Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think this gives us a bad reputation...does it offend you ?

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar

Do you think this gives us a bad reputation...does it offend you ?

Sorry If this has been brought up before...and sorry for being a bit dark here...but does that scene in Silence Of The Lambs where the killer crossdresses bother you ? Do you feel we get a bad wrap for it ? Do you think it has hurt us or made us look bad? It IS a pretty creepy scene. Our public image is important...and this scene just does not help us at all.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 12-13-2013 at 04:31 AM. Reason: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_photography

In a suburb of Auckland, a large group of CD / TS hookers gather every night to do trade.
    They pee on the side walk, poo in peoples lawns and abuse the locals.
    They also make national news headlines with their offensive behavior regularly.
    They move through the city as each neighbourhood kicks them out, 6 months here, 5 months there etc

So no, I'm not offended by a fictional killer who crossdresses
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

thats gross ...my point is though although fictional...it shows us in a very dark light...people believe what they see, and I think it makes us look bad...

Hey Adriana, Agreed, that is quite a dark and creepy portrayal of a CD'er.
    I'm sure there are some people out there that see that image any time cross dressing is brought up.
    I can only hope that I don't become a serial killer and further hurt our community.
    How do you feel about seeing the Rocky Horror Picture Show? Seeing that as a teenager really made me
    rethink my CD'ing, and quite possibly was responsible for putting it into remission for many years.

Gone to live my life
    To be honest, I think people see what they want to so and certain images only confirm a belief. If the person is a good person and thinks "to each their own" then an image like that would do little to change their opinion. However, if the person in question already thinks we are weird or perverted, this is the type of image which would give them cause to say "I knew it, that is exactly what they are like". In the end however, they already had a bad opinion of us. Where it could damage is those people who sit on the fence about opinions it could drive them opposite direction . . . that is why I try to present in a congenial and friendly manner when out and an about.

Hugs

Isha

I actually enjoyed rocky horror...so maybe I have a double standard I guess ..I got a kick out of it, and saw it as pure fun...but S.O.L really puts a picture in ignorant peoples minds... not to mention makes me VERY cautious with craigslist

I didn't know that cross-dressers had a good reputation in the first place. So besides weirdos or sexual deviants and thanks to Silence of the Lambs, people will we're all serial killers as well?

I'm sorry to say I don't feel properly 'represented' by a large portion of the real cross-dressing population, so I'm not all that worried about a fictional character. If I really was offended by a fictional character I probably would have to reassess my priorities.

very good point Zylia....

Silence of the lambs was made to shock people, in the overall picture crossdressing is not a big feature.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Unfortunately, the media has a far more powerful impact on our daily lives than many of us fully comprehend. Yet it is mostly how the "news" and talk/ reality shows portray us that does most of the damage. The guy who wrote the Rocky Horror Picture Show considers himself gender fused, and 70 percent male 30 female. (Made for an interesting read, BBC article... have to look it up again!) So his intention was more fun and comedic then hurtful to us. The Silence of the Lambs is a very specific character study, and even the most jaded viewer (I am going out on a limb here!!) probably doesn't imagine the average CD is designing their own skin dress!

Aspiring Member Dawna Ellen Bays's Avatar
    It should be noted out that both Clarice and Hannibal Lecter both make a point of letting the audience know that "Buffalo Bill" (as the killer was known) was NOT a real transsexual. Clarice went as far to disagree about his "transsexualism" by stating "Transsexuals tend to be very passive."

What I find even more interesting is that Ted Levine, who played "Bill" (who has had quite a successful career after "Silence...") most often plays cops and authority figures in his roles.

I will say that I have seen more than my fair share of internet trolls using that scene to shed a negative light on not only us, but GGs as well. I have a favorite female singer who is very tall and a bit "mannish" in the face who receives a lot of negativity on the web. Often it's the Austin Powers "She's a MAN, baby!" line, but she gets a lot of "put the lotion in the basket!" comments, too...

