Thread: Wanting to go on a road trip

Wanting to go on a road trip

Hey all, I really want to let Jenn out, but the closet door is stuck closed on me. So one solution a friend suggested was to road trip up to NYC and have a Jenn night there, and I think this a great idea. I know people all over the state where I do live, but NYC is far enough away that I [hopefully] shouldn't be nervous about going out.

What I'm looking for is some tips as for where to go, what to see, and tips on how to "be Jenn" who's never taken a real trip outside before. One thing that concerns me is ID-I'd like to get some alcohol to at least loosen me up a little bit, but I have only my male ID, of course. What should I do about that (I'm not getting any illegal/fake IDs).

Consider me your "greenhorn" community, and bestow your wisdom upon me.
    Just trying to find my place in the world

Jenn,
    From experience the one thing I would say is for your first time at least, stay off the booze! Yes it can give you a bit of "Dutch courage" but it can also cloud your better judgement.

A while ago I bought a new coat and was itching to wear it out. However being in the closet I don't get out that often. My SO was away and I'd been for a few drinks with friends. Not by any means drunk, I arrived home about 12:30 'ish and decided to go for it. Quick bit of makeup, skirt, blouse, flat boots and new coat out the front door I went for a quick walk around the neighbourhood. Only out for say 10-15 minutes but with that wonderful thing hindsight, it was a stupid thing for a closet dweller like me to do. No way would I have done it totally sober.

So yes, the road trip is a great idea. You'll get sound advice from others I'm sure but for a newbie, keep you wits about you. You'll get more from it.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Gone to live my life
    Hi Jenn,

I think a road trip is a great idea. Unfortunately, I am not from the area so I cannot provide guidance on what to see. Regarding travelling and ID, I have travelled pretty (by car) on a few occasions now for work and have had rent a vehicle "en femme" with "boy" ID. The guy behind the counter was a bit confused but then called his supervisor who said no big issue as I had enough ID to prove who I was. When checking in to the hotel, I had to show government ID (work rate for the room) and let the girl know the picture was not recent (with a slight smile). She only said don't worry honey, my ID doesn't look like me either. So to date I have not had an issue. However that is up here in Canada but, I have read other posts from US gals who have had no issues with boy ID and travelling en femme.

The only thing that proved to be a bit of an issue was "restrooms". Most roadside rest stops are generally packed and I did not want to tromp into the ladies room lest some knuckle dragger waiting for his GF think I was some pervert looking for a peek at the ladies. So luckily there was a family toilet I could use.

Good luck, enjoy and don't forget to post upon your return.

Hugs

Isha

Regarding the alcohol, I don't think that's a great idea, but why not just take a bottle or two with you when you go? Or buy it there before you change?

I've been to NYC a couple times, but my entire time was planned so I only know about where I was and what I did. No help to you on that question.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I don't think a clerk would really care. I have done it many times. I purchased ladies frames at Costco and lenses and got no comment. When I went to pick them up I was dressed as a man. The clerk opened them to check to see if they were correct and said, " Oh wait, these aren't yours, they are womens glasses." And I said, " yes, those are for me". No comment from him. So, I don't worry anymore what salespeople think. Same with buying a bra, or panties, or dresses. Here is the way I see it; I deserve to do what pleases me and if it does not hurt anyone and is not illegal, then I will do it. I just want to be my authentic self.
    Diane78

You can never be too far away, I have run into acquaintances in East and West US, UK, Europe and Singapore.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Unfortunately I am not able to go out dressed anymore. But one of my first real outings was in NYC. It was awesome.
    The east village is cool. St marks place is a cool spot between 1st and 2nd ave. I think. It's only 1 block long but there are a couple of really cool shops one is called trash. Totally cd friendly ! I bought a pair of thigh high boots and a skirt there. The SAs where all to happy to help me and made me feel like I was just any other customer. There are also a bunch of restaurant / bars on the street as well. I am partial to day time outings myself as far as drinking I think one or 2 is fine but don't get hammered. As far as ID I would just use you male ID if they even ask. I got a piece of advice from a more experienced girl before my outing in NY and I will pass it on to you she said " you will never see any of those people again in your life so who care what they may or may not think. Just get out there and have fun but be safe " and to that I will add its NYC your not the first cd they've seen and you won't be the last. Most people most likely wont care at all. If you are are enough from home that you aren't at risk of being seen by some one you know , then I say go for it ! Have some fun but be safe. Believe me I know how intimidating it is but if its some thing you really want just take a deep breath and jump in. Another thing you can do is google Tiffany Leigh CD She is a cd party promoter and she hosts on a a club in NYC but I'm not sure where
    Good luck ! Let me know how you make out xx Lexi

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    I have done many a road trip fully dressed, having left the house with nothing in my suitcase but female attire. My longest out and about was around 5 nights or so. During these times, I have done everything one might expect to do on a road trip: went shopping, went out to dinner, rented hotel rooms, bought alcohol, talked with random people, etc. The entire time I generally paid for items with my credit card and showed them my male ID. Out of the hundreds of times I have used my male ID I have probably only been questioned 2 or 3 times. One time in Walmart someone insisted the ID was not me, I kept to my statement, that yes it was of course me. Eventually the manager came over and they relented. I have never been refused service or not allowed to use my male ID/credit card. Just be polite and insist that you are who you say you are. Nowadays I say nothing unless questioned, but I used to feel weird about using my male ID and I would say "Yeah, I know my hair is quite a bit shorter in that photo, but trust me, it is me." Generally people would smile and say okay. Me best advice, be polite, and extra nice and people will go out their way to help you.

But sorry, I have no info about NYC. I would say though, do whatever and go wherever you normally would, just like any other regular human being.

Good luck, and go for it!

Be safe , don't piss anyone off, have a lot of fun, keep it legal and report back to us.

The road trip idea seems like a good one. Stay safe, have lots of fun and just let your girly side shine!! Hope you have a great trip!

Friends don't let friends drink and crossdress!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Platinum Member
    I'd suggest getting out in daylight or early evening for those first outings. Go places you're interested in, whether it's a nice restaurant, a musical, or whatever. For bars, check out the LGBT listings for accepting venues.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you all for your advice. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes when/if it happens
    Just trying to find my place in the world