Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arrested for CD--public indecency?

Back in the days when I started going out in public one could and would be arrested for cross dressing. That stigma stayed with me all my adult life and if I'm out my heart practically stops beating if I see a police officer. My parents were very friendly with our city police officers and I remember one fourth of July when some police were talking to my folks and some or their other friends. They were talking about a man caught downtown wearing women's clothes. He was arrested and received 30 days plus a hefty citation. The police didn't have one nice thing to say about him. They used some very derogatory terms.

I'm glad the laws have changed and that the police have to treat CDers more compassionately and with respect.

Gold Member
    Often when a TG gets harassed it is because of wearing something risque like maybe a skirt that is too short, fetish shoes, or something trashy. It doesn't have as much to do with being "read" as it does looking respectable or not.
    Well like this - say you go out dressed decent like something for the office - people might know you are TG but won't say anything or really care.

That has been my experience over the years anyways. I have been on the occasional CD side and now full time. Out in a blouse and slacks, I have never had rude comments. It is only when my skirt was too short or something like shorts, black hose, and heels that people feel the need to say rude crap.

As far as arrest - if you do go out looking risque, just stay out of the bad parts. You probably won't get arrested but no need to draw attention of the thugs and cops.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Banned Read only
    Dress however you want, carry yourself and walk with confidence, [not a VS runway model] and TREAT PEOPLE RIGHT, and most any reasonable person will give you a "pass" - as in not give a rat's behind about what you are wearing.

It's just that simple.

You won't be arrested for dressing, but if you look like you are doing something else you could be. Suppose you decide to dress up and go walk around the local red light district for fun....where people are already upset about drugs and prostitution in their neighborhood...you are adding to the perception of a problem...you could rightly ask why don't you dress up like that and walk around in front of your own house? Would you? I think the answer is to dress up for the place you are going...if it is a club and everyone dresses like that, then go for it. Don't go someplace where the norm is much different...you'll face unwanted public attention.
    Chickie

Just ask what would my sister/wife/mother be wearing in this place at this time?
    Why wouldn't you ask what would my brother or father wear?

Taboos don't get broken if some of the people don't start breaking them.

No one can speak for me or represent me. What another CD does doesn't represent me. It doesn't represent any group I'm in either.
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    Tamara makes a good point: when we go out dressed, we are, in some respects, not only expressing ourselves, but are acting as representatives for the entire community of crossdressers. Our decisions to go out looking too much like a "working girl" headed out to East Colfax may reflect badly on our sisters as well as ourselves. It doesn't matter whether we consider ourselves "representatives" or not; that's how we will be perceived by the public. We can either ignore this, to our possible detriment, or we can make this perception work for us.

Early on, I had to remind myself of this as I balked at stepping out the front door: "I'm not being 'indecent,' I'm fully dressed...and quite nicely, too, if I do say so myself!"

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Some time ago I was on the motorway at night with the wife dressed when a few cars ahead there was an accident. I saw the hole thing as one car changed lanes without signalling pushing anther car into the central reservation that then collided with anther. Five cars in total! I stopped in time and we got out to help. the motorway was completely blocked and after checking every one, no one was hurt badly just shook up we returned to our car and let the emergency services do their job. The police come over and took a statement, it was then I realised I would have to give my male name "SH!T" I could have died on the spot. He just took all the details and never batted an eyelid, even said "thank you Miss we will be in touch"

While I agree with the idea that "I" represent the "community" (which in this case are the CDs and TSs) the OP may represent the fetish community or the drag community, where standards are different ? Sort of the same thing when I am told to dress my age (still looking for the women's 4o-60 department at the store, for some reason I end up in misses). I would love that everyone here look like classy Professional (not that profession) upper middle class or higher, nice make up appropriate to work or a nice dinner out. I am sure there are a few here who would tell me I overdress, I don't fit the profile. 19 degrees F here today and I am wearing a sweater dress and leggings...the rules would state I should be in slacks, boots and a fleece top with a down jacket. (Colorado girls here will attest though that even at this temperature you will see people in shorts and flip flops with a ski jacket) Gee I hope I don't draw attention to "us".

There are a lot of things in our community I don't really care for. I would like to destroy the stereotypes too. I don't like over the top or fetish outside of where it is commonly found, but we spend a lot of time here telling people to be themselves. There are some here that dress in "Goodwill store explosion" because they can't afford a wide wardrobe.

In western civilization, covering your "naughty bits" is all that is required in most areas. What you cover it with is your concern. In other parts of the world laws vary.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Aspiring Member

I don't think that example Bimini1 is a very good example he had on heels and nothing else was his public indecency charge. Now mix stupidity with all the drugs he had and I would say him wearing heels had very little to do with why they arrested him. I bet he might have been arrested if he had been fully dressed. Don't mix drugs with CD ing... Lol ( or any thing else for that matter)

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    That's true. The man was wearing only a turban and his heels when he was arrested. I don't think his choice of footgear would have made any difference; he could have substituted sneakers, wingtips, or snowshoes, and he'd still have been arrested.

Don't do drugs, kids, stay in school.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Quote Originally Posted by joanna4 View Post
    You won't get arrested. Can't get arrested for CD.
    I'm not sure. As of the 70's there were still laws on the books in many places that were interpreted to define a man dressed as a woman as wearing a disguise of some sort, which was considered a crime somehow. I don't know how may of those laws are still in effect, but I'm sure there are some places where they are, even though they may not be currently enforced. There are a lot of outdated laws that are still on the books. Might be interesting to know if this is one of them in everyone's town.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

In Samoa female impersonation was illegal until very recently as per
    http://www.qnews.com.au/article/samo...longer-a-crime
    even though the law was always ignored since it was first passed in 1961, because local culture appreciates crossdressers as a third gender.

I also found a 1972 Miami newspaper article that said Miami had just struck down a law against female impersonation at that time, I think just before it hosted the Republican National Convention (for Nixon's second term).

It seems totally illogical to say that anyone represents anyone else, unless they sign a statement to that effect. Even then I think it's false. If we represent each other in public, does that mean when the public comes here to read our messages all of our messages represent all of us? Or do our statements in public represent all of us? Or only when we're dressed in public? Every now and then people here and there sound rather crazy to me. I guess that represents all CDs.
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

Platinum Member
    if you dress in an age and situation appropriate manner, then there's nothing to worry about. As others have said, decent is decent - indecent, well as the Supreme Court Justice once said, you'll know it when you see it. If your going to the Rocky Horror Show or a fetish ball, that's one thing. If you're going to the mall, dress accordingly.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

If you live near a large city - go to a Fetish Ball.

If you want to walk down mainstreet - ANYWHERE - dressed like a hooker, you'll be treated likewise.

I would not be so concerned about bail money but rather the attention (unwanted or otherwise) you'll be getting sitting in a crowded intact holding cell with a bunch of angry guys.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.