Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your exercise routine ? What moves are helping you get fem ?

Workout? I get winded from a fast game of solitaire, a real workout would land me in the ICU...

I closed 2013 with 2600 miles on the road bike. Not much mileage from October to December due to lack of light. Running and skiing fills the gap between bike seasons.

Kayaking and bike riding spring summer and fall skiing winter.

Love all the running around going on,lol! I am sooooo proud! Liz j-without seeing how many miles a week you are doing I can give a general answer on increasing speed

To get faster, the trick is to get longer along with cross training. You should be increasing your mileage around 10% per week. This will increase your endurance and mental concentration. Your LR pace needs to be around three mins slower than your 5k pace..if 10:00mm then it would be 13:00mm, etc.
    Speed workouts is another must...4x400s are a great speed workout to build your vo2max
    and your lactic threshold.
    For example, if you wanted to run eight minutes per mile, your quarter-mile race pace would need to be two minutes. The workout pace per lap should in this case be 1 minute, 52 seconds. Walk for half a lap between the 400s.For example, if you usually run three minutes and walk a minute, during the half mile (two laps around a track) you should run a minute/walk a minute. Next, jog very slowly for a lap. Finally, do four to eight acceleration laps
    Start each with a slow jog for 10 steps, then a faster jog for 10 steps. Over the next 15 steps, gradually speed up to what you feel is your 5K race pace and then gradually glide back to a jog over the next 30 to 40 steps. Gliding is similar to coasting off of momentum gained as you go down a hill and onto the flat.
    If you practice this at least once a week, you will learn how to save the running muscles while you are running. Walk for 30 seconds between each glider, and walk for two to three minutes between the last one and the start of your first 400-meter repetition.
    After your workout, don't stop. Jog slowly, using as many walk breaks as you need for the next 10 minutes, and then walk for three to five minutes.
    I hope this advice helps! I have used and written a few running articles for runners world and this advice worked for me...good luck.
    Adriana, that is quite a bit of miles you are logging a week as you just hit your first ten! The first ten are quite a milestone! Congrats to you. How long have you been running? Just be mindful of the 10% rule! as this tends to keep down the injuries so that we can make it to those races we train so hard for! Of course I say this as I am running through a stress fracture due to overtraining,lol. Runners are a stubborn breed!
    Good luck to all in your next races!
    Ms. G
    Last edited by Jessica giovanna; 12-30-2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added sig
    Vegan runners are sexy!!!

I found that having a coach that gave me scheduled workouts every week worked miracles. I hate to disappoint him so I really do the workouts at the pace he gives me. I went from no running at all a little over 2 years ago to qualifying for the Boston Marathon. It all started with one step out of the door. Start slow and have a person to be accountable too!
    Hugs
    Suzanne

Suz.....I want to do the big sur.....have you done it? Love to hear bq's!
    Thought we should add pics if you want to.when I ran the savannah rock n roll marathon....did the half due to the stress fx...but very fun! And the dark on was a charity half I did called the area 13.1..aliens and all,lol. It was in Roswell ga...see how they did that...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jessica giovanna; 12-30-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Oops wrong pic
    Vegan runners are sexy!!!

Let me check with my SO before I post a male pic of myself. I plan on running Big Sur since I am about 2 hours away. Many people do Boston and then do Big Sur the next week. Since it wil be 2015 I am not sure yet. Half way thinking about running New. York same year if I can qualify! You look great!
    Suzanne

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    jessica...thanks for the 10% rule info...will put it to use. I find that after the 10 miles i am a bit sore, so i keep it to every other day for the 10 miles...I have been jogging since the summer but only took it serious since October and I am now addicted to it....I am averaging 6.5 miles in an hour...is this good? I feel every week its getting faster and faster ...it was 5.5 miles an hour in Oct. My main goal is to lose some muscle mass, and read that long distance running, and a cut in protien and calories were the way to go...somewhere in between there I got addicted to running I have so much more energy now ! A great playlist of songs that inspire your dressing on your ipod really goes a long way on the treadmill!

