The little one 4 yr old boy, that I take care of, often presents some really interesting questions for me to ponder. Recently, because of the holiday season, he has been going through the department store toy advertizements. Picking out the items that he wants to ask Santa Claus for. Sometimes a item catches his attention. Something that he likes and might want. On this occasion it happens to be a "Barbie Princess Costume." He has a box full of costumes in his playroom. A fireman (which is his favorite). A super hero (Iron-man). An army man (Funny how that one got in there?) A ninja ( In case he wants to beat me up!) . A cowboy (Yee Haw!). He even has a Tutu ( He often likes to wear it when we go skating. Not to worry. I checked it out with his father first to make sure he was Ok with it. Besides, He looks so cute in it!).
He seems to know, as much as a child of his age actually can, what the word "pretend" means. So when he asked me "Can I be a princess." My answer to him was. "Of course you can, Sweetie. You can pretend to be anything that you want." Of course, I'll have to ask his father about it. Since I promised him that "I will never do anything to influence his son in regards to gender identity." We both feel that is something he will have to decide for himself when he is old enough. Along with the other hard questions of life.
I've been hearing a lot in the media lately about doctors discovering how different the male and female brains are wired. (Like "Duh!",We didn't know that already!)

It kinda made me wonder."What part does a child's choice of play have to do with laying down the foundation of cerebral circuits?"

Call it "Cross-playing", the propensity to favor playing with the opposite genders toys. (IE, a boy playing with dolls or a girl playing with trucks or blocks.)

It is a scientific fact that the act of play is very important to a child's development.

As for myself, I remember playing with toys of both types when I was little. I even played dress-up (In girl's clothes.)with my little sisters. But I also played "War" in the woods with my other brothers too! (Bang-Bang "You're dead!"." So I think that both types of play sort of balanced each-other out.Which answers my question as to how come I'm such a "Tomboy" and not tipped towards either the totally "Fem" or the "Masculine" side. (A yin and yang thing going there. Works for me.)

So what is the question here? Is there one? Or has Dawnmarrie1961 totally lost it again? ("Go back and play with your comic books, Dawnmarrie! You don't have anything important to say!)

Only time will tell