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Your image may be part of it, but a big part of what the public assumes it that we are all drag queens. Heavy make up and over exaggerated outfits. Most people dont understand its just part of who we are. Not trying to cause any harm or problems, just trying to be comfortable with ourselves.
    Erica

Most people are lead as sheep very easily, especially by the Media. Thinking people are not.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    My ex-wife didn't like me dressing cause of the movie Dressed to Kill.

Call me old fashioned, but I think serial killers have a worse reputation than CD's.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Of course I'm not happy with anything that reflects poorly on my particular fetish. It's just another of those things I can do very little about, so I don't spend any time or angst thinking about it. I have lots of way more fun and important things to think about.

I don't much care for Silence of the Lambs, but I also don't care much for Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Ru Pauls Drag Race, or The Birdcage.
    But I'm then not a serial killer, or a drag "showgirl"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Marie View Post
    Of course I'm not happy with anything that reflects poorly on my particular fetish. It's just another of those things I can do very little about, so I don't spend any time or angst thinking about it. I have lots of way more fun and important things to think about.
    Serial killing, or dressing as a girl?

There have been numerous movies and TV shows with this type of theme or character.
    It doesn't bother me as it is "fiction" per se. It's no worse than other groups being shown stereotypically.

If we as a community present ourselves in the best light that we can then I think it will more than compensate for what Hollywood does.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Creepy comes in all forms. Killer. Mayor of a big city. etc etc
    No, I'm not offended.

interesting dialogue.

funny that when i told my wife recently about my CD'ing, she brought this scene in this movie up. so this scene clearly stuck with her and she quickly associated my "news" with this movie.

overall though, it did not make this conversation any worse -- to answer your question

kelly

Always Stephanie Now! Stephanie Sometimes's Avatar
    Not offended but I agree that it contributes to give us a bad rap but only because there is a lack of more positive portrayals of CD’ers in the media. I enjoy Rocky Horror but that is camp and fits into a different category of film not to mention that is anything but mainstream. Silence of the Lambs is made to be a creepy film and the serial killer was portrayed as a CD’er to leverage on the feelings of john Q public that we are creepy. They were following Hitchcock’s formula in Psycho (which was a great film notwithstanding the insane serial killer as CD plot gimmick, I forgive Hitch because he’s one of my faves).

A recently released film, Dallas Buyers Club, has another stereotypical portrayal of a CD’er. The role of Rayon in the film was masterfully and poignantly played by Jared Leto who just may win best supporting actor in the Academy Awards for his performance. In this case Rayon, the CD, is not creepy but is a sad case of a down and out drug addict dying from AIDS who walks around in the daylight dressed like a draq queen most of the time. Not a positive portrayal of CD’s at all, I was really disappointed when I saw this film as a result. Anyone else seen Dallas Buyers Club and have an opinion on this?

If anyone knows of films that have more positive portrayals of CD’ers I would love to hear about them. Guess I need to search the archives in this forum for some suggestions.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller (The Open Door)

"I give her my heart but she wanted my soul...But don't think twice, it's all right" Bob Dylan (1963)

If this was 1991 when the movie was made we might have cause to discuss it's impact on the general population. But it's well over twenty years ago now. In any case it's made clear in the movie that like Hannibal Lecter the killer is very much on his own in terms of his madness. The crossdressing is incidental in any case.

You might just as well say that a movie, for example like Magnum Force (Clint Eastwood) gives a negative image of cops.

If you ask me it's movies like Tootsie and Mrs Doubtfire that annoy the hell out of me. I absolutely detest both of them.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    It's what Hollywood does to EVERYTHING! Makes up crap about everybody and everything. This has been going on since the very beginning of televised media. Why? Because no one wants to watch regular folks living every day lives in movies and on TV.

I was upset as a youngster. After watching a silly teen surf movie where riding your surfboard, ("shooting the pier"), under the near by Huntington Beach pier was the most incredible thing a surfer could do. Of course, someone in the film was killed attempting it. And, the star a hero for making it thru. But, in fact, even rank beginners like me thot nothing of going under that pier.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    Creepy comes in all forms. Killer. Mayor of a big city. etc etc
    No, I'm not offended.
    I certainly hope your talking about the mayor of my city. If it was found that Rob ford was a serial killer or a CD, it would be no surprise.