Thread: nightgowns

nightgowns

My wife recently agreed to let me wear a nightgown to bed, but mainly because I get really hot and sweaty at night. We found a few places that sell special sleepwear for night sweats. When it first came, she didn't really want to see me in it, but recently she acts normally around me when I wear it. It isn't very feminine even. But this feels like a good step forward.

A good step it is, I am happy for you, Dianep! I hope it helps you and your wife to feel more comfortable in future regarding dressing, it mustn't have been easy getting this far I can imagine.

Best wishes,

Sara

My wife could not sleep with me, not because of what I was wearing, more so that I flop around like a fish on the bed. When I sleep on the couch, I feel well rested. We used to have a long couch and we both slept on it together, did not matter what we were wearing. She liked to dress on occasion too. Most of the time she preferred her sweat pants and one of my shirts. I had no problem when she wore my clothes. She even offered to let me wear her things. Unfortunately, me being 6 ft and her only 4'7" there is a big difference in sizes. She found one of my night slips and claimed it for herself. On her it was practically floor length.

In some ways it is unfair that women have more freedom to express themselves by what they wear, and it is not acceptable for men to step out of the norm. It is just clothing.

May I offer a possible suggestion, not sure if it will help, but, you could always look into getting a long tank top (basket ball style but not loose fitting). I have two that my ex-wife gave me for what ever event it was, when I tried them on they were almost thigh length. I kept them but barely ever wore them, (I was married twice so not trying to confuse.) I still have the shirts and I prefer them over satin nighties. Also it can double as a slim dress. (note, if you wear satin undies, they will slip just as well under a soft cotton tank top as it would a slip). You may actually like it, plus it is men's clothing.

Erica

What sort of nightgowns are for night sweats? Link?
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

I'm happy for you. Progress is good. I personally LOVE to wear nylon and satin nightgowns and my wife accepted that for a while, even during sex. About 2 years ago she decided it was too girly and so bought me two pair of femalesatin PJ's. Now I wear those and some nylon ones that I bought. Sometimes I wear her nightgowns and when caught she takes it in stride (depending on mood!).

Hope this means more acceptance for you forever! Always like to hear successes with SO's.

Up until about 80 years ago, most men wore nightshirts for sleeping; pajamas are relatively recent . My mom bought me one when I was about 10. Come to think of it, she bought me a few sorta-fem things when I was young; some satin pajamas with a paisley top (I still have these 50 years later) and a pink dinner jacket and black slacks with a matching pink stripe. Wear what you're comfortable sleeping in, it's healthier.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNDERDRESSER View Post
    What sort of nightgowns are for night sweats? Link?
    Just Google "moisture wicking sleepwear"
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Silver Member
    Good for you, Diane. Hopefully this will be fun for you and your wife will become accepting and comfortable. Share how good it feels and how much you appreciate her acceptance. Next step, discuss adding a lighter (and sexier) nightgown. One step at a time.

I wear nightgowns to be bed and my wife doesn't care she has ask me if i have one she could wear at times
    congrats on the step forward
    Mistyjo

I want to buy a nightgown, I've always liked silky clothes. I live in a dorm right now though, I can 'to really do much in terms of hiding my clothes or dressing. The bra I have is safely tucked away in a drawer, and my room is always locked. It helps to have a quiet roommate who isn't nosy though.

