Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being tall (6'3) and CD

Being tall (6'3) and CD

I think that envy is a destructive emotion, but it just pops up sometimes. I often admire what women are wearing, and admire the female form. But I also find myself envying those shorter girls on this forum and those with slighter physiques. It would be so much easier to pass, buy clothes, look and feel feminine.

There is another recent thread about average height/weight for male/female. Many responded that they were relatively short (compared to me). Made me want to connect with other tall women/CDs on this forum. We have some unique problems in addition to the challenges we all face. I am 6'3, 205, with an athletic build. One thing about this is that, just by virtue of my size There were certain gender-role expectations such as being "tough," knowing how to fight (in the neighborhood I grew up in), being in team sports, etc. My height now intensifies my fear in going out dressed. Would ne 6'5 in 2 inch pumps. Other tall girls out there? Let's support each other. Nancy

hi nancy,

6'6" in heels, i dont go out as of yet, but imagine if i did i would were flat pumps, but when home i like how high heels look and feel, have found some groups that meet up at private venues and I hope to get to that point someday...
    although i have envied " those shorter girls ...... and those with slighter physiques" i feel i look and feel like a girl and that satisfies me, passing maybe someday, but that is not my goal...
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    6'3" and 195 pounds. Yes, it's quite challenging to find dresses that will fit my shoulders without looking like a tent around my hips. I love 5 inch heels which actually make me just over 6'6". I go out pretty successfully, avoid malls, and I pick my venues.

Platinum Member
    There are lots of us. I sometimes where heels but since I'm trying to blend, I'll often wear flats or sandals. At 6'2" I'm still taller than most, but I often see women around my height.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm 6'1" and pretty much go anywhere i want. My wife and i go to malls,swap shops,dinner movies and even disney world and universal studios in our sunshine state of fl. I just dress to blend hold my head high shoulders back all with a bunch of confidence.

6ft"1 here even taller in heels, I always think its a bit of a giveaway when im out and about dressed

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Yes Nancy Im 6'2 here and over the last few months Ive been working on loosing weight so I have a better look in my fem cloths, and since my legs are my best female asset I just let that be the part I embrace. Being tall is ok with me for sure even in heels.

I used to be 6'1" but gravity has me at 6' now...lol.

I'm still 6'3 in heels and at first was sure it would be the death of me. A certain 'tell' to the rest of the world.
    Just look around...yes you are tall, but there are many, many tall women these days and they revel in their stature. Just be proud and own it. Nothing backs down a nay sayer more than someone who is secure in who they are.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Nancy, Join the tall girls club. I am 6'6" 253. In my 4" heels, 6'10" , and in my 5", and 6" heels, well, with wig high, over 7'!!!!!!!!! I am like you that way, and seldom go out in publec. My shortest heels are 2 1/2", but that still makes me about 6'9' with wigs. We get a whole lot more looks, stares, and scrutiny, than average or short ladies. In my town, there are very few tall GG's. I went in to the dollar store on Oct 31 late, and was clocked immediately. However, at the Burger King drive up, i passsed (sitting in the vehicle)! If i had got out, and gone in, different story. There is no getting around our height. I have had a hard life from my harsh family of origin. Wearing dresses and skirts that are lower than the knees, "A" skirts and dresses, a bit roomy, seem to help presentation some. I sometimes chicken out about going to public places, mostly due to me size. We have to deal with a bit more public looks, opinions, laughing, comments, because of it. Most will clock us quickly, and then there is the man voice, or attempted lady voice!

6'4" in bare feet here. I feel your pain Nancy. You do see women our height out there but they are few and far between. Just one more reason that I don't get too hung up on "passing" but instead go for looking nice and put-together to the point that I "read" female even if people aren't fooled.

When people see me I don't expect them to think "wow what a tall woman", but I'd like them to think "that man really knows what he's doing, he looks beautiful!"
    Last edited by edith; 11-28-2013 at 10:44 AM.

I am 6'3 and 185. I dress and go shopping and blend pretty well. Anyone I pass seems to walk by without looking
    However I wear flats so I don't stand out and seem to blend in.

Edith, I love your post. That is the way to think and do! Most guys envy tall men, but i tend to envy short men. Short men have loads of women their size to choose from, in dating. Super tall men have extremely few choices, in GG's their size or close. I would like a very tall GG, but, i oftensee the few GG, who are tall, with shorter men! So, i dress up and be that tall GG.

I'm 6'4" 220lbs. 3" heels are as high as I go because I don't like the feel of higher. I have embraced my height as have other girls I hang out with in Dallas. We could start a High Heel Basketball Team. Yes you will get noticed. Who cares. There will be some whispers after you walk by. Who cares. There is less than 1% chance you will see them again.
    I do hate not being able to buy shoes locally. Size 15 heels are not common in Payless. If I was a little shorter/smaller, I could get some really cute outfits. But again, I embrace my size and buy what fits and goes good with my age.

Dress then go to the next town (if you live in a smaller community). Embrace Nike. Just Do It. )
    Loving girlfriend of BrandyGG

Full time NY state girl MarciManseau's Avatar
    For those of us who were born petite, we know we have an advantage when it comes to passing and living full time, as I do.

The other side of the coin is that most of us were teased or bullied because we were naturally small and feminine. I'm sure you over six-foot tall girls never had to suffer through being called girly or a sissy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My GG GF Julie and I send you all hugs I'm on the right in my avatar, Julie is on the left.

OMG shoes! I totally forgot about the shoe issue. That is the very worst thing about being tall! Selection, hassle, and expense all get worse past size 10 or so.

