Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DUI Checkpoint

DUI Checkpoint

Last night I went out dressed for my usual Friday night out in the city. It began with a 12 step meeting in the Castro where I am the secretary. After the meeting 6 of us went out for a nice dinner.

Then I met up with Allie and Rachael from this site at an Italian Restaurant where we had coffee and dessert. The girls knew the staff of course. Everyone was very sweet to us. I glided through the neighborhood where there was a more mainstream population. It seems so natural now to be out.

So here is where it gets good. I said goodbye to the ladies and headed back over the bridge toward home. As I exited at my town I saw a familiar weekend sight, a DUI check point. They had floodlights and there were several local police. I pulled up and smiled at the the male officer. He said hello and asked for my license. I don't think he had realized yet as he said mam. As I handed him my license I said you may have a good laugh. He shot me a glance and looked at my license. He turned to the female officer and said, " This is Blank saying my male name." She smiled at me. He asked if I had been drinking and I said not in almost 12 years. The lady officer asked if I had been having a good time. I said yes a very good time but my wife is patiently waiting for me to get home. They told me to be safe and said goodbye.

I loved the experience. I was confident and happy. We do not have to hide! It was a great way to end the evening!

Hugs
    Suzanne

Hi Suzanne, that maybe true in CA, but I might not have such a pleasant experience here in South Carolina. I am going out dressed tonight and I pray that I do not have any contact with law enforcement.

Suzanne, I'm really happy to hear about your experience. God, I love California!!!

Now be careful when you go to Bakersfield!!!

Sabrina - yeah other states may not be so accepting. If you're worried, try avoiding known DUI checkpoints, or don't be out too late at night. Don't drink and drive, and obey all traffic laws.

You should never drink and drive period. DUI checkpoints are one thing I really am grateful that law enforcement does.
    Last edited by Michelle789; 12-14-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Suzanne, it must have been that espresso you had after dessert. I am glad you had a good experience before, during and after, plus on the way home. I am also glad that you got home safely.

Sabrina ,
    I was traveling to Florida last year and was stopped ,in South Carolina,at a check point by the State Police and I was polite with them and they checked my info and told me to have a nice day and drive safe .I don`t know about the locals ,but the state police were very professional.

It is ominous that they call them "DUI checkpoints" and then they insist on "checking zee papers." They should call them "Drivers' License, Registration, and Insurance checkpoints"

Around here they actually publish statistics on who they catch. They usually catch zero drunks, but at least a couple of dozen folks with expired registrations. Follow the money...
    Last edited by Eryn; 12-14-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Eryn, I wonder how many illegal immigrants they catch.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

The Android App "Trapster" shows several speed traps, road hazzards etc. They use to have an icon specifically for DUI checkpoints but they were pressured to remove it. It is a user populated app so it still might come in handy if you see someone has marked a spot.

I've been stopped by police in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachesetts for headlights out etc. All but one have been very professional and polite. I think that is the norm most places. If not, hope you have your dashcam turned on!
    Sally

Great story! Times are changing, we might not fully enjoy the benefits of society fully accepting us ,thanks to people like you taking chances out in the real world will allow for future generations of CDs to be themselves without prejudice.

Thanks

Oh I miss California, I live in a very conservative Hispanic area of Texas which is why I have been avoiding going out
    "Understanding is the first step toward acceptance." Albus Dumbledore

You'd think the coppers in an area so rich in LGBT culture wouldn't be fazed by such encounters! But whaddayeknow!

Banned Read only
    Stopped numerous times; only asked out once--went, had a great time!!! Don't be alarmed; be yourself.

I was pulled over for speeding and got a verbal warning without incident. Was traveling with a GG who doesn't like interaction with police, this was the biggest challenge. To be fair, it just outside of SF, CA, so I doubt I was the least bit interesting to the police

glad you had fun with it. i have had only one experience with the police. i was scared to death and almost pooped my panties when they arrived,
    but i must say that they were very polite and professional...kinda cute too
    paula

Suzanne,
    Handle it politely and a little levity does not hurt.
    You did well.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    The People's Republic of California issues driver's licenses to illegal immigrants and does not turn them over to the Fed unless they have committed a felony, and even then they don't always report them. If they have a license, registration, and insurance they would have no problem.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    Now that is an excellent question! Since those in power just pick and choose the laws they feel like enforcing and ignore the ones they don't like, I doubt it.

I have never been pulled over dressed, but boy did I have an unique experience with law enforcement! I was staying with a friend after going out dressed one night, it was early in the morning and I heard a ruckus in the living room. I got up to see what was going on and I was greeted with the local cops in the living room, questioning my friend. I ended up in my lavender nightie, looking like a guy in a lavender nightie with my hands out (they didn't aim their weapons at me at least.) As it turns out, someone robbed the gas station across the street at gunpoint and ran into the trailer park we were in. I will tell you, these small town cops didn't miss a beat, asked to see my ID to make sure I wasn't the guy they were looking for, said "Sorry for bothering you guys", and left. Never asked why I was dressed like I was, never asked my friend why she was dressed, never even reacted to us. Go figure.

Speaking from the perspective of a "retired Police Officer" Law Enforcement is like any other profession, there will always be a few who don't represent their pears well. For the most part I think LEOs are professional and just trying to do their job protecting the public. It is a very difficult job and getting harder all the time, so try and see things from the other side of the car window.

So glad you had a good experience and thanks for sharing it.

Well done Suzanne! Missed you and Allie last night.

Debby
    Debby

Great story, just be yourself!

The only time (that I can remember, anyway) that I've had a conversation with a police officer was a very nice chat with a port authority cop a few years ago. I had biked up to the top of the Ben Franklin bridge here in Philly wearing a nice dress and heels. I remember standing near the top when I hear from behind me - "those don't look like biking shoes!". I turned and had a very pleasant chat with a cop who was probably just checking me out to make sure I wasn't a potential jumper, but he didn't seem the least bit phased when I opened my mouth and removed any question about my maleness...

Best, SS

Blondes Have More Fun Jennifer Kelly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    It is ominous that they call them "DUI checkpoints" and then they insist on "checking zee papers." They should call them "Drivers' License, Registration, and Insurance checkpoints"
    Hmm. I've been lucky enough to only run into one of those in my life and it was back 1998 when I was in my mid-20's. The officer asked to see my license and asked me if I had been drinking, but didn't ask for registration or proof of insurance. Flash forward 15 years and the state of California is broke. I'm sure they're trying to make a little money at these things now as well.

That's certainly good to hear! I am always concerned about being stopped in a rural area here in SC.

Around here the police are only interested in finding impaired drivers at RIDE checks. By not asking for papers, they can stop more drivers in a given period of time, as well as not irritating the innocent. In my experience, they don't ask to see the driver's paperwork unless they're under suspicion of being intoxicated. Fortunately, I've never been in that position.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Great job Suz glad you had a nice night.
    The police around here are well versed in CD/TG people and are very professional when you come in contact with them.