Thread: Today is TDOR, Transgender Day of Remembrance

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar

Today is TDOR, Transgender Day of Remembrance

Lots of TG groups are getting together today for small quiet ceremonies to honor those who have perished at the hands of the vicious and ignorant. Just thought it might be applicable for those of us here to recognize that people are out there trying to change things for us. We owe them a lot.

Good call Lynn. And I also choose to remember one particular friend who died by her own hand, perhaps because of the viciousness & ignorance she encountered.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Gone to live my life
    Well said Lynn Marie.

Hugs to all my sisters

Isha

Platinum Member
    Indeed. Well said.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

It was noted in my diary and I certainly paused for thought of those who are no longer among us, whatever the reason.

Amazing Member
    Small TDOR memorial gatherings occurred today in Ottawa and Kingston, Ontario. The candle lighting at the Human Rights Memorial in downtown Ottawa tonight was covered by a couple of TV broadcasters. I pray for our sisters who did not make it. I was lucky to come out of my suicide attempt, scarred, but very much alive. My heart goes out to those suffering alone tonight.
    Last edited by Beth-Lock; 11-21-2013 at 06:46 AM.
    NOTICE: Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects or any other reasons, PLEASE BE WARNED THAT You DO NOT have MY permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or ANY forum posts both current and future. If you have DONE THIS or do IT, I MAY consider IT a violation of my rights to privacy and it may as a result, even be the subject of the appropriate action, including steps permitted under the law involving courts and lawyers. Why not ask for my approval and permission first?

I just returned from a nice little service on the UNF campus...The deaths are saddening....
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I lost a TG friend two months ago.

I heard about it. Loving all the transgender who are no longer with us.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

great post Lynn.through this amazeing foum i have learnt of all the sensless passings of our wonderfull sisters .my heat aches for there loved ones and allso you beautifull ladies who grieve for them .Thankyou Lynn and all you beautifull soles,God Bless and stay safe ,,,Love to you all from Jacqui Renee and familly from AUSTRALIA,,,,,XXXOXXXO
    ALWAYS BE TRUE TO YOURSELF:

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I was at Denver's TDoR service last night, at the Jefferson Unitarian Church over in Golden. The service was sad, yet had an aura of hopefulness at the same time.

More than 250 names were read, of those who had died in the previous year. Because there were so many names, they only lit a candle and rang a bell for every two names read, rather than every one. Even so, two tables at the front were covered with candles, and it seemed like the litany of names, places, dates, and acts of violence would never end. All those people, dead because they were "different" in a way someone else couldn't stand.

Yet the number of allies there, and the number of organizations working to better the lives of TG people represented there, provided reason to hope. I think I managed to make a good impression on at least one GG ally there. This is in keeping with my own feelings: that if more people knew people like us, and knew about what makes us the way we are, fewer people would hate and fear us.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Sigh, I always knew Christina Kay's Avatar
    Thoughts and prayers to those who are gone, and thanks and gratitude to those who have remembered. Hugs
    Follow your path.. For only you can decide, which way to go.