Thread: Who do you work with?

Gold Member

Who do you work with?

As I get out in the community more, I find it interesting the people that I work with that are out there making things happen. When I first started with my company, I felt good about its acceptance as there are a couple of openly GLB couples and two ladies who transitioned on the job. The local division here is about 3000 people, so it isn't a small company. At this point I am not out yet, but I have the attitude it is just a matter of time. Maybe it has happened and people are just leaving the topic alone.

As I have gotten out more, it seems I am finding more out about people I work with. Earlier this year I saw a reference on Facebook and after tracing it, figured out that one of the men in our HR group is the President of a local gay organization. When I went to the Pride Festival, he was manning a booth and my wife and I bought some shirts from him. No big deal, we haven't really met. I then went around the corner and there was another co-worker manning the Royal Court booth.

So lately I have been opening my mind to being more involved with the area goings on. I was looking at some pictures of a reception and a distant face looked familiar. This seemed to be someone that I talk with every day at work. So I searched out his Facebook page and sure enough, if he isn't gay/bi, he certainly is supportive. He posed in an equality ad and he is a member of the board of one of our larger organizations in the state. So I guess our "meeting" could be inevitable if I keep involving myself in area events. Depending on where I am at the time, I may pass on friending him since 50+ other employees are friended with him. We'll see.....

Every area has people who are leading the local groups. Have you ever thought you might be working with some of them?

I am retired so I don't work with anyone. When I was working I worked with a few gay and lesbian people. Mostly it was a non-issue although I can remember a couple who made being gay or lesbian an issue to get special "minority" treatment.

I think most gay and lesbian people really just want to be treated like "people". Sexual orientation is not a part of most jobs.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Platinum Member
    I work with an organization that serves a significant number of gay males and a few TS. But I'm not out to them at this point. Not sure if I will...still trying to decide.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    I was medically retired from the Army, so if there was anyone else who shared my views, it was always DADT. Now, I have started an online business, so I don't interact with anyone.

I still work in the entertainment industry and computer support.
    My tasks are ever changing and I have to learn new tricks all the time.
    Nothing is constant but change.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I retired from active work force a few years ago and now work as a bridge tender part time here in South Florida. There are quite a few openly gay women doing the same. I have met a few and one has become a good friend. I am TG have been totally integrated into the GLBT society here. They are really great folks and, yes, sometimes an introduction to someone can really amaze you. All in all, life is pretty good.

Bobbi

Gone to live my life
    I work in the military and while there are openly gay and TS people, whey just work along side everyone else with little or no issue. I hold no illusions that personal opinions still vary but policy makes it illegal to discriminate against anyone regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or gender identity.

Hugs

Isha

I am a positive energy person, so don't work with any groups per se. My focus is to help others by doing positive things.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I would work with you

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I currently work for myself and am rarely around other people much. The company you work for has a lot more employees than even live in the whole county where I reside so the kinds of things you see are just not seen here. I have in the past worked places in larger areas where there was more of a variety of people including GLBT folks. I enjoyed that a lot more than where I am now because the people here just seem so backward and out of touch to me. Way to conservative.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

I've worked in quite a few different professions and companies over the years, although its been in the same community for my entire life. Some of the places I've worked were large, Fortune 100 (and better) companies. I can honestly say that I have never worked with anyone that I knew was G, L, or even B, and especially T. Some of the people may have been gay or lesbian, but either they weren't out or I just didn't know or pick up on it for whatever reason. As far as transgenders, I don't think I have ever met another. Obviously, I can't say that with 100% certainty. Who knows? If I did, it sure wasn't obvious to me. And I'm pretty sure I haven't had any "gut feeling" about anyone I've worked with in regard to them being possibly gay. Maybe my community is too small. I guess I don't get out enough.

while i was in the military, i did not know of anyone who openly admitted to being either gay or TG - that was before DADT was revoked. After i got out and DADT was revoked, i learned (he confirmed) that one of my former soldiers is gay and performs in drag shows here in Kansas City. My current place of employment is totally accepting of LGBT. There are several openly gay and lesbian attorneys. The firm solidly supports my transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    ... Every area has people who are leading the local groups. Have you ever thought you might be working with some of them?
    Oh I stopped 'worrying' a looong time ago. My thinking is this is a New Era. We've crossed traditional lines. There's a level of acceptance unheralded in modern times. Just be yourself. Nobody really cares about sexual identification nowadays. The evidence is all around.

What was yesterdays drama is todays commonplace. Society is advancing at such a rapid pace. More important things to worry about in this day and age. I think 'they' (mainstay commonplace people) are over it now. But you still have to use your head. Be aware. Don't go where the most ignorant among us dwell. It still could be life threatening.

In other words, don't stray too far away from the shopping mall.

I work with people. Most of them are individuals. Their sexuality generally is NOMFB. I know some are gay because they're openly gay (which isn't exactly a big deal here) and I've met their partner for example.

Self employed and work alone.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I've worked at my place for 30 years coming in May. Long ago (in a galaxy far away) my department of ~12-13 people had well known the one lady was lesbian.
    (she told everyone up front to clear the air about it). I'm glad to say that no one in the group ever had any issues with that. I sure didn't. Only thing was an
    issue was her health..had back issues where she dealt with some surgeries and extended leaves because of it. Unfortunately, my company did her dirt
    because of that and laid her off on the day she was to return.
    (can't lay her off or notify her ahead of time so she could be actively "searching" during her downtime...nope..just drop the ball on her stating "her position was removed").
    It's a legaleze way to fire her for wasting company money for health... not removing her, just her "position". (she's not the only one this happened to).
    Anyways, she married to a family I believe just for the health care support side of it (all was amicable) and since divorced again and doing better. We're still friends.
    The rest of the department pretty much is married..so haven't seen/heard anything in the gender/preference way.
    Out of department there was one that was transgendered and fully shifted M>F.
    The office did a nice letter explaining things to everyone, welcomed the "new" person (new legal female name) and so forth.
    To be honest, as I work night shift side, never met up with that person. She still works there.
    Don't really think there is anyone that really cares one way or another.
    Maybe 2 from a different department that "might" be not so tolerant (based on their mannerisms and other stated views
    on non-related things as well as age) but nothing definite or outright said.
    Kacey Rhiannon - (FB Page) (Twitter)
    Bliss is your birthright! Feel Sexy Every Day!