new members the same experience - lets still recognize them with the same respect that we all received ...........................Debra