Banned Read only
    Hi Dianep,
    We've all missed a trick here, why do we crossdress, for medical reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by Manwithabra View Post
    I want to buy a nightgown, I've always liked silky clothes. I live in a dorm right now though, I can 'to really do much in terms of hiding my clothes or dressing. The bra I have is safely tucked away in a drawer, and my room is always locked. It helps to have a quiet roommate who isn't nosy though.
    Well i u sed to buy my nightgowns in Dillards or Macys as my main shopping spots but for the last 2 Xmass my mom has baught as my xmass gift some really cute Victorias Secret panties, Bras, and Awesome Nghtgowns, that i love to wear every now and then but not alway i wear them since i love those silk pj's specially the the ones with shorts

Diane,
    Just don't make too much fuss about it and you will be able to progress slowly.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It is a good step forward for sure. Enjoy!
    Di

Platinum Member
    During the first years of my marriage (forty plus now) I use to wear floor length nightgowns. My wife was very sensuous during the "romantic" period of newly weds. She and I spent many Saturdays in mid town Manhattan shopping for lingerie for her at Macy's, Gimbels, Korvettes and all the other stores along 34th Street and Fifth Avenue. Damn, the lingerie in the 1970's was a lot more sensuous than now. I mean in your basic department stores. Heck, the nightgowns recognized a woman had breasts and the gowns reflected that fact. I digressed.

One night my wife encountered me in the kitchen wearing one of her floor length gowns which was pristine white. She asked and I told her the truth that I like the feel of the nylon. At that time I really did not know I was destined to launch into cross dressing. Anyway, we did go shopping for nighties for moi. I ended up with a floor length black one which has since been discarded as the fabric had no stretch to accommodate adding a few pounds-not many. I also had a pink peignoir which I still have after forty years. She even went as far as buying me several garter belts and seamed stockings. She gave me one of her red shortie nighties because it was "rough" feeling, which it was. That ended up being donated. In 1992 I was off on a business trip for a week. I bought two floor length nightgowns; red and a white one. I stayed at a Marriott Residency Inn and had a great time dolling myself up every evening.

Alas, when our first child was born she asked me not to wear a nightgown to bed as she did not want our son to get the wrong idea. I would love to sleep in a nightgown again. Nylon is the fabric that led me down the path.

My recommendation is to go with a nightgown that is not overly feminine as to pattern and lace. A plain floor length black or white would probably not stir the pot too much. But, you never know. If it turns you into a tiger she may figure what the heck.

wearing nightgown update

I mentioned before that my wife was accepting of me wearing a nightgown because of my night sweats. I've been wearing it before bed while reading, etc. And in the morning during breakfast, coffee, usually with a robe. She seems to have adjusted to it. Feels great! Not sure what the next step might be. She knows about my desire to crossdress.

I would tread water for a while and certainly don't push it.
    She might have a sudden change of heart.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It doesn`t hurt to check with her, Diane.

Silver Member
    Next step is a cautious, well-thought out, caring step. As Giuseppina suggested, you need to communicate with her. Maybe telling her how effective the night gown works, maybe also how good it feels - and without overdoing it, adding your appreciation. Maybe ask her if she is OK. Communications and assurances.

Platinum Member
    If the nightgown is not overly feminine and is for night sweats, I would not run out a buy a floor length nylon gown in vivid red. Some of the nightgown my wife wears for comfort I would not be caught dead wearing. My first nightgown that I wore to bed with my wife's OK was a pink knee length peignoir with an overlay of sheer fabric. I still have it. It qualifies as vintage as the wearer.

I have three black night gowns that are bamboo derived. They are easily the most comfortable clothes I have ever slept in. They are women's night gowns (from Yala) but they might as well be night shirts since they're not really heavily gendered. My wife bought them for me (she calls them night shirts). They are awesome at dealing with night sweats which I had most of my life when I slept naked. Night sweats have almost disappeared since I started sleeping in bamboo. She had to buy me the XL because I'm too tall for any other size. She likes the way I look in them. My daughter (and grand daughter) recently visited and I wore them before going to bed around them. They didn't consider them unusual. But I do have a very accepting and supportive family. Here's the link (for Underdresser) to the Betsy style - http://www.yaladesigns.com/womens-ba...boo-nightshirt. My favorite is the Penelope - http://www.yaladesigns.com/womens-ba...ect-nightshirt.
    Last edited by devida; 02-06-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: fixed URL

A very small step but we all have to start some where good luck