Certain styles work

Hi Nancy
    I'm 6'3" and 240, so I do cast a long shadow. I found that clothes that fit carefully around the waist give a better silhouette. Wrap dresses to the knee or just above, blouses that are pleated or wrap and hip padding go a long way to help draw the eye from our wide shoulders. I'm a 20/22w on top and a 18/20 on bottom and usually keep my heels below 4 inches and have a few pair of cute flats that help control the height issue. Kiyonna and Igigi both have wonderful clothing that fit our figure. I found both brands to fit larger so a 2X works for me. Ebay sometimes have deals on these brands used and right now Kiyonna has a 30% off sale. I have a few 2x dresses for sale if you are interested.
    Above all is to have fun and to be accepting of ourselves, Nancy!
    Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Karen Elizabeth
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

"Only" 5'11" here but fit size 14 shoes. All of the hot shoes are in smaller sizes!

Aspiring Member
    6'-4" here and weigh more then I care to say. I do go out for drives and have pump gas into my vehicle. I have gone out to a post office after hours to snail mail. I do go out under-dressed as a woman with light makeup and perfume on.
    I haven't found the courage to go about shopping as a woman but have seen several tall woman out and about. I have been out shopping before while under-dressed as a woman and have tried on some woman's outfits in the local Lane Bryant store in one of the local malls.
    I would really like to go out shopping as a woman and out to dinner as one also. One of these days it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MarciManseau View Post
    The other side of the coin is that most of us were teased or bullied because we were naturally small and feminine. I'm sure you over six-foot tall girls never had to suffer through being called girly or a sissy.
    Your height has nothing to do with whether you're teased and called gay, girly, or sissy. I'm 6 foot, and I was called all three names all my life through the end of last year, and still got a couple of gay jokes recently. Granted, as a kid I was smaller than average, but since puberty I've been taller than average, and have always had a slim build. But I was called those names both as a kid when I was smaller and during adolescence and adulthood when I reached my 6 foot height.

Getting called gay, girly, or sissy, happens because people detect something feminine about your behavior or mannerisms, not because of your height or build. A 5'2 petite macho touch acting man will never get called sissy by anyone, and a 6'+ feminine acting male will.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

6'2" 175 here, size 11 shoes. I'm darned tall in female terms but it hasn't been a big problem for me. I'll occasionally run across a GG my height and the reaction is almost always the same, we look at each other's feet to see how high the heels are then look back up and smile.

I wear flats or heels and find that modest heels work well. 2-1/2" heels add only 1-1/2" to one's height and their presence justifies height because observers don't pause to do the math. They see a tall girl, see that she is wearing heels, and take that for a good justification.

I used to be self-conscious about a lot of things, including my height. As I gained experience I realized that it doesn't make a lot of difference. GGs come in all shapes and heights, and they don't wake up every morning worrying about whether they will pass. They just pull up their panties and get on with life. I try to project the same confidence.

A few weeks ago in the foyer of the Dress Barn fitting room I was looking at a dress in the big mirror and another customer walked in. She was short and a bit wide and she said "You're so lucky, you can wear those slim dresses so well!"

So, we each have our crosses to bear. Being tall isn't all that bad!

Oh, I received more than my share of bullying as a youth, since I didn't get my full height until I was in college.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

6'3", 240 but will probably be 205 when I finish my diet(not a crash thing, just changing habits and choices, I was 290 last year, long story). Anyways, being tall has pretty much kept me from going out dressed. I just feel that I am the biggest of the sore thumbs sticking out. I generally dress to conceal my tummy whether or not in mens or womens clothes. Finding clothes that fit was hard at first, but then you find brands that work and you stick with them.

Someone brought up footwear, as a 13, you rarely find classy, stylish shoes. I have found a few retailers that have some good offerings, but not nearly the selection of under 10.

All in all I like being tall, just a little bit more work, but I do like the end result. Now I just need to boost that confidence in a public forum.

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Aspiring Member
    I am 6' 4" and slim (skinny) but I don't go out and try and pass. I just love the feel and look of dressing. If I was4-5" shorter I probably would get into passing and going out. I really think it would be fun. With some forms, a corset and some hip pads my shape isn't too bad but with the height I just make do with staying home. I do under dress and often wear girl jeans or pants. Getting long pants isn't to hard, ALLOY, or LONG ELEGANT LEGS both have up to 37" leg lenghts and the junior sizes from ALLOY fit pretty good. I can't change my height, and I can't risk being discovered, and I am satisified with dressing at home. Sherrii

6'6", 195lbs, size 11uk feet. So in my highest heels, I stand at 7'1".
    Do I win a prize for tallest?
    My biggest gripe is finding skinny jeans or leggings with a 37" inside leg.
    And the shoe size, thats a bummer.

There ARE places to cater to larger sizes, and theyre not all frumpy looking either.
    Sure they cost more, but hey, Id rather pay more for shoes and not have to get clothes for a 250lb body

Enjoy the good aspects of what you have, and accept the aspects you dont.
    Samantha -x-

Over 6 foot tall(6'04 according to my license). I have yet to go out fully dressed, but I'm one big(240 lbs...I think) and tall girl.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaM View Post
    "Only" 5'11" here but fit size 14 shoes. All of the hot shoes are in smaller sizes!
    Tell me about it. I fit a size 12-13 mens, so that translate to 14 or 15 womens. Not only are many of the sexy sandals I would want are way smaller, but sneakers like Sketchers are out of my league(and I hate men shoes).