Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My best friend almost made me cry tonight

My best friend almost made me cry tonight

Last weekend my best friend got engaged.

And I'm going to be her maid of honor. On the way back from gaming we had a conversation concerning all that entailed, from the rehearsal dinner to the bachelorette party, and what colors she's going to put me in, and the logistics of changing in the bridal suite.

One issue that came up is her stepdad. He is very, very conservative. And on top of that he's VERY conservative. We've not layed eyes on each other very much at all, but he's seen pictures and heard about me. And he does NOT approve of me. His ideal society he says is the 1950's, he's literally said that aside from the racism everything else was perfect.

Personally, It would make me happy to make HER happy, and it is not my role to make any sort of statement or a point, and I would be perfectly willing to show up in boy mode if she wanted me to. I want her day to be perfect.

But she said she wanted me there as Violet to be her maid of honor. "Some people will that will be there will have seen you as a male before and know, others I don't think will. But anyway it doesn't matter if they have a problem they can bite me." She said she realizes that her stepdad is going to be really bothered by it but it's her decision. Then when I got out of the car she hugged me and said "Thank you for accepting."

I try to avoid having emotions whenever possible, but I'm as close to crying now as I've ever been.

That is wonderful. What a great friend you have!

that is wonderful!! you are so lucky to have such a "true" friend like her.
    now have yourself a good cry...
    paula

Enjoy you will make your friend happy

Platinum Member
    Good for you. Her step dad's approval is clearly not worth having.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Violet,
    I know how you feel, one of my house mates got married and I along with the other girls attended all her pre wedding nuptials.
    All dressed as they were all girls affairs.
    I felt left out at the wedding as I had been asked and refused to be in the bridal party.
    My reason is that it would have taken the day away from her a bit and there were a lot of conservative relative that would not have understood anyway.
    I should have done it as it was a missed opportunity.
    She then asked another friend that was about to transition to be in the bridal party.
    Those that knew never let on and all the conservative relatives were none the wiser.
    As they walked down the aisle, my partner said, "It's okay, men are allowed to cry at weddings".
    I was unable to tell her the real reason why though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Violet...what a beautiful story. Your best friend, who truly loves and cherishes you, wants you there, by her side, on her most important day. I applaud you for offering to appease her stepfather, but you know, you must do whatever she says, because it is her day. AND he should understand this too...

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Wow, great for you, I would love to do something like that. I'm trying to get my wife to take me to her jobs Christmas party dressed en femme, I'm like, just dare me to do it, I'll do it you know. Hope all goes well, be there for her, don't worry about her step dad, its not his day its hers. By-the-way you look great in your avatar.

Sounds like one pretty awesome friend Violet.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Gold Member
    Wow Violet. That is awesome. I know you will make her day a perfect one. I'm sure you'll make a gorgeous maid of honor.

That's pretty awesome !

Well if He is as CONSERVATIVE as they or you say He prob won't open his mouth ? Would you confront or out a Cd or Trans person in the middle of a Big wedding an risk the relationship of His wifes daughter an maybe get his a$$ kicked for ruining the wedding ? I thought not ,, Just stand up strait an act like a Lady an have FUN !! Let all the other closet folk bask in your courage ,,That they don't have !!

Gracious Colleague looking_good's Avatar
    You have an amazing friendship - which says a lot about both of you. Here is hoping that her step dad rises to the occasion and realizes it is about her day, not his views.

I'd have cried like no one's business!!

There's no doubt that if we all had someone like her, that this would be a much better world. She truly is the definition of a best friend. Hope all of you have the time of your life.
    After searching my lingerie drawers, I have come to the conclusion that they lied. Ruffles don't have ridges. At least mine don't.

Aspiring Member
    Middle of Oregon, on the West side, but my feet aren't wet!
    Awesome friendship Violet! That's why we call them "Best" friends! Go and return the honor of being asked and be proud! And have fun!

And don't forget to tell us all about the wedding!

Oh you lucky girl Violet. I hope it all works out for you and your best friend. Remember, your friend is the one who is getting married, not her step father. He will get over it. Enjoy, its a once in a life time event. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

Banned Read only
    You have such an amazing friend Violet! You are going to have such a great time, just remember it's her day I wouldn't worry about the step-dad at all, he is very unlikely to start anything. Have a great time, I am sure a lot of us here are jealous. We will be thinking of you and I look forward to hearing about how it went

Kaylee

Let the tears flow! Just reading your story put happy tears in my eyes!!!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

You can't beat a true friend! That is wonderful!
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Violetgray View Post
    I try to avoid having emotions whenever possible
    Why? What's wrong with having emotions?

Jealous.

Congratulations!

Violet, I am so very happy for you!! What a great friend - I hope you have a great time. I spent literally decades, that I can't get back, worried into paralysis about how closed-minded men would treat me. Wait no more - have fun! Are there other friends like yours out there???
    Monica

Banned Read only
    Yes, you have an awesome and understanding friend. On the other hand the memories of the day will be forever engrained in every attendees mind. Who will the talk of the wedding? You or the bride? When people look at the bridal pictures years or decades later, who will be talked about?

Once I attended a wedding of a very close friend of the family. The bride's cousin, who is a gay man, showed up in a cream colored tuxedo with little pink roses all over. The tuxedo pants were shorts. He was a total distraction from the beautiful bride. He was a jerk. Not because he was gay, but, because he upstaged the bride's day.

Think about it in the long range sense.

She is what you call a TRUE friend that likes you for you Go and be the best Maid of Honor
    Sometimes I like to dress as Linda Leigh

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.