Swimming daily. I believe swimming is the perfect exercise for health. No impact, aerobic, and stretches the whole body if you do it right. I switch up several different swim strokes during my workout. I know we joke about using swimming as an excuse for shaving for those who need one, but it really is nice to not have chlorine soaking into your hair. Chlorine every day drys your skin out and putting on any kind of lotion is much easier when it isn't matting into your body hair. Your nails also dry out a lot when you swim and they will split much easier, and the solution many recommend is some kind of nail polish to keep the chlorine water from drying them out. I use the OPI base coat and then a top coat of the OPI matte finish. I know it sounds like I'm using it as an excuse, but swimming really does dry your skin and nails and it really does help to shave and coat the nails. Many have the hair break off due to over drying, and I have considered putting some kind of moisturizer on my eyebrows so they don't fall out due to the multiple chlorine exposures. I already purchased a swim cap so the hair on my head doesn't turn green or fall out due to the drying. I feel so much better after my swim, I have not lost a lot yet, but I plan to keep it up for quite some time. Who knows, maybe I will slim down before the next southern comfort conference 2014. Hey, a girl can dream.
    Last edited by Jenny Gurl; 01-01-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Most of those already know,..for me...it is recreational adult ballet. I take 2 classes a week for 1.5 hr each. Plus one private beginning pointe class. I have been doing adult ballet for over 20 yrs now, but just started pointe work (finally worked up the courage to ask//find an instructor for the pointe work) this past year. I also like to walk, and I am planning to start riding my bicycle again, and try to do more swimming once I retire. I also do some light weight training home to keep toned, and complement my ballet workouts.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    In the days when I still had a full compliment of cartilage I used to run. I'm already two inches shorter so I've curtailed that activity, but a year of physical therapy for my surgically replaced rotator cuff has been an eye opener for replacing and building muscle where you want it.

So I'm collecting a se t of exercises to build my butt and strengthen my core. I've also got a trainer in the wings if I don't show enough improvement. It should be an interesting year!
    Last edited by suchacutie; 01-05-2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo

Some basic female yoga made me really happy. Sticking to routines made for women, it put me in better shape and makes me feel very fem every time i do it. I especially like stretching, breathing and foot exercises. Now it would be nice to find a CD girlfriend to do it with.

I found a workout routine on you tube called "Bombshell Body Workout"
    It worked pretty good, but I concentrated more on the parts of it that concentrated
    on my waist. As I progressed, I went well beyond the number of reps they recommended.
    I also added sit ups to the routine. Started slow, about 3 sets 20 at a time, slowly increased to
    40, 60, 80, 100. At one point I was doing about 4 times the recommended work out and 400 sit ups
    Along with a very lean diet, low carb intake, and majority of carbs for breakfast. I lost nearly 30 lbs.
    From around 180 to currently hovering around 150. Sorry no before photos. Thank god !
    Remember if it was easy, everybody would do it, and that growl in your stomach? Thats just skinny trying to fight it's way out!
    Much Love,
    Kristyn

150....wow. I am down to 164 and I am 5 foot 11. How tall are you, girl?
    Last edited by Lorileah; 01-06-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: no need to quote whole post above yours

5'9" girlfriend
    p.s. DIETS SUCK! but they get easier once you start seeing some results.

lucky you. We should exercise together sometime....help each other with stretching, etc....and I just got a cute little yoga dress!
    Last edited by Lorileah; 01-06-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: no need to quote whole post above yours

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    yes!!!! Kristyn....that is THE workout video....does wonders for the body!!!!!

[QUOTE=Jenny Gurl;3392598]Swimming daily. I believe swimming is the perfect exercise for health... [QUOTE]

Ditto Jenny Gurl about swimming. My primary motivation for swimming is for health and protecting the joints. I get up every morning at 5:00 AM and swim a minimum 2 miles. It may sound tough but your body gets used to the regimen after a while. Swimming is similar to running. After the first 10-15 minutes, my body switches to autopilot and I sort of zone out so to speak.

The chlorine and water are rough on my skin and hair. Good showering afterwards with an unscented soap and followed with skin moisturizer helps. Gills may form after swimming for so many years.
    Someone else's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    As a nurse, I'm on my feet all day. I sit for a 1/2 hour lunch and if lucky the last hour of my shift. Couple that with portion control when eating and doing Yoga on my Wii I've dropped 22 lbs and 2 dress sizes since the middle of Sept. I think the hardest part was not eating one piece of candy at Halloween.

I find myself looking for the same answers i would like to maybe gain a butt and hips but i have a different problem i have been same size and weight for last 30 years 150lbs in winter and drop to 140 in summer. I have tried to gain weight wether it be muscle mass or even that ugly word fat. In my late teens I even tried a 6000 calorie a day diet with no change. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
    Last edited by Patsy Ann; 01-06-2014 at 08:15 PM.

I really enjoy Jessica Smith's Boot Camp DVD....it has 10min sessions with a Skills & Drills (Cardio & Agility), Total Body, Upper Body, Lower Body and Abs. Pairing a couple of those together help burn some fat & tone without bulk.

dont have a workout plan. I do walk quite a bit though.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987