Thread: Family restooms, airports

Family restooms, airports

I cannot find the original, about 3 weeks ago, post which asked about family restrooms facilities at Dulles Airport near Wash DC. I flew through Dulles on December 3rd. I am pretty sure I spotted a family rest room in the main ticketing lobby, outside security. But once at my gate in Concourse A, I found no family restrooms. I walked up and down the Concourse A 9 times--for exercise--as I waited.

However, there were family restrooms in the Grand Rapids Ford Airport, at least in Concourse B.

Naturally if the original poster were flying pretty through Dulles, this would make it a bit more challenging. Let us know what happened. Hope this helps. Does anybody else know or care to find out at other airports?

Banned Read only
    I think a better question would be "What laws are in place to protect our rights"

In Colorado, we are free to use the restroom appropriate to our gender-identity.

https://www.aclu.org/translaw

http://www.transgenderlaw.org/ndlaws/ColoradoFAQ.pdf

Kaylee

If you blend fairly well, I can't imagine that any traveler would give you a hard time for going into a women's restroom, going straight to a stall, doing your business, coming out and washing your hands and then leaving the restroom.

On the other hand, if you stayed at the mirror for a while, fixing makeup or adjusting your clothing, that could be disturbing to people. Maybe travel with a small mirror so that you can take care of those needs while in the stall?

Gone to live my life
    I really believe the smart choice is to determine what laws apply. Where I am from, I have asked the police department responsible for gender identity issues what legal constraints apply when using public restrooms. My fear is always scene and then end up being hauled away in handcuffs. I was told that if it is a public restroom and a complaint is lodged, the police will attend but will not arrest and simply ask you to move along. In these cases it is best not argue as then it can become an issue. In privately owned places (restaurants, malls, etc.) you need the permission of management on which restroom to use and then follow those guidelines.

Hugs

Isha

When in doubt I just use the mens.

Glad I'm not out. To have to worry about that.... Out on the farm I just try and find a bush. Lol I can see though for those of you out this could be very disturbing both ways. I wouldn't want my wife in the women's bath room with a guy dressed like a woman fixing his/ her makeup. Just sounds creepy and if I had to go to the men's dressed I really don't think I'd like that either. Too many guys don't approve of us dressing..... Now where's that bush at.... Lol.... being a CD and out at my age with a small bladder could present a problem.

If you blend you should use the restroom that you are dressed for and not have a problem

Laws or not, you may find yourself in a "situation" if you don't pass very well and a five year old girl runs out of the ladies room screaming to her father that "There's a man in there!".
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

So: do your best to blend -- wear conservative, age-appropriate clothes.

And do your best to be quick and discreet -- go straight to a stall, then quickly wash your hands and leave; don't make eye-contact or look at anyone else while in there.

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    Laws or not, you may find yourself in a "situation" if you don't pass very well and a five year old girl runs out of the ladies room screaming to her father that "There's a man in there!".
    This is why I'm starting to lean towards using the mens from now on unless I'm at a CD gala or something like it.

Banned Read only
    The TSA & Customs/Border Patrol people in the airports have seen most everything. Seeing another CD "flying pretty" is no surprise to them. I've always used the ladies room when traveling en femme. I might not be a passable as I need to be, but enough people have told me I am that I guess I just believe them now. So I'm not at all nervous traveling. If you don't look out of place, you won't be. BTW, I fly out of Memphis and Atlanta a lot, and I can't remember there not being a family restroom on any of their concourses; especially for international flights.

Too numerous to mention, but if I think about it there are common rest rooms at all major airports.

Maybe the "Orange County" Glider Club, does not have communal restrooms.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I did work in a Methadone clinic at one time and we had a couple of clients halfway through their surgical journey and they would have to leave a urine sample but we didn't know which bathroom to take them to so we checked with the police dept.what they would do and their response was it was all based on the genitalia to which area they would be directed.Fair or not that is the rule.Best to check with provincial or state law to avoid that problem

I use the one that I am presenting as. I go in, close the door, finish, wash my hands and leave.
    I have seen women in men's rooms several times, there are usually not enough stalls in the ladies room at a busy event.
    In Japan they are all co-ed anyway.
    It's a natural occurrence, don't worry about it.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    That is an excellent point, and a real concern regardless of how one "blends" in that kind of situation being read is sufficient to cause a problem. Children in the women's room is always a red flag, and although I have used the ladies room many times when there was no alternative I never, ever go in when children are in there.

I don't know why the OP's concern is being made light of. If one can go around an obstacle rather than through it, it makes more sense to go around. Check safe2pee.org, they might list the safe restrooms in airports.

There have been many restroom threads and most have agreed that using a facility that represents the gender you present is appropriate if done discreetly, whether it's in an airport, bus terminal, roadside rest stop, or any other public place should not be an issue. The issue is discretion, and as other replies have mentioned, dress to blend in, don't linger and MYOB.

That being said, I'd like to add a little twist to the restroom controversy. I have attended baseball games and other sporting events where I've witnessed women using the men's restroom, and their reason is that most can find an empty stall without standing in long lines. I have never heard of men complaining about this practice and I have'nt heard of any women getting busted for doing it.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Banned Read only
    Over the pond (uk) I always use the female toilets,when dressed,never had any complaints etc , but i did make a mistake.. only once.. on the way to home from work dressed in man work cloths, rigger boots etc, lol